Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rappahannock Commission Asking for Ideas for 610!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rappahannock Commission Asking for Ideas for 610!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rappahannock Commission Asking for Ideas for 610!
    Posted: 04 Oct 2002 at 9:03am
All 610 Commuters,
I received and email from the Rappahannock Area Development Commission asking for ideas from slugs on how to fix the problem with the 610 Lot. Here is what they said:

"Webmaster,
Because of the conditions which currently exist our organization, The
Rappahannock Area Development Commission, is working with others to
develop options that would be effective in assisting the commuters to meet their needs due to the recent reduction in available parking spaces along Prosperity Ln. and Staffordboro Blvd in the 610 Corridor of Stafford County."

So, if you have any ideas please post them here!

Matrix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2002 at 10:12am
Just an idea -

I believe there should be an effort to spread the word by handing out flyers in the mornings and evenings at 610. A lot of people are either not aware or not able to access this web site. After there is a collection of ideas, I think that the Rappahannock Area Development Commission should host a meeting that is widely publicized and that all commuters can attend and vote.

In the interim, I don't think people who are just trying to get to work should be threatened by tickets or towing. It is not their fault that the parking lot built 10 years ago does not hold the capacity of commuter residents that exists today.

I don't know an answer that will work for everyone - but I do know that something needs to be done shortly because the situation is not getting any better. From what I understand the smaller lot off Staffordboro Blvd will be eliminated for the development of the new shopping center. The new spots that are to be added to the existing larger lot should be done so before the smaller lot is closed - also, there should be more than 150 spots added. In addition, it would be helpful if there is another outlet. The road past the school used to be open - why can it be open after school hours? Many of us arrive at the lot by 5:30 - 6:15 well after school activities.

Perhaps all DC Commuters could use one lot, and Pentagon & surrounding areas could use another lot. Another lot meaning Mine Rd.

For me the better solution would be to use 630. There is less traffic and it saves me 40-60mins of commuting time/day.

As for future plans, the lots should have direct access from I-95 (similar to the Horner Rd. lot off Prince William Pkwy) and they should have more than one outlet. Also, the lots need to be built and planned for future growth. I believe Stafford County is the 2nd fastest growing county in Virginia and I have heard there are some 17000 people that commute/day to the DC metro area from Stafford/Fredericksburg area.

Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2002 at 11:50am
I am not a 610 slug but have been following this discussion. One possibility that I see would be for the county to at least temporarily run an afternoon shuttle bus between 610 and Mine Road. Until more parking can be arranged or until new lines get established. Just a thought. How big is Mine Road lot?

MarkJaws View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkJaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2002 at 8:55am
I have spoken to VDOT and they have given me in a laissez-faire manner the green light to organize and orchestrate an effort to use the Mine Road Slug Parking lot for Rosslyn Riders and Drivers. That way we will alleviate the crowding in the Staffordborough parking lot and avoid the double whammy spectre of (1) slugs having to cross 610 in the morning or evening and (2) drivers having to drop off slugs at both Staffordborough and Mine Road slug lots. I will put out fliers shortly. Any questions, comments, or suggestions, call Mark J at 540 657 4012 or 703 696 9490.

Martys View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2002 at 9:40am
The move of one line to another parking lot is a good idea. Things seem to have calmed down since the article in Sunday's Free Lance Star concerning the 630 lot. However parking after 7:00am is a no-go.

It would seem that the NVa/Pentagon line would be more suited for the Mine Rd lot (more bodies and traffic). Either way, not everyone is going to be happy; someone will still complain!

Patricia View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patricia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2002 at 9:41am
I've lived and commuted from/to Stafford for only 3 weeks and am already frustrated with the parking and traffic in and out of the 610 commuter lot. Being unfamiliar with the area, I'm sort of stuck with the 610 lot until I venture out to find another commuter lot. I agree with Matrix thoughts on this issue. The new spots that are to be added to the existing larger lot should be done so before any commuter parking spaces are taken away by shopping development. It is obvious that the 610 lot could be doubled in size and be fully utilized.

Another outlet from/to the old lot is an excellent idea. One similar to the Horner Road setup would be ideal. It appears that the 610 lot is close enough to the highway for this to be accomplished. If enough forethought is put into direct highway ramps before completion of the shopping center, then I believe it could be done.

Matrix brings up another good idea, The road that runs through Anne E. Moncure Elementary used to be open. This road could be used to lessen afternoon traffic exiting the commuter lot. It could be opened from 430pm and remain open until 730am Monday thru Friday. Inbound and outbound traffic could then use it and it wouldn't interfere with school hours. Perhaps contruction of a road that runs behind Anne E. Moncure Elem and connects to the access road in the new Doc Stone Shopping Plaza would be an option to ease traffic during the am and pm rush hours for those traveling west on 610.

The Mine Road lot is definitely under utilized. I have no problem getting to the lot in the am, but the pm is a totally differnt story. Access to this lot from Rt 610 is horrible for drivers and walkers in the pm. There is absolutely no merge time from the south bound 95 exit ramp to the turn lane for the Mine Road lot and the traffic is backed for the next light as well. This makes accessing the Mine Road lot too much of a hassel for most drivers. This lot could also have a direct access road from 95 with less construction than one for the old 610 commuter lot. I'm sure airial topography would show this. A crosswalk with signals at the 610/Staffordbourough intersection is a good idea. And sidewalks from one lot to the other would be nice too. There is an 'old lot' 'new lot' process used at the Tackett's Mill lots in Lake Ridge that works great. The walking distance between the two lots is much shorter, but with crosswalks, signals and sidewalks it's doable.

I've heard that buses will begin routing to the Mine Road lot, if this is true, that's a step in the right direction. Splitting the slug line is a good idea if the traffic patterns can be fixed to make Mine Road Lot access easier.

Patricia
Stafford/610
shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2002 at 10:33am
That would be nice if they could build an exit ramp straight from
I-95 to the commuter lots but I don't think it's doable because there is going to be a huge shopping center going in all that open space there and I don't think they want a ramp going over their stores. Not to mention that Stafford County or VDOT for that matter doesn't seem to have enough money to do much of anything in regards to improving the roads and commuter lots in our area.

My suggestion two years ago was to build a parking garage structure rather than a standard commuter lot at the Staffordbourough site. I was told then that it was too expensive to do that, so that is when they built the Mine Road lot. I told them way back then that people would not want to use it because it is very hard to get to in the evenings but they built it anyways because that's where they had land to use and now hardly anyone utilizes it. In my opinion the Mine Road lot was a great big waste of money.

Opening up the school road is a bad idea because there are still after school activities that take place and it would make for a dangerous situation and an insurance liability for the school. Also, they are experiencing major back-ups coming out of the Doc Stone shopping center there since they built that new Giant Foods store. My current suggestion would be to open that road that connects to Prosperity Lane. There is already a light there but they just need to do a little construction and open the road there. That could also be a possibility about where to put the crosswalk at since it is the road that leads right to the Mine Road lot.

Of course if the Stafford County Board of Supervisors would do what they said they would do, they would slow the sprawl on Route 610 and make the developers pay proffers to improve the roads, schools, and emergency services.

Tisa Shillingburg
DC_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2002 at 11:30am
To all 610 sluggers.

Everyone should sit back and look at this situation. It's not that bad, it just takes motivation.
The 610 lot (behind McDonalds) has 721 parking spaces. The Mine Rd. lot has 770 parking spaces. Between these two lots we have more than enough spaces for all the commuters in Stafford. Now out of the few times I have slugged from this lot out of everyone's mouth I have heard, "Wow, this is so much more convienant". Yeah you might think it will be difficult in the evenings, but have you tried it? There are two entrances and exits and frankly I get home a lot faster. Now there is a problem with being dropped off in either or both of the lots, but generally someone in the car with you will take you over to the Mine Rd. lot.
Now I am sure it will improve over time, once people stop complaing and start trying it. So far the DC sluggers have been the only ones in the Mine Rd. lot. If that is the way we have to leave it, fine. Most of us have not had a problem getting to work. In fact, it's easier. Yesterday morning I got there at 7:15 and within 5 minutes I had a ride to DC.
The only way this "Problem" is ever going to be worked out is if people keep an open mind and just stop being afraid to try something new.
Check out the Mine Rd. lot. You might find that it's a better way to get to work.
The roads and the lots are not going to change just because a few people can't get to work or don't like the situation....so take matters into your own hands and if you can't find a parking spot at the 610 lot...instead of taking the risk of being ticketed or towed...why don't you drive over to the Mine Rd lot, park (because there is always parking) and wait for a ride like everyone else does. If all the people are standing in that lot....than all the drivers will follow.

Think!
shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2002 at 11:56am
Actually, yes I have tried it because I lived back there and had to do it every day but by no means was it a pleasant experience. Making a left turn whether it be at the first or second light, is not easy. Nothing about driving on Route 610 is convenient or easy. That's why I choose to slug from Route 630. It saves me time and aggravation.

Tisa Shillingburg
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2002 at 12:06pm
quote:

I have spoken to VDOT and they have given me in a laissez-faire manner the green light to organize and orchestrate an effort to use the Mine Road Slug Parking lot for Rosslyn Riders and Drivers. That way we will alleviate the crowding in the Staffordborough parking lot and avoid the double whammy spectre of (1) slugs having to cross 610 in the morning or evening and (2) drivers having to drop off slugs at both Staffordborough and Mine Road slug lots. I will put out fliers shortly. Any questions, comments, or suggestions, call Mark J at 540 657 4012 or 703 696 9490.

Oh great. Now we have another guy trying to move a line. There is nothing wrong with the Rosslyn line so leave it alone. If you have a problem try to find a solution that doesn't involve destroying an existing line that works for hundreds of people. Try to create a new line rather than moving one. Did you try the 630 line? Did it work for you? Why do you think moving the Rosslyn line is a good idea?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic