Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

$3 Gas = Longer Slug Lines ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $3 Gas = Longer Slug Lines ???
    Posted: 19 Apr 2006 at 7:11am
At 6:30 this morning approximately 30 slugs in line at Sydenstricker. Last month, same time, there were normally no more than 10 slugs in line. Nice weather [8D] and $3 gas prices [V]are the most likely causes.

[?] Are you seeing the same at the other morning and afternoon slug lines? [?]
bigmike View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2006 at 11:07am
actually, no, I couldnt find ONE single slug this morning. :-(

I gotta get a new car, the cavy is only getting 25mpg on the highway now and the clutch is almost SHOT! Time to upgrade...
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2006 at 11:52am
bigmike - consider getting a hybrid. Future generations will appreciate it.

SluDgE - last time gas spiked around Katrina, the same sort of thing happened. Also, 122 continued a debate on tips/subsidies for drivers. Seems reasonable that if there are more slugs than drivers, than taking a 3rd helps, but that 3rd should pay since there is no benefit to the driver, unlike the 1st 2 passengers.
bigmike View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2006 at 12:07pm
Actually, I was considering the new Civic. $15k and I get 40mpg on the highway. Thats almost hybrid territory.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2006 at 2:30pm
The slug lines always get longer in the summer, and gas prices are giving people more incentive to slug or take the bus. This is the usual pattern. Eventually, people get used to the gas prices and the balance is restored.

Things do seem more erratic now, though.

BTW, NoBrai... I mean, NoSUV: If the 3rd should pay, then the driver should pay BOTH slugs when there is a long line of cars and no people. Like every Friday morning at Horner Road's 14th St. and Pentagon lines.

Howzabout me sticking my giant yellow noggin in your passenger window and yelling "Only $2 to drive me to work!"

This is the scenario our Fluor "friends" envision when the Tool Roads come.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2006 at 2:39pm
Sponge, welcome back! Yep, you are absolutely correct in that the next logical step is for toll roads. Sort of like what the parking meters say: all that park, all must pay, only all that use the express lanes, all must pay for that priviledge. Sure sorts out the complaints about hybrids.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2006 at 2:40pm
quote:
Originally posted by bigmike
[br]Actually, I was considering the new Civic. $15k and I get 40mpg on the highway. Thats almost hybrid territory.

big - it's not just the mileage, but also the emissions. Pay more but make the world a better place.
bigmike View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2006 at 2:55pm
it is a LEV Tier 2 vehicle, which means emissions are EXTREMELY low, and I havent driven a hybrid yet but come on, how thrilling can an electric motor vehicle be? Im not trying to merge into traffic with my hazards on...
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2006 at 3:21pm
Ah, NoSUV, you stepped right into my trap. The Parking Space Inequity Problem. (Or P-SIP.)

Imagine a Manhattan neighborhood...

What if the parking meters there charged you more per hour based on the number of spaces remaining open on the street? Hmmm.

Meanwhile, the Donald replaced a 50 unit apartment building with a 500-unit condo tower with no parking inside.

Well, the parking spaces on the street would fill up, right? And the price to park would skyrocket based on market forces, in an ever-increasing rate spiral.

Until the price rose so high that only the very wealthiest could afford a parking space.

Is this the society we want to create?
go2grl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote go2grl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2006 at 3:22pm
The gas prices have turned me from a driver to a slug.

SHAKE1T
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic