Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRoster call

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2006 at 10:40pm
Wagonman: Comparing an '02 Prius to an '06 Explorer is about as relevant as comparing the fuel economy and emissions of a '55 Chevy to an '02 Prius. Also, please be consistent on the mpg figures you use - using actual for one and EPA for the other is not quite right.

NoSB: a moment of weakness on a bad day. My apologies.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 6:56am
NoSUV,
Understood. We all have them, it's just what we decide to do with what we're given. On to better days and better choices!

Let's SLUG!

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 7:47am
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]Wagonman: Comparing an '02 Prius to an '06 Explorer is about as relevant as comparing the fuel economy and emissions of a '55 Chevy to an '02 Prius. Also, please be consistent on the mpg figures you use - using actual for one and EPA for the other is not quite right.

NoSB: a moment of weakness on a bad day. My apologies.

Comparing the two is very relevant when one still gets "clean" fuel plates and the other doesn't. You're the one that preaches that your saving the world by driving a hybrid and that any hybrid is better than a conventional vehicle. Once you start qualifying your statements about hybrids to follow reality then you can complain about me pointing out just how "clean" your car is and that you get "clean fuel" plates to drive SOV in HOV. How about an '06 Insight being dirtier than that same '06 V8 Explorer? Is that more to your liking?

I did use the approximate "actual" in the follow up in that same post to give the full picture. Most reports I've seen also only give the civic hybrd 40 MPG for the "actual". So they both were 5 MPG over their supposed "actual" mileage. I can compare 40 MPG to 30 MPG for hybrid versus conventional if you want but it really doesn't change much.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 10:21am
Wagonman,

Also, you goofed on the 15K miles - unless you are a non-driving for the commute slug. If you are coming from Stafford, it's about 40 miles 1 way. Round trip x 5 days/week x 50 weeks brings you to 20K miles, and that's ONLY for the commute! Get more real.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 3:15pm
Does anyone know the avg cost of the Ford Hybrid truck?

:'}
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2006 at 10:34pm
[?] What model truck? [?]
Only Ford hybrid I've seen advertised is the small SUV, named the Escape.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2006 at 10:19am
I'd lean twds that one if I was to buy a hybrid..we've been mulling the possibility of a hybrid purchase after our current car note is paid in full. I like Nissan's personally.

:'}
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2006 at 7:09am
Wagonman, perhaps we need to get the assumptions eliminated and move toward facts. Let's compare something from the manufacturer's website and do a real side by side. Why not go with Honda Accord since they make both a hybrid and conventional version?

'06 Accord Hybrid (AH) lists at $30,990 with EPA of 25/34.
'06 Accord EX (EX) lists at $27,300 with EPA of 20/29.

Difference in cost is $3690; put in the $2400 tax credit and the difference is $1290. EPA difference is 5mpg.

Using 20K miles per year (justified previously in this thread), and an average of 30 mph AH; 25 mph EX, you'll spend a difference of $400/year at $3/gal.

Payback is 3-4 years.
dilbertian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilbertian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2006 at 10:10am
NoSUV, I also thought I read somewhere that the Accord Hybrid has a horsepower increase over the EX which may be reflected in better 0-60 and 1/4 mile performance as well. If you are heavy on the pedal, that should be another factor to consider.

Also, regarding the tax credit, I don't believe there is a guaranteed, fixed tax credit. Honda has a fixed pool of money and after that pool is gone, there is a declining scale I believe. So the early buyers get the full tax credit but late comers may not.

quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]Wagonman, perhaps we need to get the assumptions eliminated and move toward facts. Let's compare something from the manufacturer's website and do a real side by side. Why not go with Honda Accord since they make both a hybrid and conventional version?

'06 Accord Hybrid (AH) lists at $30,990 with EPA of 25/34.
'06 Accord EX (EX) lists at $27,300 with EPA of 20/29.

Difference in cost is $3690; put in the $2400 tax credit and the difference is $1290. EPA difference is 5mpg.

Using 20K miles per year (justified previously in this thread), and an average of 30 mph AH; 25 mph EX, you'll spend a difference of $400/year at $3/gal.

Payback is 3-4 years.

sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2006 at 2:17pm
[:0] WTOP radio reported today that Prince William County has FOUR TIMES the national average of hybrid vehicles per household. [:0]

Must be lots of fule economy and ecology-minded car owners there -- or could it be the HOV-bennie? [;)]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic