Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Afternoon Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

19th & F fyi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 19th & F fyi
    Posted: 06 Jun 2006 at 7:41am
Due to renovation work on a GW dorm, the sidewalk where people normally stand has been fenced off. Needless to say, it's a real cluster *&%$.

Some people have decided it's ok to stand at the corner. I'd suggest you move to the middle of the block closer to the bus line (or perhaps to the other side of the street).

The reason for this is to give drivers room to pull over safely. With the 3 right lanes of 19th street blocked at F street, there's insufficient space for cars to pull over in so short a distance.

(I heard that yesterday there were 2 lines - one at the corner, the other down by the busline. Curious as to how that worked out.)

I took one look at the situation yesterday and decided to walk to 14th and Constitution.
beachhead View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2006 at 11:00am
I don't know about yesterday, but Friday everyone moved down the block where the Loundon County buses stop and everything was cool. Yesterday all the lanes on 19th were open at F Street until you got to the dorm building. The fence blocks the sidewalk and the right hand lane of traffic on 19th from the corner with F to the end of the first dorm. After that, no problemo. You would have to be a lunatic to try to make a line at the corner, and I don't see how you could. Standing on the other side of the street is unsafe because you have to walk in front of traffic to get to the front passenger seat. Just keep standing a little bit down 19th from the normal pick-up spot. The Loundon guys didn't seem to mind either because their buses just pull in like always and the slug line opens to let them board. This is not that difficult, people! We can do this.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2006 at 12:06pm
Good luck - I heard that last night there were two lines again.

I couldn't find any info on the closing on either the GWU or the DC Gov websites so I sent DC an email asking how long the fence would be in place.

In the meantime, I'm 14th and Constitution bound.
Bunny Wunny View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunny Wunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2006 at 1:19pm
Couldn't we start a safer line at 19th & E St? It's just a block away down.
beachhead View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2006 at 4:38pm
There do appear to be two lines, one at the corner of 19th and F and another by the 7-11 entrance near 19th and E. There were a lot of people stranded at 19th and F at 5:55. Looked almost empty by the 7-11. Duh. The safer line is where BW is talking about. Somebody needs to tell the other line to move. There is no future for this line at the corner.
beachhead View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2006 at 4:39pm
Oh, did I say that I am a driver and I'm not going to stop at the corner of 19th and F?
SlugGirl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2006 at 1:43pm
is there anyone willing to put up a sign on the corner of 19th and F (attach it to the metal fence) I would do it on Monday but I am out next week on vacation.

dcr7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2006 at 4:31pm
Hi. For the duration of the construction at GW, the 19th & F slug line appears to have migrated from just after (south of) F street to just before (north of). The new location appears to be working well -- certainly better than the other side of F street next to GW's fence.
andye View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2006 at 8:13am
Do people really pick up at 19 and I? I have tried twice at around 4:45 and have been shut out both times. Also I can't figure out exaclty where I should stand for best results./
pvasports View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pvasports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2006 at 9:21am
I'm new to this so can someone please tell me where the people standing in this line are intending to go? Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania? I just moved to Fredericksburg and I'm trying out the different forms of transportation. I've got a monthly work-paid parking space and may drive instead of VRE. However, I'll admit....I'm not looking to pick up someone who's going to get in the back seat to eat a chocolate bar and get it all over my cloth seats and not have a problem with it. Can slug drivers be selective as to who is next in line for a ride....can they take the number 2, 3 or 4th person in line if the 1st or 2nd looks like a slob? Is that rude?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic