Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV Violators

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2006 at 10:08am
NoSB, I don't believe everything I read on this forum, but I do look for patterns. The consensus posting appears to be that it is possible to travel well above the posted speed limit in the express lanes during commuting hours - not everywhere, but certainly in stretches. bigmike had some sort of video, and although several mentioned safety, no one disputed the capability. Even if 80+ mph is an exaggeration (and I suspect it's not), 70+ mph is well within believeable.

Try doing THAT in the regular lanes during commuting hours!
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2006 at 12:52pm
Now that I slug more than I drive, I sleep thru it and really don't notice much difference either way.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Oosik View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2006 at 8:55am
It looks like the cops put more effort into the publicity release than they did in actually increasing enforcement of HOV. I think I saw police on Monday, but that was it. I have seen no decrease in the number of violators. In fact, yesterday an obese man in a SUV (riding alone) was either dozing off or looking for a fallen french fry as he meandered all over the road. Now admittedly, he was more than three normal people in size, but he was also taking up two lanes of travel for a good portion of his trip. In any event, he didn't qualify for HOV.
tangelo53 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tangelo53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2006 at 9:48am
What time are you guys travelling on HOV in the mornings where you can go 85mph?? Please tell me, because I really need to change my hours. HOV is OK until you get near Springfield, where I am usually stopped or crawling until I pass Shirlington. HOV is getting worse day by day and, in my opinion, it is because of the Hybrids that are allowed on solo....it doesn't make any sense to me. Why can't they pick up people like the rest of us? Yes there there are those who cheat, but atleast they get ticketed! AND- I see many more Hybrids on HOV than cheaters. The only way 95 is going to get better is if we DECREASE the number of vehicles on the road, period.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2006 at 11:38am
Here here tangelo!!

GMHP was hea!
Oosik View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2006 at 11:51am
Tangelo, I get on HOV at about 6:10 or so and usually can travel from 70-85 MPH -- unless, of course, someone who got on at Dale City and plans to take the left exit into Rosslyn decides to ride the ENTIRE way in the left lane blocking traffic.

At what time do you see any violators getting tickets? In the past year I can count on one hand the number of vehicles I saw pulled over for tickets. I have to admit that I have less problems with the hybrids since they at least paid through the nose to get their car. The guy driving in an SUV who doesn't have three people in the car is the one that pisses me off the most.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2006 at 1:02pm
tangelo - perhaps you haven't notice the big increase in population growth in NoVa over the past 6 years. Now, increasing population and constant roads = what?

It's not the hybrids and the exemption that is causing the problem but the overall increase in population. Have you stopped to consider what it happening in the regular lanes (I know those getting free rides may find it hard not to be selfish, but try anyway)? Do you suppose that the concentration of vehicles has increase there as well? Did you know that regular lanes used to travel much better 6 years ago than they do now? Are you aware that the original proposal for the express lanes was to have the HOV-40 during commuting hours?

Just think about how smooth your commute would be if:
- the express lanes were for buses only
- the increase in road capacity kept up with the increase in population density

And, actually, the express lanes during HOV hours are NOT getting worse day by day - the time commuting has dropped significantly over the past year, even though the number of hybrids has increased. My money (pun intended) is on the increase in gas prices.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2006 at 1:47pm
NoSUV,
Why must you repeat your thoroughly debunked arguments?

On your last point... Have you looked at a calendar? Mine says June...
tangelo53 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tangelo53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2006 at 2:20pm
Goodness gracious...here we go again no suv!! i get your point, you drive a hybrid, therefore you feel as though it is your civic duty to fight for them. great!! YES, the population is growing. But,no one is making those cars drive in the main lanes...there is the option of picking up slugs (which i do everyday...I usually fit 5 in my big SUV!),they can vanpool, carpool, VRE, telecommute....shall I go on. I will say it again-- 95 sucks and it will continue to suck as long as people are adament about driving solo! Considering that road improvements are non-existent in this area...the only alternative is to pack as many people as you can into the cars, decreasing the amount of cars on the road to ease the congestion. I really don't think you care about the problems on 95 or else you would have 2 others riding with you in the HOV everyday!
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2006 at 2:26pm
NoSUV,

Haven't done it, but you make two conflicting arguments time and again.

First you argue the HOV-40 case which says busses to all.

Second you argue the "excess capacity" in HOV case which says hybrids should be allowed.

Those are mutually exclusive.

Bring some coherency to your lunacy and then try making your point. It won't be anymore valid, but it will be more cohesive.

Cheers bud.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic