Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FOR DO NOT RIDE WITH LIST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawaiiangirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FOR DO NOT RIDE WITH LIST
    Posted: 12 Jun 2006 at 7:51pm
This is my first time that I have to say in the past 11 years of slugging that I have ever felt that I needed to post this comment about this driver I rode with tonight. First, since when has it been against the law as a rider to talk on your cell phone? Perhaps it annoys some people and if it does the common courtesy is to ask that person to not talk on their cell phone would be appropriate. On my way home tonight from the Pentagon to the 610 lot I was picked up by this man with a black either Toyota or Subaru 4 door older model car, I believe the license plate was JYE-9998, or close to that. I was so upset after getting out of his car I may have missed it by one or 2 numbers. Anyhow, I was talking on my cell phone, not loudly, as he had no air conditioning on and all the windows down. Very rudely, as we got to the bridge to exit to Quantico, he pulled over and I asked him was everything okay sir? And he responded by telling me that yes he is but that I could either get off the phone or get out of his car. I was terribly shocked at this and it was the first time I've ever had anyone be that rude and I was taken aback by this statement. I told him that I had no idea it was illegal to talk on your cell phone as a passenger in VA. He told me that he didn't care but that I should have known better because cell phones were for emergencies only. I responded by stating that it was no problem, I could respect his vehicle. Now I may have annoyed him, obviously he was annoyed. But I was quite annoyed by him because from the time we left the Pentagon Parking lot he sped the entire trip. He was driving irradically, in out of lanes giving the other drivers little time to give him space, he was speeding 85 or more the entire trip even to the point where we were inches from behind 18-wheelers and other cars. Scared the living you know what out of me and I suppose I stayed on my cell phone the entire trip to try and keep my mind off of how bad he was driving. The traffic was heavy as we got closer to Stafford and I didn't say anything else to him. He didn't say anything else to me, but the fact of the matter is, I would have had no problem not talking on my cell phone, but the way this guy drove was just unbelieveable. Why do people think that if they drive like that they get to their destination faster. I tell you what, if I ever see his car at the Pentagon or any lot for that matter, I will scream to folks in line never to ride w/him. The vehicle was stick shift and he kept on the gas and brake pedals the entire trip. What should you do if you ever feel like you have to get out of a driver's car on I-95? I felt that way tonight. Thanks!
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 6:50am
Two in one day. Read the unofficial rules of this site. Other than "I'm on my way", or "I'm going to be late", slugs do not use cell phones in cars.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 8:30am
"Unofficial" rules....huuummm! If they are unofficial, why bother?
gmugrad View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmugrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 8:49am
you are not supposed to be on your cell phone. What was so important? If you want to talk on your phone then drive yourself.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 9:12am
SOOOO- Ru bitching about the fact that he embarrassed you by pulling over, interrupted a conversation that obviously was SO interesting you had to carry it out in a strangers personal automobile, or that you had to pull his negative driving skills out of thin air to justify this post at all?

122582- I agree with you 100%. If my cell rings while I'm slugging, I'll wait for it to go to voice mail and check it to see what is so important. Voice mail is silent, and private.

45 minutes to an hour is not a whole lot of time to wait to get the latest gossip!!!

GMHP was hea!
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 9:24am
Do you really expect us to believe that you had no idea that talking on your cell phone for the entire ride was inconsiderate? It doesn't excuse the driver's excessive reaction but you really need to keep the usage to a minimum.
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 9:34am
Hi everyone

I think we have to remember that there are alot of new slugs out there, who didn't discover slugging via this website and who do not necessarily know the "unofficial rules". Rather than taking the extreme action of telling someone to get out of the car, perhaps the driver could or should have asked this person to cease talking on the cell phone first.

We had a newbie slug the other day at RV. She was so funny. She became the "caller" and she had no clue what to do. So she walked up to the cars, asked them where they were going, and when it wasn't her destination, she proceeded to the next car without calling out the destination of the car. She didn't understand the system, and no one got mad at her (okay, maybe slightly irritated) because she was new. So when a passenger doesn't follow the "unofficial rules" maybe we ought to be more understanding and ask them not to talk too long on the cell phone rather than threaten to throw them out of the car.

I agree with GMHP that the complaint about driving habits seems like after the fact whining anout the cell phone issue...
hawaiiangirl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawaiiangirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 9:56am
Wow, didn't think that so many people would give me negative feedback. Like I said, this was the first time I actually started using this site. Thanks for all the responses. I no doubt, was not intending on being rude and realized after reading the rules today that it was one of the "unofficial rules". I normally do just read or take a nap while slugging. And I'm not "expecting" anyone to think that I didn't know about the rules. I don't normally talk on my cell phone. So I did not know this was a huge deal. I see people talking on cell phones all the time in cars, both drivers and riders. Don't know what cars you're riding in, because 75% of the cars I ride in, including drivers talk on the phone, business or personal. I will say that unless it was an emergency I would never talk on my phone as a driver. The fact of the matter is I stayed on my phone call that was was only supposed to be 10 minutes tops but because of his irradic driving I stayed on longer to take my mind off of how he was driving. To tell you the truth I have to say most people are great and for the better part of the years I drove and picked up people as late as 8:00 or 8:30 p.m. at the Pentagon, if folks were still there. The point that I think I'm really trying to stress is there is a way to tell someone that you prefer it if they could cut their conversation short without being nasty and threatening. That's what behavior he depicted. If people in this area, drivers and riders, want respect that's fine. I'm all for that. As I mentioned in my initial email I told the gentlemen I apologize and respected his vehicle but to pull over and threaten to put a women out on I-95 is carrying it too far. I suppose I looked at this situation if the shoe was anyone else's foot. No matter how bad it gets with someone, unless it's life threatening, I would NEVER threaten to put someone out of my car, I would just ask them to stop using the phone or whatever it is that's annoying me at the time. The fact that I was on the phone does not dismiss the fact that he was driving recklessly and to the person below that that made the comment about me being embarrased. What's to be embarrased about? The fact that everyone wants a rider so they can get in HOV and ride and the fact that everyone needs to get to work? That's what this system is designed to do, hence your screen name getmehome pleeze. Whatever you say is fine with me. Everyone is here to discuss as this is an open forum, but if you think what he did as far as pulling over to the side of the road was fine, than peace be on to you. You're entitled to your opinion. I hope it never happens to you. I will say again that after 11 years, this was the only bad encounter I've had and would say that it's still a good system. And 122582 I loved your tip about keeping slugging alive. And gmugrad, I had to laugh at your response, is that what they teach you at GMU? With that attitude we'd all be walking.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 10:00am
So much here, so little server space to record it all.

How about we sum it up with a word that seems to be falling into disuse if not dis-practice (I understand those aren't really words used "rightly", go with it tho')...COURTESY.

If we all practiced it, whether as drivers or slugs, life wouldn't need to be so contentious as to require this many posts voicing opinions about who done what to whom when.

I'm out.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
chmp View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2006 at 10:30am
I find your use of adjectives very interesting and think that if he had not called you out for talking on your cell phone, which is very rude, you would not of posted on the board. I have to think you are stretching the truth a bit because you are angry you had to put your cell phone away. If you were in my car and I probably would have dropped you off before we even got out of the lot.

Also, making fun on someone's school is unacceptable. I did not go to GMU, and yes I did go to college and then law school, but it is immature and rude to make fun of where someone went to school.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic