Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UGH!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UGH!
    Posted: 22 Jun 2006 at 9:14am
So I slug from Bob's and I am always happy to get in a car and be quiet, not a problem for me. Well I am in a car this morning and the slug in the front and man driving are talking the whole way in, again not a problem. As we pull up to the location the women gets out and then as I was getting out (it was a 2 door.....PROBLEM) the man tries to hand me some pamphlet to come to his church!

I am a very devout and happy Mormon, so I declined by saying no thank you. Seriously though, is slugging really the place to do that. I have no idea why but it made me very uncomfortable and I will avoid this car from now on.

Just thought I would vent that.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2006 at 10:44am
As a young couple that slugs together we get invited to churches often during evening commutes by sociable drivers. It is a little uncomfortable, but I take it as a friendly jesture.

GMHP was hea!
shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2006 at 1:45pm
chmp,
You say the only problem you had with this driver is him trying to hand you a religious pamphlet yet you are seeming to complain about a bunch of little issues. You need to be able to be a little less uptight if you want to enjoy being a slug. You get all kinds of drivers/passengers during slugging and you need to adapt a little better. All you needed to do is politely decline the offer, no harm, no foul. The beauty of slugging is that you can pass on cars/drivers if you wish. Just use it as a lesson learned and relax a bit!!
chmp View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2006 at 3:35pm
I complained about havign a two door car, which does suck when you are wearing a skirt and trying to get out for the whole world to see, and I complained about being solicited for religous reason. I myself being religous abide by the slug rules of no politics, sex, or religion.

So if that is "a bunch" of things I am sorry, but I feel that 2 things is not a bunch of things. I am a good slug, I get in and shut up.

Religous solicitation does not belong in the slug line and NO I do not have to adapt to that. I will just avoid the car from now on, notice I did not say the make of the car, where I was going, or anything to tip anyone off to the car, just that I would avoid the car and reminder to not solicit religously in the slug line.
shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2006 at 4:46pm
chmp,
You indirectly complained about having to hear a conversation the whole way in, having to deal with a 2-door car and then your major issue with the pamphlet. You may not have realized it, but you were venting about the whole ride in, even though you chose to take the 2-door car, even though you know it is not very comfortable/accomodating. As for the pamphlet, he is the driver, he can offer you the pamphlet, but you do not have to take it. Did he discuss religion with you? Did he force you to talk to him about religion? If not, then he did not break any etiquette rules that I can tell. As long as he wasn't forcing it on you, then you need to take a chill pill...
cedarcitynative View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2006 at 9:44am
Chmp,

Being a "devout and happy Mormon" should have motivated you to invite him to your church.
chmp View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2006 at 10:03am
Hahahah, yeah, I might be a devout and happy Mormon, but I am definetly not going to use slugging as a way to spread the love...I think I might see a huge drop off in the number of drivers willing to let me in the car.

The point I was making, which shelbybrynn is overlooking, (who knows she/he was probably the woman or the man in the car because she sure freaked out about my first post) (which I am sure is going to set her off even more now.....oh well, I think the reaction was funny) was that slugging is not the place to canvas religion, whether it be discussion or handing out pamphlets. Religion is great, but keep it to yourself when slugging!

I could care less if people chat the whole way in, it does not bother me one bit and I did not complain about it: "the slug in the front and man driving are talking the whole way in, again not a problem." But if other slugs or religous zealots want to take this as complaining that is their deal not mine.

I just know to avoid the car in the future!
Oosik View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2006 at 1:25pm
CHMP, You could always seek a refund the cost of your ticket to work ....

Fortunately, most slug drop-off areas have a trash can close at hand and you can easily chuck the pamphlet. Frankly, I would be more concerned if I was a slug having to listen to the dribble of Benny Hinn, Jerry Falwell, et al. on the radio. I find the latter to be far more offensive. While religious proselytizing is a requirement for some faiths (yours most certainly) at least the driver didn't subject you to the "have you accepted Jeeeezzzzussss into your heart....." line of discussion.
chmp View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2006 at 5:41pm
Good point! Well agreed!

I was in a car once and the driver complained of a sore neck and all of a sudden this little hand sneaks up from the back touching him proclaiming that by the power of Jesus he be healed....this was right as we were pulling out...I think both the driver and I wanted to jump out of the car!

I am going to start passing out Book of Mormons at the slug line....jk, but if you want one......:-)
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2006 at 12:11pm
I would think that if you're devoted to your religion, none of this religious stuff should bother you at all. Granted, it may be annoying but not to the point of making you uncomfortable. I've been in a number of cars where the driver has on gospel music that is incessant and loud ...now that's proselytizing. But I can easily tolerate that and other religious gestures for the duration of the ride or even at the end of the ride.

Goober
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic