Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Costly Motorcycles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Costly Motorcycles
    Posted: 23 Jun 2006 at 2:04pm
I just read that a Honda Goldwing costs $24,000. I would have guessed they were about half that. How much does a new Harley cost? What about the racing bikes? Just curious. I'll bet the personal injury insurance is costly too.
LDOMAJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LDOMAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2006 at 2:30pm
In March I paid $14,500 for a "new (out of the warehouse)" 2004 BMW K1200RS from the dealership in Fredericksburg... the 2006 comparable models were going for around $17,000.
dilbertian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilbertian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2006 at 3:58pm
quote:
Originally posted by Bob
[br]I just read that a Honda Goldwing costs $24,000. I would have guessed they were about half that. How much does a new Harley cost? What about the racing bikes? Just curious. I'll bet the personal injury insurance is costly too.

Bob,

If you opt for a nice ricer or a low-end Harley (sportster) they run about $12000 on average for a decent bike. A nice entry-level ricer will run you around $5000. The GoldWings have a cockpit that looks much like an F-16 and some have 6-speaker stereos, heated hand grips, and all the amenities of a high-end car and then some. You get what you pay for if that is what you like.

As for insurance, mine was about $600/year at double the standard coverage. I have heard that younger guys can pay as much as $2000+ for standard coverage, so it all depends on your age and driving record I suppose.
gtivr6ps View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtivr6ps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2006 at 9:43am
My Softail Springer Harley was around 19K Incuding TTT walking out the door. I had no extras put on it at that time. Insurance is about 600 a year. They are not cheap!!
rodmunera View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodmunera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2006 at 12:28pm
Cruiser bikes are lower on insurance rates than racer bikes. A good buddy of mine has a racing bike and I have a cruiser. both bikes have same CCs, same weight and we have almost identical driving records and are the same age. However, he pays $1200+ a year and I pay about $600 a year.

His bike cost him about $7,000 (2006 Yamaha Ninja I think) and mine was $5,500, for a 2006 Honda VLX deluxe.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2006 at 12:37pm
Naturally, motorcycles will lose their HOV exemption in 07 along with hybrids, and for precisely the same reason.
rodmunera View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodmunera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2006 at 12:52pm
I don't have a problem with slugging or picking up slugs, I also don't ride my motorcycle to work often either.

So if that's the case, I'll just hitch a ride or ride with someone else... or I can also walk to the VRE station which is 3 mins from my apt.

However it does seem like you're very bitter about not being able to ride by yourself in the express lanes in the future, or perhaps you bought your hybrid not for environmental reasons but just so that you could ride the express without other people, and now that you can't do that, you feel your investment is lost.

Either way I'm still happy the rules are changing for selfish hypocritical hybrid drivers.
pentagonchop View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pentagonchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2006 at 1:03pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]Naturally, motorcycles will lose their HOV exemption in 07 along with hybrids, and for precisely the same reason.

I did not know that motorcycles were going to lose their exemption. I think they should continue to be allowed to ride in the HOV lanes for a couple of reasons . . . 1-there are not many of them on the roads,so it does not congest traffic in the HOV lanes 2-it is a hell of a whole lot safer for them in the HOV lanes vice 95. Now I know that people have the choice of whether or not they ride their bike to work, but the bottom line is, people around here do not respect motorcylces. They will tailgate them, cut them off, etc. Anyways, I am sure that there will be some negative feedback from my opinions, but just thought I would lay down my 2cents.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2006 at 2:16pm
There has been no discussion of ending the motorcycle exemption because they are statistically insignficant on the HOV. Some people on this board think that slugs are inconsistent because we support motorcycles and not hybrids. Incorrect. We are not getting swamped by thousands of motorcycles. If we were, things may be different.
rodmunera View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodmunera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2006 at 2:23pm
Now, returning to the topic of the post:

I've seen the Goldwing and they are NICE!
I've also seen the Honda Valkyrie Rune and at the same price of a Goldwing, it's also one of the pricier bikes out there, it's also so heavy and long that it would very easily pass as a speedboat [:D].

I'm not sure if I would buy one if I was able to afford one but it would sure be nice to be able to rent one for the weekend!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic