Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI'm so happy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodmunera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm so happy
    Posted: 04 Jul 2006 at 1:40pm
I saw this today on the VDot website. I suppose HOV solo hybrid drivers have their days numbered.

http://www.virginiadot.org/comtravel/hov-rulesfaq.asp
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2006 at 7:55am
So happy that there's no longer a plan to promote less polution by getting more people to purchase hybrids instead of conventional gas guzzling higher poluting vehicles? No wonder there's such a resistence to the "inconvenient truth" of global warming! When all of the cars in the commuter lot are hybrids, THEN the law should have changed.

Did you notice that the express lanes still zip along while the regular lanes don't? The change in the exemption is wrong on SO many levels.
rodmunera View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodmunera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2006 at 11:49am
Yes, I am happy and my next car still will likely use an alternate form of fuel. The answer to pollution is not to come up with ways for more people to travel solo, but rather take advantage of carpooling. Incentives for alternative fuel transportation can be implemented without encouraging people NOT to carpool (e.g. tax breaks?).

If you want to ride the carpool lanes solo, then buy a motorcycle!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2006 at 12:35pm
Actually, there is little difference between hybrids and motorcylces except in the number of seats. I've asked my delegate to explain why motorcycles are treated differently. Of course, since you provided the link, you already know that number of seats in a vehicle has no relevance in using express lanes during HOV hours.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2006 at 3:25pm
More evidence that NoSUV doesn't pay attention. First link is from the Federal Highway administration on motorcycles in HOV. Second, according to the NC DOT, the federal government says that motorcycles are allowed in HOV unless the state determines that motorcyclists are at greater risk by being in the HOV lanes instead of the regular lanes. I don't think there are any states that disallow solo motorcycle HOV use. This has been covered here before.

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freewaymgmt/hov/hovqalst.htm
http://www.ncdot.org/projects/hov/faq/#15
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/HOV/guide.htm
http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/transportation/urban_options/hov.html

I did find a place that doesn't allow single passenger motorcycles in HOV. But it's in Ontario Canada.
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_1520.aspx
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2006 at 3:49pm
MDC, thanks for reinforcing my point - that there is no difference between hybrids and motorcycles except for the number of seats.

By the way, there is no data to prove or disprove the answer to the FAQ in the FHA link you provided - put that one down to wishful thinking. The answer clearly points out that it is a "rationale" - which is fairly close to "rationalization." Of course, seems that you are usually fact adverse.
rodmunera View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodmunera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2006 at 4:04pm
Wow, you MUST be a lobbyist for the automobile industry: hybrid volume sale division. The use of your doublespeak to turn simple plain english into something to back up your agenda.

Let's try again shall we? Here it is the quote from the Federal Highway Administration:

"The rationale behind allowing motorcycles to use HOV lanes is that it is safer to keep two-wheeled vehicles moving than to have them travel in start-and-stop traffic conditions."

So the way I see it is that the difference between hybrids and Motorcycles is more than just the number of seats. It's a safety issue - one that I'm grateful for.

You also say "...there is no data to prove or disprove the answer to the FAQ in the FHA link you provided..."

You have obviously never ridden a motorcycle. Heck, I'm willing to venture the guess that you've never ridden a bycicle for that matter but in any event it's irrelevant to the point.

Some people only hear what they want to hear.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2006 at 4:35pm
rod - faith or facts? Faith tends to be emotional. Facts can be twisted (figures don't lie but liers figure). But I'll be fair - show me the facts that motorcycles are safer in HOV lanes. Should be some data somewhere. Don't rely on MDC to find it for you, though.
rodmunera View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodmunera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2006 at 4:53pm
Again you stray from the point in your feeble attempt to sound enlightened or to try make others sound like fools.

The policy is to allow motorcycles on HOV for safety reasons (re-read above).

I didn't write FHA policy, but from experience, I can make an educated guess as to how they would come to the conclusion that it is safer to put a vehicle that requires balance to stay upright in conditions that help balance do exactly just that - away from stop-and-go traffic.

For me it's neither faith nor facts but personal experience.

Don't rely on others to give you the facts, get on a motorcycle and find out for yourself.
rodmunera View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodmunera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2006 at 5:17pm
The basic concepts of equilibrium and inertia are applied in operating 2-wheeled vehicles. Maintaining balance is achieved by making small corrections on your position lateraly, which is impossible to do in a stationary position due to friction. Hence movement is required to maintain balance.

So speeds helps corrections in bottom/top relationship of an object.

Speed and balance are directly proportional to a certain extent (barring other factors such as lower friction indexes and wind resistance), hence more speed, better balance.

So let's apply our logic 101

HOV = more speed

and

More speed = better balance

and

better balance = safer rider

Therefore,

HOV = safer rider.

Here's some information on bicycle physics:

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~fajans/Teaching/MoreBikeFiles/BikeQuestions.htm

I have *got* to stop suffering fools.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>