FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIndependence Day for Slugs NO MORE HYBRIDS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2006 at 4:16pm
NoSUV,
Unless you drive a whole tank doing only highway speed, AND another whole tank with only city driving, your calculations are meaningless in this discussion. Of course you don't need a computer to figure your average MPG on a tank of gas. That's a no-brainer! You haven't proven that you get better MPG driving in one place over driving in another. That you can divide xxx miles by xx gallons is not relevant to your claim.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2006 at 10:09am
NoSB: You need to continue your train of thought on "trickle down" economics. Although your used car may not leave the roads, it's possible that the person who bought that car dumped a worse one for it. The elimination of the worse one still makes a difference.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2006 at 8:20am
One EXTREMELY important calculation that isn't being factored in is waste disposal.

I just sold a 1966 model vehicle. It runs great. It's not in a junk yard somewhere. It's a "conventional" combustion engine. Doesn't have all the latest safety features, but a good car.

I have a 2000 Toyota Avalon. It is a 6 cylinder. Gets 27 mpg average based on my driving habits. It has all the latest safety features (at least enough to make it safe for quite a few number, 30?, of years to come).

Does going out and buying a new or used vehicle simply because it's called a "hybrid" make sense to junk either of those fine vehicles above especially if I were to be overcome with the temptation to drive SOV in the HOV (which the law is finally catching up to a more common sense approach)?

Selling my Avalon doesn't take it off the roads and do much/anything for emissions reduction since someone else is going to drive a comfortable and safe vehicle anyways?

The only way to get my "pollution factory" off the road is to completely scrap it. Tear up every salvagable piece on it so it can't be recycled to keep other "gas guzzlers" on the road--hey, you don't wanna contribute to furthering others' polluting habits do you?

So, if we scrap the "polluters", we're just filling up landfills with good machinery which could last for years as viable transportation.

Some zealots of hybrids would argue to fill up the landfills (what you don't say is as important as what you do say!) with our current state of the art technology in order to make room for the "latest and greatest" technology.

My Avalon is designed to last MANY more years, avoiding the landfill as long as feasible/economically practical. It's 7, maybe 8 years old (I bought it used). If it were a hybrid, it would be nearing the end of its service life and the batteries would need replacing. Which makes more practical sense in a HOLISTIC approach to being environmentally friendly.

Oh yeah, when my Avalon travels N_bound or S_bound, it has at least 3 for HOV--sometimes there's maximum seating occupied (5 of us) and comfortably seated I might add.

It's so easy to get fixated on some zealots petty rationale for hybrids and lose sight of the larger mosaic (big picture). Don't be fooled....marketers know how to manipulate your perceptions because they induce prejudices in your thinking without you even being aware of it.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 4:21pm
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]Hybrid owners shouldn't count on the computer in their car for determining their MPG at any point during their trip. It's there for entertainment purposes. I'm sure there is a disclaimer in the owner's manual.

If the manufacturer says that they get better city MPG than highway MPG, I'm prone to believe them.

MDC - seems logical, even if not reality. I double check the computer by doing the math long hand - not too hard since denominator is such a small number, and the numerator fairly big.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 4:02pm
Hybrid owners shouldn't count on the computer in their car for determining their MPG at any point during their trip. It's there for entertainment purposes. I'm sure there is a disclaimer in the owner's manual.

If the manufacturer says that they get better city MPG than highway MPG, I'm prone to believe them.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 12:40pm
raymond - actually, your assumption on how hybrids work is wrong. During highway driving, unless you are stomping on the accelerator, it's possible and probable that the electric motor is receiving power from either/or the gas engine or the battery. If the battery is at a full charge and you are accelerating slowly, even at 70+ mph the gas engine can be idling while the battery provides the power to the motor. Also, at times, it could be a combination of both the battery and the gas engine, with both providing power to the motor.

The rest of your assumptions are similarly false - what can be called error carried forward. Those times when I've been solely on the highway for the entire tank of gas, my hybrid has exceeded mpg from either just city or a combination of city and highway use. Just like a conventional car.

raymond, what you need to do is get a hybrid so you can learn that your assumptions are wrong. That is, unless you are living in the Dark Ages and feel that knowledge is to be feared.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 10:30am
Welcome to the discussion, May. One answer to your question lies in the technology system used.

Most hybrids use their electric motors at low speeds and at times of low power demands, like stop and go city driving, while switching to their gas engine at highway speeds. So their fuel effeciency is lower in highway use than in city driving. In this case, you have made a correct assumption and hybrids do not get better "highway" MPG than another comparable car. But because their reported MPG is averaged across varying usage patterns, including city and highway driving, hybrids can 'report' better overall MPG. The reality is that when the gas engine is running at highway speeds they are just like any other car.

So although hybrids operate just like any other gas burning car in the HOV lanes, they are exempt from common sense HOV requirements. These exemptions allow hybrid owners to sleep better at night in blissful ignorance and eco-self-justification, while we, the informed, wisely HOV commute (and hybrid marketers laugh all the way to the bank)!

Yes May, the truth is that the emperor wears no clothes, and hybrids are just another version of fossil fuel burning cars.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 10:20am
May,

You heard wrong.

My hybrid gets GREAT mileage on the highway - better than city. Of course, there is a breakpoint where inefficiencies are realized. For example, when I try to keep up with the traffic in the express lanes during commuting hours and it's going 75+, I get worse mileage than when going the speed limit. I seem to recall that conventional vehicles have the same problem.
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 10:10am
Let's rethink the exemption and allow only vehicles with 50 + MPG EPA estimates cruise the HOV in SOV mode.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!
May View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote May Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2006 at 9:43am
I have heard that hybrid cars do well with miles per gallon in the city but not the highway. Is that true? If it is, I don't see any reason they should be allowed to cruise on HOV without meeting the passenger limit.

quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]In another forum someone thought up an interesting comparison method: "Passenger Miles Per Gallon" which multiplies the vehicle MPG times the number of passengers (since each passenger travels the distance covered by the vehicle). For example: a SOV hybrid may achieve 40 MPG, which is also 40 "Passenger MPGs" or one passenger traveling 40 miles on a gallon. However, an HOV non-hybrid with 4 passengers that gets only 25 MPG would tally 100 PMPG (25 MPG x 4 passengers) for a 150% increase in fuel economy over the SOV hybrid!

If NoSUV actually cared about the fuel economy arguments NoSUV defends, NoSUV would carpool or pick up slugs. Imagine the PMPGs if your hybrid carried 4 passengers! 40 MPG x 4 passengers = 160 PMPG, or a 300% increase in fuel economy over NoSUV's SOV commute! Plus you would take three other vehicles off the road reducing traffic congestion.

Since NoSUV is locked into the "hybrids are the answer to our problems" mindset, NoSUV may want to consider these as real options that can improve things today! No way around it, these are strong arguments for HOV commuting!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic