Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIndependence Day for Slugs NO MORE HYBRIDS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 8:51am
I saw somewhere that Highway/City hybrid mileage depends on which type of hybrid system the car uses. Different brands of cars use different systems.
In some, the gas engine runs all the time and the highway mileage is actually better than the city.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 11:52am
True sludge. That's why going to the website and checking on individual vehicles is useful. The ones that get higher hwy than city are only marginally better which is interesting. My car & truck do MUCH better on the hwy than city driving. Clear out the HOV of SOV and watch the amount of fuel saved!

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2006 at 10:41am
See, I told you NoSUV wouldn't want to admit the gas mileage disparity. As scottt pointed out, one simply needs to look at the sticker on the hybrids in the dealer lots to see the numbers.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 7:44am
However, one only has to look at the onboard computer to see the ACTUAL mileage for given conditions. I get better mileage on the interstate. How about it hybrid owners? Anyone see anything different?
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 8:16am
In another forum someone thought up an interesting comparison method: "Passenger Miles Per Gallon" which multiplies the vehicle MPG times the number of passengers (since each passenger travels the distance covered by the vehicle). For example: a SOV hybrid may achieve 40 MPG, which is also 40 "Passenger MPGs" or one passenger traveling 40 miles on a gallon. However, an HOV non-hybrid with 4 passengers that gets only 25 MPG would tally 100 PMPG (25 MPG x 4 passengers) for a 150% increase in fuel economy over the SOV hybrid!

If NoSUV actually cared about the fuel economy arguments NoSUV defends, NoSUV would carpool or pick up slugs. Imagine the PMPGs if your hybrid carried 4 passengers! 40 MPG x 4 passengers = 160 PMPG, or a 300% increase in fuel economy over NoSUV's SOV commute! Plus you would take three other vehicles off the road reducing traffic congestion.

Since NoSUV is locked into the "hybrids are the answer to our problems" mindset, NoSUV may want to consider these as real options that can improve things today! No way around it, these are strong arguments for HOV commuting!
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 10:31am
raymond,

Just to inject on behalf of NoSuv, he has stated before on this site that there are no slugs between his home and work. So, in the interest of a fair discussion, let's keep that in mind.

There's plenty else he misses the boat on, don't need to throw something else in there.

How'd I do NoSuv?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 11:33am
Of course, there's also the argument reflected on Post's front page Outlook 7/23. Says words to the effect that dramatic action is needed ASAP and climate conscience. Post has said previously that the hybrid exemption experiment was too successful. Can't really be both.

Best course for the planet is to make the express lanes for SULEV and mass transit. Sure, slugs no longer get a free ride - but isn't our environment worth it?

As for the current hybrid exemption policy - how many hybrids are parked in YOUR commuter lot?
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2006 at 11:38am
And raymond, I agree that the best plan is for the express lanes during commuting hours to be restricted to ONLY HOV-hybrid - the only non-SULEV vehicles that should be allowed are buses. When the conventional polluting vehicles are rightfully exiled, then and only then should the hybrids be required to pick up passengers.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2006 at 9:30am
Because I'm feeling cranky this morning, I'll take up the cudgel for my turn to whack Everyone's Favorite Moron.

(sigh) Where to begin?

Fairness? If everyone could afford hybrids, then it would be fair for government to provide special facilities to encourage their use. But is it fair to penalize entry level workers, or administrative support staff, while extending a benefit to their bosses who can afford the additional monthly cost of a hybrid?

It is in NoSUV's world, I suppose.

Greenliness? Please. NoSUV, you can't hide behind that convenient banner -- we all know that you could give a hoot about climate change. We have repeatedly and utterly demonstrated that HOV-3 produces fewer environmental effects than a Smug. But you are only on here to throw bombs as a troll, as you've admitted.

But how can it be that there are no slugs between where you live and work? Or rather, if so, what are you doing on this board?
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2006 at 10:53am
Sponge, my, my - you need to soak up some logic.

Entry level workers and admin staff who cannot afford a SULEV should be using public transportation, or joining a formal SULEV carpool and paying proportional expenses.

And the day they ban conventional private vehicles from the express lanes during peak commuting hours is the day that I'll drive the 20 min out of my way to pick up commuters willing to share expenses.

By the way, Sponge, indeed it is 20 min out of my way each way to hit a slug line, and my one way commute currently is 25 min. Does it really make sense to drive almost twice as long to pick up non-cost sharing riders? Using the "per person" math so commonly discussed on the board that inapporpriately DISREGARDS the non-commuting miles used by polluters, I suppose it does. But in real life, the environment fares much worse.

Sponge - where's your SULEV? Why don't you have one? You know, you don't have to use it for your commute - but the miles you put on it are better for the earth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic