Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drop Off Point

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drop Off Point
    Posted: 07 Jul 2006 at 4:10pm
I have a question and I have heard it go both ways, but here goes.

Drove in this morning with the Hubby to DC to drop him off then continue on my way (week off:-), pulled up and said 20th and K has the destination point. Lady gets in and off we go! As we are making the left on 20th she asks to be dropped off at G. I told her I was dropping off at K (where I make a left), but if the light is red at G I will stop (obviously), but if light is green then I am not stopping. She was not very pleased about this and said that she would not have gotten in the car had she known I was not going to stop.

So the problem is obvious. We said 20th and K and she got in thinking we could just stop at 20th and G, was she right in presuming this and not checking first? I have always heard people say to "destination and points on the way" like up 14th or 20th I guess.

I am curious for future reference. I felt bad for the confusion, but also do not feel comfortable stopping on 20th in the middle of traffic and then trying to get back into it, so when I said 20th and K that is really what I meant.

Luckily the light was red at 20th and H she out she hopped. In the future should I be sure to say only 20th and K and not points in between or should the slug be the one to ask if we can stop earlier?

Thanks for any positive input on how to handle this!
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2006 at 10:06am
Sorry, you were in the wrong and owe that slug an apology.

If the driver says " along Street Y to Point X", it means anywhere up to that Point. You are supposed to stop along the way and let the slugs out. Why would you NOT do this? And don't act like it is some great personal hardship to pull over to the side to let a fellow citizen out of your car. Simple politeness, you know.

In years and years of slugging, I have never heard anyone use the phrase "and points along the way."

So, no, you can't act all innocent and try to blame the slug. If you had been honest at the beginning and said to the line of slugs, "I'm going straight to K without stopping," then you might have had to wait, if the line was short. By not saying that, you got the next slug in line, without waiting, and then broke the rules of engagement.
colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2006 at 10:50am
I am a fairly new driver to all this and my rule has been confirming with the slug where they are going EXACTLY before we leave.

I drive to Cap Hill, but drop at L'Enfant and that has like a dozen different spots it seems like from "the bottom of the ramp" to the "mailbox" (which is odd cause there is no mailbox there), to "the metro" or "7th and D".

When people get in, I am saying L'Enfant, but they confirm the destination before we really go.

I am pretty flexible as long as they dont make me make an extra turn. but otherwise anywhere along the way is fine.

Just my way of working it out.
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2006 at 1:10pm
There is a tacit understanding that when a driver calls out a destination, the riders can be dropped off at any reasonable point up to and including that destination. I don't at all blame that woman for being miffed at not being able to get out at G street. I'm sure most drivers would prefer to not stop along the way, but slugging is a mutually beneficial relationship as well as sometimes a mutually pain-in-the-you-know-what relationship.

If you don't want to make any stops on the way to your destination, I suggest you make a sign that says "20th and K only - NO STOPS" and/or clearly state this to the riders before you leave. I would hate for such a trend to start, however. It would take forever for any of us to get anywhere.
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2006 at 5:06pm
Seems there is a lack of clarity on drop off points, though pick up points are well defined.

I've had a slug ride all the way back to Rt3, then ask me to stop at Ukrops versus Gordon Rd (the generally accepted Rt3 dropoff).

Verify before you get in. I don't think chmp was being at all unreasonable.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!
happycommuter View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happycommuter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2006 at 8:24am
You all should be happy that you got a ride into the city and leave it at that. So you have to walk some if you don't get dropped off at the exact point you want, MAKE IT PART OF YOUR EXERCISE ROUTINE FOR THAT DAY!!!!!! People are too damn lazy nowadays and that's why you all have that extra fat on your body. Next time just wait in line until your desired driver comes along and will take you exactly where you want to go. Now, by this time an accident might have happened and bottle necks everything up and you just sit and pout as you could of taken the earlier ride and possibly got by the accident before it happened. BOTTOMLINE: BE HAPPY THAT YOU GOT A RIDE!!!!! YOU COULD DRIVE YOURSELF, THAT WAY YOU WILL GET TO EXACTLY WHERE YOU WANT!!!!! STOP WHINING!!!!! EVERYONE WANTS THEIR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO!!!!!!!

GEESH!!!!!!!

TRAFFIC IS HERE TO STAY IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT JUST SIMPLY MOVE AWAY
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2006 at 8:40am
quote:
Originally posted by happycommuter
[br]You all should be happy that you got a ride into the city and leave it at that. So you have to walk some if you don't get dropped off at the exact point you want, MAKE IT PART OF YOUR EXERCISE ROUTINE FOR THAT DAY!!!!!! People are too damn lazy nowadays and that's why you all have that extra fat on your body. Next time just wait in line until your desired driver comes along and will take you exactly where you want to go. Now, by this time an accident might have happened and bottle necks everything up and you just sit and pout as you could of taken the earlier ride and possibly got by the accident before it happened. BOTTOMLINE: BE HAPPY THAT YOU GOT A RIDE!!!!! YOU COULD DRIVE YOURSELF, THAT WAY YOU WILL GET TO EXACTLY WHERE YOU WANT!!!!! STOP WHINING!!!!! EVERYONE WANTS THEIR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO!!!!!!!

GEESH!!!!!!!

TRAFFIC IS HERE TO STAY IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT JUST SIMPLY MOVE AWAY

Oh give me a break. Crap like this is why I don't post here anymore.
shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2006 at 12:13pm
Sorry, but I don't think the driver was in the wrong here. She clearly stated 20th and K. If the passenger wanted to get out sooner, the PASSENGER should have clarified where she wanted to be let out and then it would be up to the driver to tell her before they left the lot that that was not a good drop off point for them. (BTW, I am a slug and not a driver so I am pretty sensitive to slugs needs)
momx3va View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momx3va Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2006 at 1:28pm
I have been slugging for 17 years now and I have only not been "allowed" to get out of the car once, thankfully.

So, I think it is more than fair to say that 99.9% of all drivers pull up and say their final destination but will drop you at any cross street along their route. And, that is what 99.9% of us "slugs" are used to. Some drivers even pull up to Horner Rd. and just say "18th" or "20th" and the first person in the line usually asks "How far?" We all know that not all of us are going to the same location -- and for some that think "they just want let off at their door" -- also have to remember that some of us walk another 3 or 4 blocks east or west from 18th or 20th!

So, please -- don't change the way things have "worked" for years! I think if you want ONLY to go to 20th and K then you might try what one lady does that stops at Horner...she pulls up and says "K Street -- I'm going to go up 23rd and turn right on K and go right to 20th and K. I don't want to stop, please." She only says this when the line is LONG. Other days, when there are only a few people in line, she just pulls up and says 18th and K! :)

Let's all remember that this is a two way street! We are each doing the other a favor and we all get to our jobs that we LOVE so much!! I slug more than I drive, but I have gone several blocks out of my way when I am the driver -- just to get going! It takes us (drivers) a lot less time to stop an extra time or two or circle a block or two than it does for slugs to walk that far!

I guess those that don't want to stop or don't want to deviate LOVE their jobs way more than I do!!! [:D]

Enjoy!
shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2006 at 3:31pm
Mom, I understand your points, but it is the passengers responsibility to ask the driver before the car leaves the lot. There are some places in DC which are illegal or difficult to stop at but you are saying that just because you want out there, that is okay that the driver risks a ticket or an accident?!?! It should be an agreed upon drop-off point for the system to work properly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic