Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drop Off Point

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2006 at 8:03am
Why is drop-off point that big of a deal?
Slugs do get a FREE 10 to 50 mile ride to a location close to their workplace. And it just may mean an occasional walk for a few blocks at the end.

Drivers and slugs should compromise on what works best for all in the car depending on the situation that day (like traffic density, weather, who's running late, if a slug has a physical disability or health problem, etc.) Ain't that hard to do, folks.

C'mon people -- stop complaining. Cooperate and communicate with each other.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2006 at 10:59am
You all are confusing the general with the specific.

GENERALLY, on a lot of slug routes, a driver and slug may need to barter a bit about the route, the destination, the drop off point, etc. Crystal City, Rosslyn, 14th St. -- they may all be like this.

SPECIFICALLY, on the 18th/20th St. routes, the one CHMP talked about, the route is exactly the same, but its length is bartered.

Thus, in THIS instance, CHMP was wrong.

Don't get everyone all con-fused talking about fruit when we are discussing apples.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2006 at 3:51pm
Play it safe and specify drop-off point at the pick-up, every time. Any time you 'assume' something you risk making an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me.'
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2006 at 11:08am
I dont know about you all, but I damn well ask the stranger that is kind enough to give me a ride in exchange for HOV usage where they are willing to drop off, at the beginning of the ride.

It is the job of both the driver and the slug to communicate drop off points at the beginning of the drive. Both parties are at fault when no communication is made and an occurance of misunderstanding comes into the equation. Whats the need for all the arguing about this topic? Communicate people, there would be less issues and pissed off people in the long run, sheesh!!!

GMHP was hea!
slugdriverandslugrider View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugdriverandslugrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2006 at 3:05pm
OR...
I know I've never proposed this before (hehe) but hey... why not post the rules of this web-site? Might be a way to settle this for those that have trouble communicating. As much as we'd all like communication and common courtesy to apply, let's face it, if did always apply, there would be a grand total of three posts on this forum. Hey... I'm just throwing it out there...

Rule # 10 No "curbside" service. There are certain understood destinations. Horner Road means the parking area at Horner Road, not the gas station just down Prince William Parkway or around the block to were you live. If you have a special request, be sure to ask the driver before accepting the ride. Normally, as long as the stop is on the way, drivers will not object.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2006 at 9:22am
What's going to happen when (and IF!) they expand Horner Road lot into the old bus parking lot across Telegraph as has been moved forward by Corey Stewart on the PWC Council?

One sure as heck can't walk to it from the main lot, not on that narrow hilly road, not in the dark or rain or after a snowfall. Evening drivers usually won't go past the central bus stop in Horner, much less to the back lot, so I doubt they are going to make the trip all the way to the proposed new extension.

And will Omniride drop off there?

Maybe this needs to be a new thread.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2006 at 11:58am
Rule #10 certainly applies. CHMP clearly stated "20th & K". Assumption was made by the slug. If the slug was intent on only "20th & G", she should've spoken up at the lot, not after crossing the river. And we're only talking four blocks.

Besides, you have to consider the traffic issue. If the lights green and the cars are moving, it's a pain in the butt to pull over and then get back in the flow. Hopping at the most convenient red light is a valid alternative.

That's my $.02......
LDOMAJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LDOMAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2006 at 9:44am
Bumping subject up
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 9:21am
For the last time: WRONG WRONG WRONG!

You, Ronin718, obviously never have used the 18th Street line in the morning. I have, for years. Never once have I or anyone I've spoken to, been held hostage past the point they want to get out at.

The "rule" you quote is not the "rule" for the 18th/20th Street morning lines at Horner and Potomac Mills.

Oh, why bother. You're an idiot if you can't see that the system only works if drivers let people off at any safe point up to the driver's stated destination. It's a given on the Line in the morning.
chmp View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 10:06am
the rule is different at Bob's and since you don't slug from there this does not really concern you, though you are getting plenty worked up about it. I have driven on the 18th line a lot and that is the rule according to the vast majority of people I know and since WE are the ones slugging from Bob's and not you, this really does not concern you! So you can stop freaking out and calling people idiots when you don't even slug out of the line where the issue is coming from.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic