Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrid Plates - Getting Around Intent of Law

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2006 at 9:31am
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]A hybrid running on CNG and battery would be exclusively clean fuel.
A hybrid running on Gasoline and battery is not exclusively clean fuel.

Says you - but not anyone significant. Our legislatures, the entire auto industry (including those who don't make hybrids), and the GENERAL public disagree with your definition - as does the dictionary.
SlugsB1tch2Much View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugsB1tch2Much Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2006 at 2:00pm
What an excellent loophole! Thanks Bob.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2006 at 8:15pm
Seems the most important definition is whatever the Commonwealth of VA uses to define a CFV. [;)] Somebody convinced the lawmakers that a hybrid should be considered as meeting that definition. Hybrids do get clean fuel plates, and those plates issued prior to 1 July qualify for the HOV exemption. [;)]

When the 100% electric or hydrogen cars appear on the market, this site will probably have the same debate about whether they can use VA's express lanes without having to meet HOV-2 or 3. [:I]
Same play ... different actors. [:(]
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2006 at 10:02am
quote:
Originally posted by SlugsB1tch2Much
[br]What an excellent loophole! Thanks Bob.

Too bad that in order to get a new hybrid and still use it for HOV by transferring plates, one would have to sell one's old hybrid. Market for old hybrids now stinks. Oh well.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2006 at 10:56am
Bob,

These are vehicles with distinctly limited life left in them once they leave the lot. All vehicles have an expected service life. The auto manufacturers' incorporated rationale plus marketing of the hybrids incur costs that greatly reduce the attractiveness of gas/elec vehicles. Once these start filling up the landfills, we'll see the true nature of their "friendliness" towards the environment. (this speaks to the "trickle down" nature--or lack thereof--some would ascribe to the rapidly deteriorating hybrids).

On a more positive note, I bought the least expensive fuel for my vehicles on Saturday that I could find. Costco had regular unleaded for less than anywhere else. The added bonus was their unleaded contains 10% ethanol....gotta like that!

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2006 at 1:32pm
NoSB: Have to wonder what was being said 100 years ago about cars vs. horses - and if they were guessing that the same landfill problem would occur. After all, the disposal of horses seems easier than autos after the end of useful life. And, at the time, I'm sure that folks thought that a horse could easily outlive a car.

So, what's a "distinctly limited life?" Some people claim 5 year s for the standard US built auto. Of course, some of us keep our cars longer, and some keep them shorter. How long can a hybrid work? I don't know - but then, I'd venture a guess that if you look at the odometer of the driver, you'd see less than 150K on most of them. I'm only at 75K on the hybrid, and it's running much better than my old '89 Voyager did at the same point.

Right now, you are predicting end-of-the-world when the hybrid gets old. It's sort of like what happens after death, you can believe whatever you want, but right now, your guess is as good as mine.

I just disagree with your guess.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2006 at 12:31pm
NoSUV, as usual, your use of 'selective opposition' fails to address many relevant facts that undermine your pro-hybrid argument.

Fact 1: Your hybrid runs on gas! And although you and some confused-yet-influential politicians call this 'clean' fuel, it's just gas. And yes Virginia, gas is a dirty-burining, fossil fuel. So call it what you want, your car runs on the same fuel mine does.

Fact 2: Your SOV hybrid gets fewer 'passenger' MPGs (PMPGs)than my HOV car. Since this discussion revolves around commuting this comparison is very relevant and needs to pick up some steam, so I'll restate it here; my HOV car (with 4 passengers) X 25 MPG = 100 PMPGs, your SOV hybrid X 40 MPG = 40 PMPGs. This makes a traditional HOV commuting car 2.5 times more energy effecient at moving people than your SOV hybrid.

Fact 3: Your car also runs on stored electrical power generated by the gas engine in your car which constantly recharges batteries. (Since I don't have all the facts on the gas energy expended to create this stored electrical power, I'll stick to a discussion on batteries.) All batteries have a planned obsolesence, an engineerred number of times they can be recharged. I have read that hybrid batteries have an estimated life of about 10 years. So in about ten years following mile one, your several-hundred-pound battery pack will join thousands of others in a landfill contributing to all sorts of battery related pollution problems.

So sleep well tonight in your ignorance, NoSUV. You and all the other hybrid owners have bought into the falacy that hybrids are 'green,' when in fact, they are all environmental timebombs!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2006 at 11:59pm
raymond - way to go mixing witchcraft with theory! Gotta admit, you are creative with your not-quite-right facts.

The fact remains, and is undisputed, that hybrids get better fuel economy than similar cars in their class that are not hybrids.

The fact remains, and is undisputed by every definition but yours, that hybrids receive energy for their motors from more than one source.

The fact remains, and is undisputed, that no hybrid battery has yet reached the 10 year mark, so your landfill "fact" is really a fiction, and unproven. By the way, what percent of hybrid batteries are currently in landfills? Is it ZERO????

I sincerely feel sorry for you raymond, that you believe in your dilusions and cannot comprehend undisputed facts. Feel free to look in encyclopedias, dictionaries, trade magazines, or other sources of information instead of making up your facts.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2006 at 9:15am
NoSUV, you have yet to disprove any of the facts that have been asserted here. So stop wasting bandwidth just to spout your contradictions, they are unfounded. As usual, you choose to ignore facts that do not suit you. You need to take your blinders off!
gatewayslug View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatewayslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2006 at 2:49pm
More holes for the hybrid is better for the environment mystique. Note the comments about how even a Hummer has a lower "energy costs per miles driven" than the best hybrid when a "dust to dust" analysis is done.

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2006/082006/08072006/209918
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic