Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrid Plates - Getting Around Intent of Law

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2006 at 7:50pm
A person (NoSUV) who argues from a standpoint of ignorance and denial, and cannot even evaluate the validity of his own arguments, is not worthy of engaging in discussion. A person (NoSUV) who does not participate in slugging is not a member of the slugging community and is a Troll on this forum. NoSUV has demonstrated his ignorance in two major areas: First, he apparently has never experienced the terrible HOV lane congestion between Potomac Mills and Springfield in the morning, or at the HOV merge at Dumfries in the afternoon, having only used a few miles of 395 between Edsall Road and D.C. Second, he appears ignorant of some basic physics, particularly the Laws of Motion and the Second Law of Thermodynamics, as well as the system function of his car, when he erroneously claims that his hybrid actually uses more than one source of energy. Unless a hybrid vehicle battery can be plugged into an electrical outlet and recharged using energy derived from coal fire, nuclear fission, hydroelectric, solar, wind, etc., ALL OF ITS ENERGY COMES FROM GASOLINE, with the exception of the original factory charge, if there is one. (The charging function of electric motor-generator braking merely recovers kinetic energy from previous vehicle acceleration, traceable to the chemical energy of gasoline.) Sure, it’s more efficient and less polluting. But the focus of this forum is that of facilitating safe and efficient commuting (slugging), not marketing new technologies.
If we solve the problem of congestion, we go a long way toward solving the problems of energy and pollution, as most of us (except NoSUV) already know and are acting upon. Here is my suggestion for one step toward a solution (for what it's worth): Re-Stripe the HOV lanes for 3 lanes from near Potomac Mills (start at that first northbound fly-over on-ramp) to the Springfield fly-over exit to the main lanes. Then there would be plenty of room for all the hybrids and violators.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2006 at 8:24am
Welcome to the forum Slugjo. Man, you hit a brick wall right out of the blocks! NoSUV cannot be reasoned with. NoSUV works for either a hybrid manufacturer, an advertising agency with a car dealer as a client, or for the auto-makers lobby.

I use these discussions to sharpen my debate skills, and NoSUV's ramblings to validate my position on these subjects. I don't think that for a moment that I will change NoSUV's opinion (you can't argue with a sick mind), but hopefully this discussion will enlighten other readers to the SOV/hybrid falacy.
slugjo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2006 at 9:13am
Yep, Raymond, I knew I was hitting 2 brick walls when I posted. (The second was the thing about 3 lanes between Potomac Mills and Springfield. I know it won't happen, with HOT in the plans.) On the first brick wall, I will not engage any of NoSUV's replies, since I know it would be as futile as discussing evolution with a creationist. Have fun with him, you're doing OK. I find it amusing.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2006 at 9:19am
I assume you are aware that part of the HOT proposal is to convert the HOV lanes to 3 new "lanes" with a 2 foot shoulder on one side. This would supposedly add capacity. In reality, it could move more cars south of springfield (95 part), but on the 395 part, the massive bottleneck at the pentagon will negate any advantages of having 3 lanes. You could have a 10 lane superhighway going up to the pentagon and it wouldnt move any more cars than now move.
slugjo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2006 at 10:10am
Yep, I was just suggesting a short stretch of 3 lanes as really all we need at present; therefore it won't happen. I hate to be the one to encourage HOT, but if it has to happen, how about more exit ramps along 295, like at Seminary and Glebe, for instance. Not everyone wants to go all the way in, and more exits would relieve some of the bottleneck congestion. (This belongs in the HOT forum, doesn't it?) There's no hope for the southbound merge, except more enforcement, fewer SOV hybrids, and fewer tourists & 18 wheelers (no possibility). Actually, extending the express lanes (HOT) would eliminate the 6 to 3 lane merge bottleneck problem at 234.
slugjo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2006 at 10:12am
I meant 395. Sorry.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2006 at 6:16pm
slugjo - you obviously don't know that the theory on 395 as well as part of 95 was that restricting "local" traffic from "express" traffic would ease congestion and allow a more free-flow of traffic. That's why they are called "express lanes." As you well know, they are used for HOV less than 1/4 of the day, but they remain express the entire time they are in use.

Now, to your other false claims:
- saying that the energy recovered by the hybrid is a bi-product of gas is pretty stupid. you may as well claim that all energy sources have gas involved because the manufacture of engines requires energy which comes from fossil fuels. WHAT PART OF BETTER EFFICIENCY DON'T YOU GET?
- The reason there is a separate topic on slug-lines for hybrid discussions is because so many people posting had comments on hybrid use and its impact on traffic in the express lanes. Tell you what - if no one ever posts again about hybrids on this site, I'll go away. Otherwise, as a hybrid owner, I have more of a right to comment on this thread than you do.
- If you truely believe in saving energy, where's YOUR hybrid? Don't you agree that you save more if you have one? Or are you a hypocritic as well as someone who makes false statements?
LDOMAJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LDOMAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2006 at 9:51am
Moving subject up
rodmunera View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodmunera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2006 at 12:55am
Hahaha!!! It's funny how I now find myself just scanning NoSUV's messages while my mind goes: do you really want to bother? I can picture him as a 5 year old child repeating his argument "My (toy) machine gun is better because it has 3 red lights on the tip instead of the 2 yours has so you die quicker and I get to kill more!!" over and over and over.
slugjo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2006 at 8:24am
Since I cannot in good conscience engage NoSUV in this discussion, I am awaiting further input from Raymond et al. who, I am sure, have re-read my original post. NoSUV has further demonstrated his ignorance of basic chemistry (battery function) and the physics of energy conversions, as well as his state of denial and inability to evaluate the validity of his own argument. But I will always allow him to have the last word, like a creationist. I find it amusing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic