Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wash Post reporter looking for a few ex-VRE riders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wash Post reporter looking for a few ex-VRE riders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Miroff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wash Post reporter looking for a few ex-VRE riders
    Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 12:21pm
Hi, anybody out there fed up with VRE? I'm a Washington Post reporter looking for exasperated VRE commuters or ex-riders, b/c VRE ridership is actually down this year. Stories and rants are most welcome. Please email me your phone # at miroffn@washpost.com.

Nick Miroff
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2006 at 1:07pm
Why would you come looking here for "fed up" ex-riders? [TIC]

Dick Boyd needs to talk with you. He's got a good bit of rationale for building a case for slugging at the expense of VRE. Hope he comes up on the net, if not, you can search for him and send him a message.

Welcome to the last "free ride" in town!

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
sable2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sable2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2006 at 9:16am
I can't call myself an ex-rider, but I am RATHER fed up. I am one of those people who apparently doesn't "fit" in the slug community because I get off at 6:00pm and therefore cannot contribute a ride or a body to receive the benefits of HOV restricted time. (I stay on this site in hopeful anticipation that another alternative will be made known.) Currently I am able to slug in the morning, but need to take metro/vre in the evening. The vre train that would get me home at 7:30 (the same time I can get myself home driving SOV) departs from any one of a number of northern points at the exact same time as metro arrives, thus there is no possible way for me to catch the VRE train unless its late. The next VRE train does not depart these northern points until 40 minutes later. Fed up... I'd say! Try going to VRE website and planning a trip @ 6:00pm from Rosslyn to Fredericksburg, with a transfer point to VRE at any appropriate station. There's no way to avoid a "lay over". Regarding the on time performance which you are really probably trying to find rants about. I would not be the one to do the ranting as I am fairly new to this type of commute from any mass transit source. I caught one late VRE train, but that was my first day and I clearly would have missed it if it had not been late.

Enjoy!
msticaries View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msticaries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2006 at 4:21pm
Sable:

When I first started working in DC my schedule was like yours. So I took the Martz bus or drove in and picked up slugs in the AM. I finally convinced my employer to let me adjust my schedule to fit better into the slugging schedule.
sable2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sable2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2006 at 5:53pm
Msticaries,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Enjoy!
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2006 at 8:29pm
From the lack of responses, it appears most ex-VRE riders don't read this web site.[V]
They must have found carpools, ride the bus, drive alone, or don't know about this website. Or maybe still ... there aren't any ex-VRE riders!
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2006 at 10:07am
I tried the VRE when I first moved south of the Occoquan, which was before the HOV spanned it.

It sucked. It was expensive, hot, slow, unreliable, and expensive.

On my second week of trying, we ended up sitting on the bridge over the Potomac for 50 minutes with no air conditioning in August because, get this, lightning had struck the CSX HQ in Florida.

The price keeps going up, up, up. It has never gone down. It never will.

During the heat of summer, CSX is always putting speed restrictions on the trains because of potential buckling in the tracks. Nice!

The stations in Prince William County are basically too far away and on the other side of the major commuting routes from most of the subdivisions. Not convenient.

I haven't ridden in over ten years and can't imagine what, even toll roads, would ever drive me back onto the train.

Long Live Slugging!
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2006 at 11:00am
When I first moved to Stafford in late February, March and April 2004, I tried the VRE, using the Brooke station. I would catch the 6:21 train out of Brooke which was scheduled to arrive at Union Station at 7:38. When you get off the train at Union Station, you walk upstairs and there is a clock there. The clock almost always said 7:48 or 7:50, IF there had been no delays. By the time I walked to my office, I was signing in at 8:10 most days. An eight hour work day would be leaving work at 4:40 assuming a half hour lunch. I would catch the 5:15 return train scheduled to get back to Brooke by 6:31. I recall that most times, IF there were no delays, it would get back to Brooke at about 6:35-6:40.

So my total commute time was 2 hours into the office, and 2 hours back, or 4 hours a day. This did not include the time it took to drive to the train station, about 10 minutes each way.

VRE gives a free pass if your train is more than 30 minutes late. I got 4 of those in the 2 months or so of riding the train. The train was 5-10 minutes late more often than not. On one occasion, a bomb scare at Union station made me miss the train, it did not wait for us even though we were just a minute of two past the scheduled departure time and the train had also been held up because of the closure of the station.

The trains itself are not very well temperature controlled. In the winter, they were very cold. In the summer, they seem quite warm (I have taken the Manassas line a few times after I moved from Stafford). The trains also emit a strong odor from the engine that is discernible to the passengers and tends to make one fall asleep (I missed my stop one night because I fell asleep because of the fumes and had to take a taxicab back to my drop off point).

I would echo Spongebob's comments about the locations of the stations being incovenient for the commuting public. The Brooke Station was about 5 miles east of US 1, or about 6 miles east of I-95. I tried other stations, Quantico, Woodbridge, and Lorton and found I did not save any time driving to them because of their location way east of I-95 and the traffic delays common on Route 1.

The VRE was not cheap, and my transit subsidy did not even come close to helping me with the expense. Although this may have improved since then, I had difficulty on more than one occasion getting the machines to accept my credit card and printing my tickets.

The train stations are also very cold, and there is very limited shelter on them. I felt very cold while waiting for the trains to come and it got ridiculous when the trains were late and I was standing in the cold waiting for them.

There are many things VRE could do to improve service. VRE is not a subway and should not stop at Springfield or King street along the way. The trains need to be updated, and climate controlled such that a passenger does not sweat or freeze and cannot smell the train exhaust. The price is much too high for it.

I would note that the Manassas line does not seem to be plagued by the same ills as the Fredericksburg line although I have a much shorter ride on it now than when I lived in Stafford. But all in all, slugging is still the cheapest and quickest way for me to get to work.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic