FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTired of choking on hybrid fumes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2006 at 10:08am
The Sponge is going to come out in favor of hybrids. Yes!

Just not a lifetime extension of the HOV privilege.

My best friend bought a Prius in May after reading (yet another) liberal history of the Middle East that left him righteously fuming about U.S./Euro energy policy.

I told him he could use the HOV at his will. He said he could not care less -- he lives in Arlandria and works near Reston, so he already has a reverse commute.

The reason he bought the car is shown by his license plate: F-XOM.

He makes no claims to being super-green, but he is proud of his mileage. When they build a greener car, he'll buy it. Until then, he's doing what he can.

I think there are more people like him out there, and that's a good thing.
PennyPrius View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyPrius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2006 at 9:46am
Had to join this group just because I find it interesting that there are so many concerned citizens wishing to keep things so pure like limiting HOV lanes to vehichles with 3 or more people in them.

I am sure it has been covered before, but please humor me, why is it ok for motorcycles to be in the HOV if they only can carry a maximum of two people? For the purists out there who want to protect the HOV for those that have 3 or more people in them, this seems to be contradictory.

As far as wrotten egg smells, I think there is misinformation out there. I have not smelled that smell coming from hybrids. And besides that, I rarely have my windows open and rarely do I see many cars on the road with windows open. So this smell permeates the a/c system?

This whole concept of taking hybrids out of the HOV seems more sour grapish than anything else.

As far as I am concerned if there is a way to pull a few more cars off the regular lanes without too much inconvenience to anyone else, let it be. Moving traffic efficiently should be the first priority and removing hybrids from HOV is only going to make it worse for the regular folks on the regular side.

I admit, I am not a daily HOV commuter, but often enough to see that there is no real issue with extra traffic because of hybrids in HOV lanes. I think it has been blown out of proportion and your voices were way louder to the legislators than those of the hybrid owners and that is why the laws were modified.

As far as treehugging goes, I bought and drive a hybrid because I thought it was a neat technology and a nice car to drive. It has all the features of a more luxurious car such as navigation, HID headlights, bluetooth,etc. for the price of a normal sedan, and I get upwards of 40 MPG on top of it all. Will I make my money back? I don't even understand what that sentence means. I bought the car because it is what I wanted, which most upwardly mobile people do. I don't think I paid a premium, I think I got a good deal and a great car.

Where is the outrage for drivers who consistently break the law by not using directional signals? That urks me more than any other single issue in driving. A few extra cars in a HOV lane does not tweak me at all compared to the lack of courtesy on the roads, including use of directionals which isn't even a courtesy, it is a law!

And BTW, where is the outrage for the exemption for Law Enforcement Officers being able to use the HOV lanes without 3 people? Why should they be expempt? Why not let trash collectors and Starbucks workers on too? Afterall, LEO's are just coming/going to work like everyone else.

Thank you......I feel better already.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2006 at 8:51am
Bob, You may have been a few cars behind one of those "clean-burning" diesels (do they get special plates too?). I have noticed that they emit an unusual smell similar to the sulphur smell you describe.

Luddite, welcome to the light! You hit the nail on the head, but missed the benefit to the automaker's bottom line. Hybrids are just another product designed to market to people who are environmentally sensitive. Think of it, how in good conscience could anyone work at WWF or Greenpeace and drive a gas-hog (like the rest of us)? Now people can buy a hybrid, feel like they are making a positive difference, and sleep well at night in eco-ignorance.

Folks, hybrids burn gas too! And any gains in MPG are negated by SOV commuting and the future ecological threats of battery disposal. Wake up! Hybrids as ecological salvation is a falacy! Soylent Green is people!
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2006 at 2:52pm
I've noticed the smell too. One more time folks...hybrids aren't about the environment or efficiency. They are about riding solo. Sheesh.

Hybrids
Killed
HOV
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2006 at 8:41am
I can expand a little on what I said earlier. First, I have noticed this literally dozens of times, so there is something systematic here with at least some of the hybrids. I think it is mostly with the older Hondas, and may not involve Toyotas, but am not positive.

It happens on acceleration, although I have been at highway speed and noticed it then as well. In some cases it is pure rotten egg, and in other cases it just creates a burning sensation making it hard to breathe. It could be a tune up or computer setting issue, dont know.
rodmunera View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodmunera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 11:42pm
The Rotten egg smell on HOV is from hybrids? I thought it was weird, I always assumed that it was some sort of industrial byproduct coming off the Route 1 Corridor. I had no Idea why it seemed to plague the entire length of 395 / 95.

That explains a lot.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 9:52pm
quote:
Originally posted by Bob
[br]I think it is ridiculous how polluting some hybrids are when they are accelerating on an entry ramp. I'm sitting there and all of a sudden I can hardly breathe because of the noxious SO2 (rotten egg) fumes. I look up and there is a hybrid (or two or three) in front of me.

If we can't get these things out of the HOV, at least we should force them to meet some exhaust standards.

Bob, according to raymond, what you smelled is impossible since he claims that hybrids use exactly the same energy source as your vehicle. Which of you is wrong?
LDOMAJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LDOMAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 2:31pm
Rotten egg smell... interesting. Hybrids or inadvertant bodily function? (grin)

I certainly don't profess to be knowledgeable (quite the opposite I'am afraid) on the hybrid vs. regular issues but checked to see how my vehicle faired... I got this off of fuel economy website when compared side-by-side 4 cylinder, 4WD, automatic regular escape to a 4 cylinder 4WD, automatic hybrid. I only had time to look at mine so I cannot say that it is homogeneous with the rest of the community.

Ford Escape Hybrid 6.2 tons annual greenhouse gas emissions
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybrid_sbs_SUVs.shtml

Ford Escape 8.2 tons annual greenhouse gas emissions
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 11:28am
Bob,

They need the gas engine to get up to hiway speeds and to charge the batteries. Toyota Prius hybrids run all-electric only below 35 mph; and from what I read, the other manufacturers' gas engines run all the time and are supplemented by the electric when needed.

Do you know of anyone who really likes the smell of rotten eggs?
Those persons may be only the hybrid SOV drivers in the HOV lanes.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 9:00am
I think it is ridiculous how polluting some hybrids are when they are accelerating on an entry ramp. I'm sitting there and all of a sudden I can hardly breathe because of the noxious SO2 (rotten egg) fumes. I look up and there is a hybrid (or two or three) in front of me.

If we can't get these things out of the HOV, at least we should force them to meet some exhaust standards.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
  Share Topic