Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTired of choking on hybrid fumes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2006 at 9:46am
HOV-2 would immediately eliminate slugging, as a large part of the perceived safety quotient comes from the old adage, "three's a crowd."

If you want to alleviate the clogs in the regular lanes, get people to carpool, to slug, to ride the bus, or telecommute.

Encouraging MORE cars to be on the road, which is what HOV-2 would do, is EXACTLY what we do not need!

(I don't mean to flame a newbie quite so hard, but we keep having the same brilliant ideas put forward time and again.)

Instead of HOV-2, we will probably need to go to HOV-4, build more commuter lots, and expand the hours of HOV operation. That is, until the toll roads make it all moot.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2006 at 2:43pm
Sponge - have you ever thought that there might be legitimate reasons why people are in the regular lanes and can't carpool? What happens if their commute ends prior to the Pentagon by several miles, for example?

It makes no sense for the regular lanes to be jammed and for the express lanes to have almost no traffic. Thank goodness the toll system will help bring balance to the dark side of slugging.
PennyPrius View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyPrius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2006 at 2:52pm
quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBob
[br]HOV-2 would immediately eliminate slugging, as a large part of the perceived safety quotient comes from the old adage, "three's a crowd."

If you want to alleviate the clogs in the regular lanes, get people to carpool, to slug, to ride the bus, or telecommute.

Encouraging MORE cars to be on the road, which is what HOV-2 would do, is EXACTLY what we do not need!

(I don't mean to flame a newbie quite so hard, but we keep having the same brilliant ideas put forward time and again.)

Instead of HOV-2, we will probably need to go to HOV-4, build more commuter lots, and expand the hours of HOV operation. That is, until the toll roads make it all moot.

IMHO I think many slugs slug because it is easier, cheaper, for them to do so. It eliminates having to spend on gas, parking fees, good highway vehicles (ever hear of the term "station cars") where I grew up people had those. Many of the ones who pick up slugs do it because they want the convenience of HOV status. I think it is a mutual relationship between the two parties. The last reason is the environment and or wanting to do their part to reduce traffic congestion.

Opening up HOV to a few more cars would help matters on both sides of the highway divider.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2006 at 3:03pm
quote:
Originally posted by PennyPrius
[br]I just reversed commuted from National Airport and what a surprise, (not) Regular NB lanes were literally bumper to bumper from the mixing bowl and beyond, down to Dale City where I got off. Of course as per my limited experience, the HOV lanes were free flowing with light traffic. This was from around 0830 to 0915 me headed SB. I saw one Trooper car with a stopped alledged violator before 0900 on the HOV lanes.

I either hit it right all the times I use the HOV's or there is not as large a clog as many onthis site maintain even with hybrid vehicles using the HOV.

I say they should try HOV 2 for a few months as an experiment and see if that aliviates some of the non HOV lane congestion on the 95/395 corridor.

First comment: Troll alert.

Second comment: August traffic patterns are not representative of the entire year. Generally HOV inhabitants take a lot of summer time off becuase they tend to be professionals, vs the regular lanes.

Third comment: Incorrect observation re this morning. I was 15 minutes later than usual this morning due to HOV congestion on 395.

SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2006 at 3:31pm
Yes, Bob, troll alert indeed.

The point to HOV is to reduce the total number of vehicles in the roadway. The roadway is the three regular lanes and the two divided lanes. They are one road.

Now, on to flaming: Pennyprius, thank you for the extremely helpful and insightful remarks on slugging. Who would have thought that people slug for convenience? Wow. Thank you for that.

But your assertion that "Opening up HOV to a few more cars would help matters on both sides of the highway divider," is... mindbogglingly... ignorant.

If your assertion were true, then it would be even more helpful to open up all five lanes of the roadway to ALL traffic. But then very few people would carpool, and none would slug. And with all the extra cars those former slugs and carpoolers add to the mix, the roads would be clogged on both sides, all five lanes.

All you have to do is look around Horner Road lot one morning, then imagine all those thousands of cars on the road. And add Seidenstricker, and Potomac Mills, and 610, and Old Hechinger's, and 234, and so on...

Please.

NoSUV next.

Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2006 at 3:43pm
One definition of a troll is someone who purports to use the HOV and proposes that it be changed to HOV2 to allow in thousands of additional cars. Doesn't sound too logical does it?
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyPrius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2006 at 3:43pm
quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBob
[br]Yes, Bob, troll alert indeed.

The point to HOV is to reduce the total number of vehicles in the roadway. The roadway is the three regular lanes and the two divided lanes. They are one road.

Now, on to flaming: Pennyprius, thank you for the extremely helpful and insightful remarks on slugging. Who would have thought that people slug for convenience? Wow. Thank you for that.

But your assertion that "Opening up HOV to a few more cars would help matters on both sides of the highway divider," is... mindbogglingly... ignorant.

If your assertion were true, then it would be even more helpful to open up all five lanes of the roadway to ALL traffic. But then very few people would carpool, and none would slug. And with all the extra cars those former slugs and carpoolers add to the mix, the roads would be clogged on both sides, all five lanes.

All you have to do is look around Horner Road lot one morning, then imagine all those thousands of cars on the road. And add Seidenstricker, and Potomac Mills, and 610, and Old Hechinger's, and 234, and so on...

Please.

NoSUV next.

Only comment is a question? Who died and left a very few of you arrogant and rude folks in charge of having opinions and being able to disseminate them?

SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2006 at 3:46pm
Dear NoSUV:

No, I am guilty, as everyone here will tell you, of thinking only about myself. (snicker.)

That is called sarcasm.

Your question was, if I recall: "have you ever thought that there might be legitimate reasons why people are in the regular lanes and can't carpool? What happens if their commute ends prior to the Pentagon by several miles, for example?"

Hmm. You mean like mine did when I worked in Alexandria for two years? Or when I worked in the Mount Vernon area?

So yes, I've thought about it because I've been there. Here's how I handled it: I thanked the people who were using the carpool lanes for getting their sorry butts out of my way.

I thanked the people in the vanpools and the Omniride buses for leaving their cars in lots rather than adding them to the mix.

I thanked also the other people who adjusted their schedules to spread out the traffic, so that those of us with set reporting times and daycare deadlines could stand some small chance of making it on time.

I discovered a ten minute window in the morning when I95 was somewhat clear to the Beltway.

I got up earlier each day, because I had, after all, accepted these jobs knowing where they were located.

Here's what I didn't do: troll a website where my arguments repeatedly were brought down in flames by a mere cartoon character.

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyPrius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2006 at 3:51pm

Not sure what a troll is but it doesn't sound very polite or adult like in behavior, Bobby!

Secondly, I have stated I was more of an occaisonal HOV user several times and was strictly speaking from my personal experiences.

Thirdly, I mentioned exact times I was driving when I made my observations this morning. I don't know what time you commuted. How is what I stated at the time I stated it incorrect?

If you want to start a confrontation with me, you are off to a great start Bob. I come in peace.

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyPrius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2006 at 4:07pm
quote:
Originally posted by Bob
[br]One definition of a troll is someone who purports to use the HOV and proposes that it be changed to HOV2 to allow in thousands of additional cars. Doesn't sound too logical does it?

Bob, I mentioned in my very first post that I was an occaisonal user of the HOV lanes. My job is such that I don't report to work on a daily basis, so I don't need to be on the road everyday. (You can thank me now) When I do go to or come home from work, I take the HOV lanes if available (in my Prius)

It didn't seem logical to me to go to war in Iraq but we did anyway. So your point is pointless. Logic to one is illogical to another.

Trying different things to alliviate congestion is better than sitting around thinking your entitled to use a road because you slug. Or trying to prevent others from using it because of your opinions, Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot, I am a troll, and my opinions don't count.

Personally, I think it is illogical and borderline illegal to use my tax dollars to build something and then tell me I can't use it because I don't meet the criteria. What kind of crap is that? Only special people can use a federal Hwy?

Now, if you want to start something with me, be my guest, I can hold my own, I deal with arrogance, rudeness and ignorance on a near daily basis for my job so it is nothing new to me to have to answer your type of personality.

I thought this was a place to discuss issues, not to put people down because they have a differing view than yours.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
  Share Topic