Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTired of choking on hybrid fumes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
Author
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2006 at 9:41am
Define "sacrifice"
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2006 at 1:54pm
NoSUV, as usual you talk a very noble story, but are light on your views on society. You really need a reality check. "The Depression?" What do you know of it? Sure you talk about victory gardens and flop-house style living, but that just demonstrates your ignorance! Do you really think cashing in soda bottles and re-using tin foil is going to fix our problems? Sure it will, just like mandating bus riding and outlawing POVs will. NOT!

Oh, but you have another solution: let's all buy hybrids! What an idiot! Why would you even propose such a lark, but to inflame! Forget that this runs contrary to your depression-era lifestyle sermon of just a few lines ago, we should all spend what equates to the average depression-era annual salary as a hybrid premium, in addition to the cost of a new energy efficeint traditional car, to buy a new car. Forget that cars of today are far more energy efficient, safer and cleaner than a depression are car. Should we turn back the hands of time or drive a hybrid into the future? Instead I think we would be better off lining up to follow NoSUV driving off a cliff!

NoSUV needs to try some of NoSUV's own medicine.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2006 at 3:51pm
raymond - review the string before making your comments. It makes you look stupid, and I have the feeling that wasn't your intent. These comments were about a single individual not knowing how to save $8K.
bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2006 at 2:19pm
...and just to clarify Penny. Cops are exempt because they carry firearms. Even when they are off duty they are on duty. I have no qualms about them being on HOV cause they can potentially be saving someones life.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2006 at 9:46am
Cops are not exempt because they carry firearms.

From VDOT's website: "4. Emergency vehicles (fire, ambulance, rescue) and law enforcement vehicles are exempt. Public utility vehicles are permitted to use HOV lanes when responding to emergency calls."

I take this to mean that cop cars, not cops, have the right to use the HOV lanes at will. How is a state trooper on the side of the road supposed to know that the woman driving the Accord alone is a cop? And don't tell me about the little dashboard lights, either.

Some time ago I saw a page on VDOT's website that had the rules spelled out using the legal authorization language: it said something about "officers of the court in the pursuit of their duties" had HOV exemption.

Cops are not exempt because they are lifesavers. If that were the criteria then doctors and paramedics and off-duty firefighters ought to have exemption, too. Cops have exemption because... well, figure it out for yourself.

As long as they aren't abusing the privilege like this is Russia then I don't have a problem with them, either.
bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2006 at 3:10pm
That is what I meant by them carrying firearms. Most of the time they are in unmarked vehicles with law enforcement. Sorry need to clarify.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2007 at 8:36am
Article in the B section of todays wall st journal talking about the fact that blind pedestrians cannot hear silent hybrids and they need to hear something for safety. I never thought about that but even with normal vision, I have been surprised a couple of times to look up and a hybrid was waiting on me and I didnt know it was there.
LDOMAJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LDOMAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2007 at 11:07am
I've had riders comment on the same thing... maybe we do like we used to do on our childhood bicycles... clothes pin and a playing card against the spokes (grin).
victorhugoa View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victorhugoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2007 at 8:25am
quote:
Originally posted by Bob
[br]Article in the B section of todays wall st journal talking about the fact that blind pedestrians cannot hear silent hybrids and they need to hear something for safety. I never thought about that but even with normal vision, I have been surprised a couple of times to look up and a hybrid was waiting on me and I didnt know it was there.

…it happened to me. I didn’t know the car was there and almost… ouch.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2007 at 1:25pm
Drive safe, what ever you drive! And walk safe, especially in the city!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
  Share Topic