Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTired of choking on hybrid fumes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 16>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyPrius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2006 at 9:42am
I am getting 43 MPG on strict hwy driving. I compare that to a car or suv that gets 15 MPG. What exactly is wrong with what I stated before?

In one year of ownership living in PW county, I get better mpg on the hwy than I do in "city" driving. I think "City" has a different definition according to the EPA because my experience is as I said, better mpg on the hwy.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2006 at 9:18pm
quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBob
[br]Michelle McQuig's latest e-newsletter had the stats. They showed a drop off in hype-bred purchases after July 1, but that was only to be expected. It would be better if they kept selling well without the exemption.

Total Toyota sales for hybrids just hit 60K US wide. How many vehicles in NoVA express lanes? Far, far less. Need to complete the environmental benefit by banning all vehicles not alternate fuel from the express lanes. Do you think the environment will benefit? Buy a hybrid or get on the bus.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2006 at 8:24am
quote:
Originally posted by PennyPrius
[br]I am getting 43 MPG on strict hwy driving. I compare that to a car or suv that gets 15 MPG. What exactly is wrong with what I stated before?

In one year of ownership living in PW county, I get better mpg on the hwy than I do in "city" driving. I think "City" has a different definition according to the EPA because my experience is as I said, better mpg on the hwy.

As I said, look at the window sticker of your Prius. You'll find the city mpg is higher than the hwy. Why? In bumper to bumper traffic you are running mostly on battery, not gas.

If you go by MPG, Hybrids belong in the regular lanes, not the express lanes.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2006 at 3:44pm
Fill your hybrid's seats with slugs or get on the bus!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2006 at 3:59pm
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]Fill your hybrid's seats with slugs or get on the bus!

Get on the bus or buy a hybrid. raymond - your kids (and grandkids) are the ones who are going to suffer because you put your head in the sand.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2006 at 10:43am
I can't afford kids, I'm saving up to buy a hybrid because NoSUV said I should.

BTW, you're one to talk about dumping eco-problems onto the next generation. Your rolling landfill time-bomb will cause as much or more eco-damage as any other vehicle on the street. Hypocrit!

Fill up your seats, make some friends, or get on a bus!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2006 at 11:11am
raymond - if you'll recall, I used the articles you provided the links to and proved that the landfill problem doesn't exist. Also, you previously stated that you provide a taxi service for your kids.
Get on the bus or buy a hybrid!
CatHerder View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatHerder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2006 at 12:58pm
Here's some interesting info on Batteries. The never-ending and annoying bickering between hybrid owners and regular car owners is driving this forum to the ground.

http://www.hybridcars.com/hybrid-battery-toxicity.html
http://www.batterycouncil.org/recycling.html

Greener Pastures for Car Batteries
The carmakers are waiting in the wings. Toyota and Honda place decals with a toll-free number on their hybrid battery packs. Toyota offers a $200 bounty to ensure that every battery comes back to the company. In a press release, Toyota states, "Every part of the battery, from the precious metals to the plastic, plates, steel case and the wiring, is recycled." Honda arranges for the collection of the battery and transfers it to a preferred recycler to follow their prescribed process: disassembling and sorting the materials; shredding the plastic material; recovering and processing the metal; and neutralizing the alkaline material before sending it to a landfill.

Honda, Toyota and the entire auto industry are pumping millions of dollars into research regarding lithium ion batteries for tomorrow's cars. Their primary motivation is to reduce the cost and increase the potency of hybrid batteries. Fortunately, supplanting lead and nickel batteries with rechargeable lithium batteries is also promising from an environmental perspective. Instead of clogging landfills with more toxic chemicals, hybrids—especially future hybrids powered by lithium ion batteries—may represent greener pastures for car batteries.
slugjo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2006 at 3:17pm
seems to me it's only one hybrid owner involved in the bickering.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2006 at 3:51pm
Yea Cat, I read that to, on Toyota's website! I'm sure Toyota's website is going to publish an objective pro/con discussion about the 400 pound battery packs in their hybrids that willb e headed to landfills in a few years. Not! They want to sell cars!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 16>
  Share Topic