Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedClarifying the Slug Anti HOT Stance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clarifying the Slug Anti HOT Stance
    Posted: 29 Aug 2006 at 2:52pm
After reading a couple of recent postings by one of our favorite trolls, I concluded that there may be a need to clarify my position on 95 HOT lanes, and see if some of you agree with this. The argument is being made that we are complainers who have no alternatives to HOT, so why not support HOT because it is the only proposed revenue stream.

We have a right to oppose HOT on 95 because it is a real and direct threat to HOV. If it were being proposed in St Louis or some city with no major HOV, that would be entirely different. We are defending the best HOV system in the country and the current proposal converts us to HOT. I for one am not strictly against toll roads or even HOT where it creates a new lane or where it creates opportunities for carpooling that weren't there before.

Second, opposition to HOT likely will not result in there being no HOT lane built. But, if we remain active on this issue, we may get concessions down the road that would give us leverage or guarantees in certain ways, or reduce the impact of privacy issues, costs, etc.

We are not just complaining. We are promoting the continuation of HIGH OCCUPANCY commuting. We are putting politicians who support HOT on notice that if HOV is seriously harmed, all of us will have big time problems.

n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2006 at 3:11pm
Here, Here! I like your positive attitude! And these are all good points; staying vocal and active is the key. What do you suggest? Storm the palace gates? I'm up for that!
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2006 at 9:59am
Once Upon A Time,

Several little sluggies gathered around a table at a restaurant and talked about opposition to toll roads and Saving HOV.

But there were only six little sluggies... where were all the other sluggies? Didn't they know the sky was about to fall? Didn't they hear the wolves scratching round the door, looking for a way to make little sluggies extinct?

Six Little Sluggies went to public meetings... they talked and they talked and they talked and they talked.

And the Wolves didn't listen.

Because the Wolves didn't care! They were hungry! Their minds were made up -- they were going to feast, and if the sluggies got in the way... well, too bad!

The Wolves took a vote and decided to take away the things that kept the little sluggies alive. Sluggies were not given a vote, and when they talked, the Wolves stuck their paws in their ears and whistled the macarena.

So now the sluggies are doomed. Because only Six Little Sluggies ever tried to stop the Wolves.

MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2006 at 7:49am
I recently spoke with a slug that actually went to all of the meetings. She said that the developer clarified that they will close the HOT lanes to all traffic, including HOV, when it's "at capacity". Killing HOV is definitely on the table.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic