Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It Matters What You Call It

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2006 at 3:43pm
Personal property tax is BS. You are paying tax to park your vehicle on the property that you park on. OH-KAY...

SO-
I bought my car, and paid tax on invoice.
I pay for gas to fuel my car, I pay tax on my gas.
I pay MORTGAGE- that PAYS for the LAND I PARK MY car on.
I pay HOA fees, to take care of the land I park my car on.

Never mind the interest you pay on Mortgage, car insurance, car loan, car maintenance. ETC...

WHAT ON EARTH is a valid reason to PAY for the PROPERTY I park MY car on. When I OWN the land my car is on??

SOMEONE validate personal property tax for me. PLEASE?! The commonwealth of VA is REDICULOUS.

Sorry, this has been a pissed at the world rainy day rant.

All rights reserved. GMHP.

GMHP was hea!
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2006 at 4:28pm
Well, I started this thread to encourage people to use the word "carpool" rather than the acronym "HOV" for the lanes we use every day.

Now we've gone as far afield as property tax and NoSUV has again indulged in one of his stumbling off-kilter rambles through the weedfields of his mind.

It's raining. The Governor handed ten big to Fluor, interest free, but hasn't said where I go to get my interest free loan for my private business. That is probably SOP for the state, for all I know.

Let's clip this thread. Goodnight all. Time to go catch the Omniride.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 7:32am
quote:
Originally posted by HOV3Slug
[br]NoSUV,
Folks slug because it is a time saver. If I turn into the lot and there are cars lined up I park and slug. On the other hand if the bodies are lined up I drive. Time is money. Also the new term is EFH. Every F-ing Hybrid stay out of the left lane. Remember, time is money.
If the Commonwealth of Virginia wants to have everyone driving a hybrid, just make them exempt from personal property tax(Please don't tell me they already are).
NoSUV, I hope you are not a manager of sorts. You just don't like dealing with people. I hope you do not find it too much of an effort to pray for people.

If it's just time, then approximately how much are you giving to the driver? Congratulations on standing up to the peer pressure!
Galah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 1:13pm
Perhaps it is all in a name...in which case, I vote against "Carpool lane", I like slugging. I'm committed to slugging, but I am NOT committed to carpooling, there's a big difference! If I miss a pick-up in a carpool, I've violated an agreement. If I can't pick up a slug...odds are very good someone else will...
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 2:06pm
Hello all. This is my first time posting. I think the lane should retain the name HOV.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2006 at 10:18am
Question: If VDOT turns over the keys to the HOV/HOT/express lanes to a private company, then how can VA Police ticket anyone on it? I thought Police could not issues tickets on private property!
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2006 at 11:09am
It may be analagous to a police officer making an arrest at a shopping mall, also a private facility. Cheating on the toll road is essentially stealing.

I would rather have the rules of the road enforced by state police officers than a private security force. Like in other parts of the world.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2006 at 1:15pm
No doubt State Troopers will be issuing the tickets, but my question is about if that is legal and enforcable.

For example, can police issue tickets in a privatly owned parking lot, like a shopping center? I thought not. Nor can they issue me a ticket on my private property. And if the HOT lanes are built and operated (and owned?) by a private company, then what power do the police have to ticket drivers, of to enforce the tickets? Also if the HOT lanes are owned by a private company, then the company must set and enforce the rules.

Of course, if the HOT lanes are not 'owned' by the private company, but by the state, then the company has no right to keep citizens of the state off the road.

Does this make any sense?
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2006 at 3:42pm
I recall doing some research last year and the VA legislature made all the modifications needed to do enforcement on the hot lanes. In terms of who owns them, I guess they are still owned by the state but operated by the company. Enforcement is done by state troopers but the revenue goes to the HOT operator. See the link below. Dont know for sure that this bill (in the link) represents what was eventually passed

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+33.1-56.3
slugdriverandslugrider View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugdriverandslugrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2006 at 4:38pm
The 'private roads' are only 'private' to the owners not the users there of. So the owner could easily give the State of VA the right to enter and enforce traffic laws - and I would hazard to guess this will be worked in to the contract. And no... the owners could not just go speeding like little Dale Jarretts ... they would have already given the police the right to enforce the venue - not just particular users of the venue.

I'm confident that those crafty devils we call lawyers can come up with confounding verbiage to accomplish this.

quote:

can police issue tickets in a privately owned parking lot, like a shopping center?

... yes for certain things. It's referred to as a Public Vehicular Area in many states.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic