Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ticketing Jaywalkers at Bobs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 11:46am
Ray, then the Church parkers have to cross the street. Either way someone has to cross teh street.

Best plan, have the county buy the lot for a commuter lot, build a large parking structure, and establish a bus center and formalized slug center.

They are talking about doing this down off backlick by the parkway, I think the OKM center would be a better effort for the County, plus it could renovate the horrible dilapidated area that is there.

Whooo, man am I going radical today or what.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 12:00pm
Colossus sees the light! Alert the new media!

Yes, that would be one of many best case scenerios, and the area around Spgfld Plz is slated for redevelopment. But it is unlikely that anyone would dedicate much of that valuable real estate to our little non-profit slugging venture. So likely we will get drummed out of the area eventually, if not by the Toyota dealer then by the Spgfld Plz owners.

Another best case scenerio that has been tossed around in this forum, relocate the slug line to the Spgfld. Mall (off Frontier, near Penny's/Macy's garage). Yes, its a few minutes and a few lights further east than Bob's, but there are many reasons why its a better option. Lots of free parking, established bus lines, close prox. to the metro, easy access to the HOV lanes, and the Mall mgt. has already invited us. And while the Mall is also part of Spgfld. redevelopment plans, all these benefits will likely still be there. Plus, no streets to cross!
chmp View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 12:05pm
I will NOT park my car all day at Springfield mall. Until they clean that area up there is no way the line will move there. Springfield Plaza is not a beacon of safety either, but I feel a lot better leaving my car there then over at the mall where they are still trying to get all the gang activity under control.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 12:07pm
We don't care on which side of OKM they put the slug line. Slugs will still cross the road illegally to get to it.
We just don't want jaywalking slugs coming out of the dark and suddenly appear in front of a car on that busy stretch of road.

It's already hectic on OKM at S'field Plaza with drivers having to check mirrors, look over their shoulders, etc. to move into the correct lane to enter the HOV lanes, regular lanes, and the parking lot for slug line pick-up.

Having to also watch for jaywalking slug pedestrians is an additional driving task that contributes to an already dangerous stretch of road.

Just build the barricade west to the Spring Street intersection and police presence for public safety will not be needed at "Bob's".

Otherwise, we'll just have to hope there won't eventually be a "SPLAT" on the "8-lane live version of Frogger" game on OKM.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 1:19pm
I agree that the best long term solution is to move the line to a designated commuter/park and ride location.

Backlick, the Mall, wherever that's safe for all. I side benefit might be that more riders and drivers go to Rolling Valley - there's plenty of both that live in Burke and West Springfield who opt for Bob's due to the lack of riders and/or drivers at RV.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2006 at 6:45am
Didn't see a single jaywalker or police cruiser at Bob's this morning.
Something must be happening!
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2006 at 7:20am
You weren't there at 6:30 then...

And neither were drivers. Is it the early fall vacation season already?
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2006 at 7:39am
As we passed Bob's this morning, we had 4 in the Grand Marq already from our carpool rendezvous in Burke. We were early and passed the Bob's slug line location about 6:10. We noticed one lady slug standing there, but didn't see if or how she crossed OKM.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2006 at 7:46am
Around 6:30 one casually strolled across (making cars stop for him) and another sprinted across. One guy crossed to the median from the Springfield Plaza side of OKM, then walked the median toward the crosswalk for a while before he crossed.
colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2006 at 8:15am
I was there this morning for about 10 min. No one crossed the street (funny how now all the slugs walk up in mass from the light, must have been 20-25 all at the same time. Was pretty funny.

However, LAST NIGHT when I dropped off, I sat and watched like 30 people run right across the street. What good is morning enforcement without the same evening enforcement? What does that accomplish other then to try and shut down the morning slug line?

OHHHH!!!! Darn, man my conspiracy theories gene is kicking in. I just don't get the enforcement effort which seems like such a waste. Unless someone is trying to close down the stop. Just got me a little...hmmmm!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic