FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSOV countdown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 17>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2007 at 1:28pm
"Almost every successful change has been through a radical departure from the established norm. Some examples? How about the creation of the United States? "planned, predictable and measured steps"?"

That's why it is called the Revolutionary War! It began a long series of changes in the structure and government of our country starting with a radical departure (that, by the way, threw us into the midst of social and economic chaos for several years) followed by many planned and measured baby steps that took place over time. Please, even though our Constitution was adopted in 1787, it was not ratified until each state had a chance to digest it, and a Bill of Rights was accepted by each state, over four years later in 1791 (and over 15 years after the Declaration of Independence was written). Our country operated with out an official charter for 15 years! Talk about chaos! Is this what you propose?

Changes take time! Here's a question for you, NOSUV "the radical historian," how much time has elapsed between the adoption of the Constitution and the last amendment to be ratified?
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2007 at 1:07pm
But I (and millions of freedom loving Americans) already have an investment in our vehicles. Many run just fine. And let's not forget that late model vehicles are far more energy efficient and far less polluting than those of decades past. Would you propose we send them all to the scrapyard and buy hybrids? How would you treat conventional cars that get over 30 MPG? Trash 'em all and buy hybrids (at 20%+ higher price)? Now that really makes sense! NOT!

Like I said, small changes, baby steps, at a measured pace, over time will be successful in making a real lasting positive impact. Did you know it takes the distance of 1.5 miles for an aircraft carrier to exeucte a 90% turn?
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2007 at 12:58pm
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]Carpooling ...makes better use of existing investments in our chosen method of transportation, ...

And that is EXACTLY the crux of the problem. Until YOU change YOUR chosen method of transportation, the pollution only gets worse, the congestion increases, the outrageous use of fuel continues. Add a million more people to our region, and you can quickly see that a radical change is needed.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2007 at 12:54pm
quote:
[br] I'll go back to the PMPG arguments of previous posts and ask you to prove that even the ecological claims you make with a hybrid cannot be matched on a Passenger Miles Per Gallon basis with a frugal normal car driver.

Speaking of which, does YOUR car get better miles per gallon at 40 mph or 60 mph?
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2007 at 12:52pm
quote:
[br]Anyone who knows anything about change management knows that in order for changes to be effective, they must take place in planned, predictable and measured steps.

raymond - actually, that's not even close to being true! Almost every successful change has been through a radical departure from the established norm. Some examples? How about the creation of the United States? "planned, predictable and measured steps"? Of course, you could claim that the change was NOT effective.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2007 at 12:34pm
So far so good, Einstein.

But it is not that I believe there is no one simple solution to our complex problems, this is a fact. You have provided examples of radical solutions and Webster defined it for us. Look it up under "radical," as in "radical social change," you'll find "carried to the farthest limit, extreme, sweeping," "revolutionary changes," or "One who advocates soicial revolution." Are you proposing social revolution? Here iti is used in a sentence, "Suicide is a radical and permenant solution to temporary problems." Our probelms are many, and complex. Your radical solution proposals take a narrow prespective and address an ego-centric view of what is best for society, namely what is best for you.

Anyone who knows anything about change management knows that in order for changes to be effective, they must take place in planned, predictable and measured steps. Mandating public transportation, forcing the commuting public to pay 10 - 20% or more for their vehicles, kicking carpoolers out of the back seat to make way for nearly empty hybrids, is not only poor change management, its absurd!

Carpooling solves many problems! That's self-explanatory but I'll elaborate; It takes vehicles off the road, it reduces fuel consumption, it reduces traffic congestion, it reduces pollution, it makes better use of existing investments in our chosen method of transportation, it is easy, it requires small changes in our habits, its voluntary, it promotes friendliness/sharing/positive relationships, it feels good. How many reasons do you need?

I will not accept your proposal that I can buy my way out of our society's problems. The net long-term benefits of hybrid technology are still unproven, its application as a solution to our many problems is still debatable, and the sources that advocate it are dubious. The only clear winner with hybrids are the manufacturers. Can you say that your vehicle ownership costs are less with a hybrid than with a comparable car? Can you say that your SOV hybrid contributes to reduced traffic congestion? I'll go back to the PMPG arguments of previous posts and ask you to prove that even the ecological claims you make with a hybrid cannot be matched on a Passenger Miles Per Gallon basis with a frugal normal car driver.

There are many qualitative reasons why commuting in cars is "better" than commuting via mass transit, not to mention the individual needs of many commuters who have transportation needs that do not fit a bus schedule. And I won't even attack the smog spewing half-full busses that clog up the HOV lanes. I'm usually HOV 4 commuting when I see that!

Got it?!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2007 at 8:25am
quote:
[br] As I have said before, many of NoSUV's arguments are, by definition, radical; simple proposed solution to a complex problem, and most are clearly insane. At the least, these claims are certainly unrealistic...

Most of the participants in this forum understand that real, acheivable, positive steps toward a solution include those that are easily implementable (in real world situations), and require little adaptation by those affected.

Carpooling solves many, many problems. "Hey, I'm going into DC anyway. Why not pick up a few slugs and ride in the express lanes. I get a fast ride, they get a fast ride, everyone's happy!" And guess what, the environment benefits, traffic congestion is eased, fossil fuel demands are reduced, etc. Small changes = big results! I'd even support HOV-4. Why do hybrid drivers demand special treatment when they are not a substitute for common sense real solutions?!

Force feeding SOV hybrids solves no problems. "Hey, I'm going to spend $25,000. on a car anyway, why not spend $30,000. instead?!" Sorry, that is a tough pill to swallow. Its not realistic to assume the general public can stomach the extra $$. We can't afford it, nor can most people justify the argument that they can spend their way out of our eco/traffic/fuel problems. We're too smart to fall for the hype.

And while were at it NoSUV, let's mandate masss transit. "Sure, I'll give up my nice clean, reliable, convenient, comfortable car ride for a standing-room-only spot on a dirty, crowded, smelly, expensive bus or metro train." How bonehead is this assumption? Well, in NoSUV's world its already the only feasible solution. How about mandating "bicycle only" lanes for commuting? It's about as realistic as your "HOV 40" proposal.

OK, let's do as the Sponge and summarize:
- you believe that there is no such thing as a simple solution to a complex problem
- solutions should be easily implementable and require little adaptation by those affected
[Wow! talk about your contridictions! But let's proceed...]
- Carpooling solves many problems; hybrids do not.
- The general public won't pay an additional $5K for a vehicle that helps with the eco/traffic/fuel problems.
- Commuting in cars is better that commuting in mass transit.

Did I get it right?
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2007 at 11:38am
Great post, Raymond.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2007 at 2:12pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]dark - I have a problem with the usurping of mass transit. Take your slug line, for example. How many people go from that location to the Pentagon in a 30 min period? Enough to fill a bus?

The best way to ease congestion is for HOV-40; and the best way to ease pollution and slow global warming is to use SULEV. The current system has negative incentives for both.

Buses are for OTHERS, not for SOME of the privileged. I find the latest attempt to self-justify why SOME should be allowed their SOV-privileged status while directing OTHERS to take mass transit somewhat amusing. Seems the true colors of selfishness start to show through the thin veneer of altruism previously espoused.

Mildly amusing this time. Grows tedious over time. Truth wins the battle though....except where big biz buys more clout than the average man's vote is worth.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2007 at 4:54pm
Couldn't have said it better myself
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 17>
  Share Topic