Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSOV countdown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 17>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2006 at 2:30pm
quote:
Originally posted by Luddite
[br]I'm all for HOV-40 - except hybrids must still go solo. Good thing our General Ass-embly is looking out for...solo drivers. Yeah, that's efficiency.

Should be HOV-40 with hybrid exemption. It's a super non-taxpayer subsidized method to decrease the global warming trend. If we ever get to the congestion tipping point with the express lanes with only hybrids and mass transit, then back to carpools, both formal and informal.

You'll know it's working when the commuter lots are full of parked hybrids.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2006 at 3:56pm
OMG, have we resurrected this insane discussion? Where to begin...

How about this: NoSUV is truely insane! Proven not only by the total idiocy of these arguments supporting hybrid hypocracy and radical mass transit communism at the expense of the simple, free, effective carpooling/slugging/HOV solution (which, by the way, works just fine for those who have seen the light), but also by continuing to argue the same points that have already proven a failure to convert anyone in this forum and expecting different results.

Our sane arguments only entertain the crazy.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2006 at 4:49pm
my, my, raymond - nothing constructive to add? Really hard to challenge facts, isn't it. Try reading the string before you put up a moronic post.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2006 at 11:34am
To reduce overall pollution, the express lanes should be limited to hybrids and buses, right NoSUV?

Allowing ridesharers to use the HOV lanes means they have no incentive to get rid of their SUV's or other gas guzzlers, adding up over time to more pollution.

Limiting the rush hour HOV lanes to carpoolers increases congestion on the regular lanes (as proven by the data on long commute times in DC.) Increasing the overall congestion leads to more pollution.

After almost two years of debating you, NoSUV, I'm wondering if I have at least have encapsulated your main points correctly?
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2006 at 2:01pm
I have wasted so much bandwidth building realistic and sane arguments, constructive and inclusive solution proposals, and debated these issues with you , NoSUV, that I concede to the insanity of this debate, (which is defined by repeating the same actions and expecting different results). I have read your rants, posted my reasoning in reply, and have learned: you can't argue with a sick mind.

I think, now more than ever, that you are either insane, that you work for an auto dealership/auto manufacturer/hybrid lobby, or have some other ulterior motive for your perpetual idiocy. You spend so much time online defending your rants, I have to think you are getting paid by the word. I'm content to sit back these days and watch newbees pass through these virtual doors, attempt to beat some sense into your head, and move on to more fruitful endevours. NoSUV, you are a lost cause! But don't mistaken this post as acceptance of your ideas; you are also very, very misguided and confused in your theology.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2006 at 2:20pm
rain man - did you even read the previous post including Sponge's email and the 4 bites?
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2006 at 2:31pm
quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBob
[br]To reduce overall pollution, the express lanes should be limited to hybrids and buses, right NoSUV?

Allowing ridesharers to use the HOV lanes means they have no incentive to get rid of their SUV's or other gas guzzlers, adding up over time to more pollution.

Limiting the rush hour HOV lanes to carpoolers increases congestion on the regular lanes (as proven by the data on long commute times in DC.) Increasing the overall congestion leads to more pollution.

After almost two years of debating you, NoSUV, I'm wondering if I have at least have encapsulated your main points correctly?

Sponge, as they said in Korea, not quite right.

To reduce overall pollution, all vehicles should be SULEV, which is mostly hybrids at this point. Taxpayers should not have to subsidize this turnover from conventional to SULEV. To provide an incentive for this turnover without taxpayer subsidy, as well as to move more people into mass transit, express lanes should be for only SULEV and mass transit vehicles.

There is currently no incentive for many to reduce pollution by using mass transit or SULEV purchase because of the expense. In this area, the slug system is the primary culprit in encouraging people to avoid mass transit and SULEV solutions.

The regular lanes remain more congested than the express lanes, at least on I395. The regular lanes during peak commuting time never reach the speed limit for more than a few minutes, while the express lanes rarely travel under the speed limit. The express lanes have excess capacity in relationship to the regular lanes.

The congestion in DC is unreasonably high given its population density compared with other metropolitan regions.
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2006 at 8:40am
NoSUV, according to 2005 census figures, Washington DC is the #1 most dense city population wise in the United States.
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2006 at 8:48am
By the way, how can slugs be cheating mass transit if mass transit is already being close to 100% utilized? You would have a point if there were hundreds of buses running the entire work day and a metro/train service that made stops all the way from say Fredericksburg to DC every 20 minutes or so of the entire day, but that doesn't exist. And no, increasing ridership on those forms of transportation does not equal more buses/trains will operate. In fact, even when ridership increases, there other expenses go up so much more (take terrorism insurance for example), that they still have to have fare increases, let alone offer more buses/trains. In cases of trains, not alone is there a lack of funding, there's a lack of space to even store them or maintain them.

If you really think mass transit is the best option, then fight for that and set an example by using it! You attack others when they offer solutions that work towards the solving the problem but cannot outright solve it, but you do the exact same with hybrids which use fossil fuel and pollute more on the highway than an SUV carrying 3 people.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2006 at 2:06pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]

The regular lanes remain more congested than the express lanes, at least on I395. The regular lanes during peak commuting time never reach the speed limit for more than a few minutes, while the express lanes rarely travel under the speed limit. The express lanes have excess capacity in relationship to the regular lanes.

Sane people call this an incentive to carpool, not to go SOV for ANY length of the HOV lanes.

The insane would suggest opening HOV up to more SOVs and would promote eliminating the excess capacity so the incentive is removed.

Trolls appear insane to many/most sane people.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 17>
  Share Topic