Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSOV countdown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 17>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 11:33am
By the way, if you hate people usurping mass transit, why not set an example and use it yourself? Afterall, actions speak louder than words. If you really truely care about the environment, you know that mass transit will use less fuel and cause less pollution than any hybrid SOV. You argue that driving the SOV Hybrid is a step in the right direction for the environment, but chastise slugs who help vehicles move more people with greater pmpgs than your car. You keep contradicting your motives and intentions.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 11:55am
quote:
Originally posted by darkprime
[br]How can these people be usurping mass transit if the mass transit doesn't exist? Sure there are buses (and rail), but the trains are filled and from what little I have taken the bus before, those are filled too (at least for part of the trip). Until there are buses that run say every 10 minutes from Quantico (or Fredericksburg) to DC, Rossyln, and the Pentagon, stop saying slugs are to blame. If the mass transit existed, then yes, the congestion wouldn't be as bad as it is. Our governments have never made mass transit any sort of real priority. Why not focus your energies on expanding mass transit rather than continueing SOV Hybrid exemptions?

dark = I have focused my energies on both since they are somewhat linked. I have written to my state senator, delegate, Federal Representative, and the Washington Post. Our governments in othere areas have made mass transit a priority, from the new systems in Los Angeles to older ones in NYC, San Fran, and Chicago (note that those areas with older systems have a greater population and less transportation congestion).

Buses and rail don't exist where there is no demand. Since no slug is willing to pay for a ride, there is little hope for mass transit to work until slugs are forced to pay. That is the primary reason the state must put in toll roads - so slugs must pay and eventually fix this broken system.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 11:58am
quote:
[br]By the way, if you hate people usurping mass transit, why not set an example and use it yourself? Afterall, actions speak louder than words. If you really truely care about the environment, you know that mass transit will use less fuel and cause less pollution than any hybrid SOV. You argue that driving the SOV Hybrid is a step in the right direction for the environment, but chastise slugs who help vehicles move more people with greater pmpgs than your car. You keep contradicting your motives and intentions.

dark - as you have seen from my other posts, my vehicle gets better pmpgs than ANY vehicle driven by a slug - and it's comparable to those used by drivers of slugs. Do you leave for the commuting lot with 3 people in your vehicle? Return home with those same 2 riders? NONE of those miles if SOV are better than a SULEV. None.
bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 12:36pm
I don't get it NoSUV. You are all for global warming and mass transit, yet you still feel that Hybrid SOV's in carpool lanes should be allowed. And what exactly are HOT lanes going to fix? More money....to fix this broken transportation system? HaHaHa...all you are accomplishing with this is giving ANYONE the opportunity to drive into the city at will. After all, what is a few more bucks a week to drive in as a SOV. Not to mention lining the pockets of the contractors building the highway. Yeah that is going to fix a lot. I can see your blinders are working overtime. You are not posting any logical suggestions as to how to compromise the situation between HOV and SOV. Lets fix the system, not contibute to the problem.
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 12:48pm
Stop saying that no slug will pay for a ride. Remember that this site has both riders and drivers. I myself have paid and taken mass transit when I could and when it made sense to.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 12:50pm
bnvus - the solution is in 2 parts:
- to get the people from slug lines into mass transit. HOV-40 vs HOV-3
- to get consumers to choose a SULEV over a conventional vehicle when making an automobile purshase.

Do you know anyone who has a 2001 vehicle or newer and it's not a SULEV? If so, ask them why they didn't get a SULEV. If the answer is unproven technology, that answer has been proven to be bunk. If the answer is that a SULEV is more expensive that a conventional vehicle, ask what it would take other than for the cost to be equivalent for them to have considered a SULEV.

I'm against raising taxes (which is the effect of a subsidy) for people to purchase environmentally sound choices, yet some incentive other than contribution to global warming must be pursued - otherwise, every vehicle sold this year would have been a SULEV. Too many people are short sighted and want to know what's in it for them today (note the national saving rate) instead of looking at what they are doing to the environment. After all, who really cares that the polar ice caps are receeding, that the foliage is changing to that usually closer to the equator, or that weather patterns are changing. Nope, all that is important is getting a better bargain on a gas guzzling higher polluting vehicle, and blaming the problem on someone else.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 12:52pm
quote:
[br]Stop saying that no slug will pay for a ride. Remember that this site has both riders and drivers. I myself have paid and taken mass transit when I could and when it made sense to.

Are you saying that drivers are slugs when they are driving? that's a new one! When was the last time you heard of a slug paying a driver for a ride?
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 3:32pm
I purchased a 2001 vehicle in late 2002 - just before I graduated college. No way was I going to be able to come up with the funds for a new (or even used at the time) hybrid. In this case, the cost difference was astronomical. Not everyone is as wealthy as you are NoSUV.

Anyways, back on topic, another month down before hopefully SOV-Hybrids get out of HOV or become HOV-Hybrids.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 4:07pm
There will be toll roads before the grandfathered hybrid exemption ends. Don't take my word for it - ask your delegate!
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 11:28pm
That's right. Enjoy your drives on I-66 come July.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 17>
  Share Topic