Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSOV countdown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2006 at 1:24pm
What we call the Loop = train tracks. No cars ever use it, but the Aldermen are thinking about allowing sov hybrids on it. Da Bearse.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2006 at 4:17pm
quote:
Originally posted by Luddite
[br]What we call the Loop = train tracks. No cars ever use it, but the Aldermen are thinking about allowing sov hybrids on it. Da Bearse.

So, back to the point.

From before (for those who missed it):

How do you suppose metropolitan areas with a greater population density but better traffic manage to make it? Do you think that the reason they don't have a traffic problem is because the workforce doesn't exist there? Or do you suppose that those who choose to live further away are wealthy enough to pay to commute - either with private autos or public transportation.

and

Sounds like you are saying "I'm unique, just like everyone else." Where would you like to draw your comparison? Chicago? 2000 population 2,896K compared to DC of 572K. Has a big lake restricting commuting from east. I55 from the west, I90/94 from the south, and I90 and I94 from the North. Has an interior beltway. Nowhere near the congestion.

DC has metro; Chicago has El. DC has carpool lanes and slug system; Chicago doesn't. DC has worse congestion. Hmmm.

Based on your posting, you agree with me.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2006 at 9:39am
We're all getting a good pre-Christmas taste of NoSUV's logic pudding and selective use of numbers, such as saying that the DC population is only 572,000, as if none of the drivers in Va. and Md. count, nor the millions of N-S bound I95 vehicles. Selective stats on sale here!

And remember, everyone: slugging CAUSES our traffic woes. Parking your car in a commuter lot and filling an empty seat INCREASES overall pollution because you are not dis-incented from driving your SUV, but buying a hybrid and driving alone results in cleaner air. Welcome to the World of NoSUV Logic.

The Loop is a commuter beltway, too. Right.

And people don't cause environmental problems, the environment does.

Damn baby seals! They keep getting in the way of my club!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2006 at 1:52pm
Sponge,
Getting the stats you request is a bit of a challenge. This is the closest I've gotten so far to compare apples to apples - understanding, of course, your assertation that we are unique, just like everyone else.

http://www.census.gov/prod/2000pubs/p25-1133.pdf

This provides on Table 2 a comparison of Metropolitan Areas. Chicago-Gary-Kenosha at 8.8 million folks and Washington-Baltimore at 7.3 million.

More people, less congestion. Did I mention that there's a big ol' lake in their region that makes it hard to commute through? And as Luddite has helped me to establish, there is no beltway to reduce traffic there, as we have here.

Don't like the figures because they are inconvenient? What a surprise!
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2006 at 2:36pm
I don't have anything off hand to support this, but the population in the DC region has exploded since 1998 and I thought Chicago has had very minor population increases. Today I wouldn't be surprised if the DC region is more densely populated than chicago. Do you happen to know the average distance someone travels to get to work to chicago versus that for the dc region?
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2006 at 2:55pm
dark - as sponge likes to say, it's hard to make a comparison. Just like we have some folks who drive from Richmond, Chicago has people from Milwaukee and Gary coming in. Others, like here, walk to work. Also, we have a beltway, so people going from Richmond to Baltimore don't have to go though DC; no such luck if you are going from Milwaukee to Gary.

I have a hunch that you might be correct on the population growth, but the swing would have to be > 1.5 million. I'm pretty sure that NOVA hasn't increased by that much, but I don't know about the Washington-Baltimore metro area -- but I doubt it's by enough to make a huge difference in the stats.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2006 at 2:58pm
Even given equal number and potentially limited roads due to the lake (the reality may prove otherwise), we can easily see that for the N/S commute for NoVA there are essentially only 2 routes (I-95 plus variants and Route 1).

One would think a more equalizing approach to compare the two areas would be to normalize the comparisons and then perform the analysis.

Houston has an amazing traffic problem, but for no more the an hour or so a day in each direction. They have options.

This region has developed options (HOV being a primary one) that alleviate some of the problems. It just amazes me that any sane person would consider undoing, to any extent, A contributory solution that WORKS.

If one doesn't have an agenda in developing and expressing one's assertions, one quickly comes to a well-measured response and input in this dialogue. If one has an agenda, all data will be skewed in order to support the desired agenda.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2006 at 3:52pm
NoSB - if it works so well, why do we have the 3rd worst congestion in the nation? As I said earlier, we need to know what others are doing that makes it so much better for them. One common denominator might be that they require HOV-40; our HOV-3 is puny in comparison. Also, you forgot I-66 as an artery.

Shall we also compare pollution stats? Global warming isn't a fad, you know.
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2006 at 5:17pm
I'm all for HOV-40 - except hybrids must still go solo. Good thing our General Ass-embly is looking out for...solo drivers. Yeah, that's efficiency.
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2006 at 8:04am
I-66 is an artery and is already used by many of those driving from the west into DC, but it cannot help anyone who lives say south of Springfield.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
  Share Topic