Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSOV countdown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 17>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2006 at 2:48pm
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]I think they need to charge twice the tax on hybrid gasoline. Otherwise, the hybrid drivers can't be paying their fair share of the road upkeep.

Actually, Perhaps a more enlightened solution is to change the tax to $10/gal. Would surely stop the congestion problem - and then, perhaps, slugs would no longer ride for free. Do you think more people would be inclined to get a hybrid?

What gets me is how slugs like MDC feel that they shouldn't pay their fair (fare?) share - that they have an "entitlement" to not providing for maintenance and upkeep. But, oh my goodness, propose a TOLL on vehicles or try to better the environment by offering incentives to SULEV, and they go nuts.

Buy a hybrid, MDC. Stop making the world a worse place. Those who believe in Jesus at this time of year also have Scripture telling them to be stewards of the Earth. Do your part with a SULEV purchase. Keep slugging, but all of those miles YOU PERSONALLY drive in an non-SULEV are worse for the earth than hybrids.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2006 at 6:27pm
NoSUV, I still don't see you coughing up the extra money for those of us to buy Hybrids. If a Hybrid vs a non-Hybrid were the same price, then fine, you can gripe. But until then, please go away.
bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2006 at 2:29pm
Tolls are not on the Interstates in PA. They are on the turnpike. Clearly you can distinguish between the 2 when you ride on them as to where the money is being spent. You are still arguing a stupid point. We all pay (gas) taxes to commute in the state. Some pay more, others pay less. I would think hybrids pay less since they get better gas mileage. So does that make you a hypocrite? You are not contributing as much as the corvette owner driving beside you. He has to run premium.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2006 at 3:54pm
NoSUV,
I'll pay $10 tax per gallon as long as hybrids are assessed $20 per gallon to be fair.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2006 at 7:46am
quote:
Originally posted by scottt
[br]NoSUV, I still don't see you coughing up the extra money for those of us to buy Hybrids. If a Hybrid vs a non-Hybrid were the same price, then fine, you can gripe. But until then, please go away.

Indeed, you represent some of the worst qualities of the human race. You make far more than is necessary to have that "extra" money, but you have made personal choices with how you want to spend that money. Everytime you are faced with choosing between instant gratification and altruistic benefits, you put your funds into the "me first" category and then whine that you have insufficient money for anything else.

I've posed the question and gotten the predictable response - if the ONLY vehicles permitted in the express lanes were mass transit and SULEV, would you then have the "extra" money to buy a hybrid?
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 8:01am
NoSUV just doesn't understand the benefits of slugging. He completely fails to see that the drivers benefit from having riders so that they can ride in the HOV lanes too.

What's the difference between a driver picking up two slugs versus one who takes a child, spouse, or neighbor into their work place in the morning or afternoon? Imagine that, to go to work you have to pay your mommy or daddy to ride in the car with them.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 8:25am
dark - there is a HUGE difference between a carpooler (including family members) and a slug. In a carpool, everyone contributes to the price of the commute. With kids, just like food and shelter, transportation costs are borne by the parent. Both the federal and state governments recognize this and provide a tax subsidy to the parent. Care to explain to me how this relates to slugs?
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 9:47am
So the government subsidizes family members to ride together but not slugs? You're gripping at thin hairs here. The point is that slugs = riders and family members = riders. And no, not all carpools have equal contributions to the price of the commute. Some people are kind and do a favor by taking passengers. For some with long commutes, they simply want the company. In other cases, only the driver pays, in others, people chip in enough to cover gas, and in others, all equally share.

Do you really have a problem with drivers that do not want to charge people for rides? It sure sounds like you do.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 11:21am
dark - I have a problem with the usurping of mass transit. Take your slug line, for example. How many people go from that location to the Pentagon in a 30 min period? Enough to fill a bus?

The best way to ease congestion is for HOV-40; and the best way to ease pollution and slow global warming is to use SULEV. The current system has negative incentives for both.
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2007 at 11:30am
How can these people be usurping mass transit if the mass transit doesn't exist? Sure there are buses (and rail), but the trains are filled and from what little I have taken the bus before, those are filled too (at least for part of the trip). Until there are buses that run say every 10 minutes from Quantico (or Fredericksburg) to DC, Rossyln, and the Pentagon, stop saying slugs are to blame. If the mass transit existed, then yes, the congestion wouldn't be as bad as it is. Our governments have never made mass transit any sort of real priority. Why not focus your energies on expanding mass transit rather than continueing SOV Hybrid exemptions?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 17>
  Share Topic