Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrid Cost Differential

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2006 at 8:43am
So you're willing to guarantee that every hybrid's battery will not end up where it's not supposed to?

There are recycling programs for aluminum, steel, plastic, paper, and batteries now. What percentage of each makes it to the recycling bin?
Sure there's a $200 bounty on hybrid batteries from hybrid car makers, and they seem to have a reasonable recycling program, but that's no guarantee that everyone will follow the plan.

This is a pointless discussion since you won't concede anything, but I'm sure you're willing to continue...
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 5:46pm
MDC - how about you guarantee that drivers will always stop at red lights? It's just as silly.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 3:18pm
You're the one that said there is no battery issue. I'm making no such representations.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2006 at 3:49pm
MDC, thanks for taking up the torch, but you can't argue with a sick mind. And NoSUV is definitely sick. Many, many well-founded, intelligent and logical arguments in this forum have been made in opposition to NoSUV's crazy rants, without concession. But there is a cause to this rebellion.

You see, NoSUV (and many other, much smarter people) has invested their hard earned money and committed a lifestyle to this "new" hybrid technology. NoSUV fell for the marketing hype and now must defend that emotional/psudo-ecological purchase decision against reason and logic. NoSUV does not want to hear reason, nor fact, nor dissenting opinion that injects doubt into the wall of denial NoSUV has built up. And can you blame him?

NoSUV does not want to hear that hybrid manufacturers have mis-lead consumers to believe that hybrids are positive steps in addressing our nations fossil fuel/ecological/economical problems. NoSUV will not admit to the very complacency and egocentricity NoSUV has exhibited in this forum that prevents hybrids buyers from participating in finding real solutions. In fact: HYBRIDS BURN FOSSIL FUEL, and they use other toxic elements in their batteries. While NoSUV and all the other hybrid buyers are lead to believe that they are acting green, in fact, in the best case is they are doing nothing positive. The worst case is they are adding to a toxic eco-time bomb and delaying action toward real solutions while they fill the auto-manufacturer's coffers.

But NoSUV does not want to hear that hybrid drivers are mis-lead into thinking that the hybrid premium is an investment into eco-solutions, when instead it goes straight into the pockets of hybrid manufacturer shareholders and diverts money from REAL solutions. NOSUV will not admit to paying so much on a falicy.

NoSUV touts battery recliamation programs advertised on the Toyota website as fact, but instead denies the REAL fact that hybrids present a future with ecological unknowns, such as, who will actually be responsible for battery reclaimation? The sheer mass of the battery in each car - several hundred pounds each - presents unique problems that we have never had before. Sure the manufacturer's websites claim a high % of the elements are recyclable, but they want to sell cars, and Toyota will likely farm out the reclaimation to a third party. So who will be responsible in a few years when they start dying? Not NoSUV, but instead, it will be our children and grandchildren.

I don't blame you NoSUV. How can you back down now? You have committed too much into hybrids. The own you now! But we won't be fooled. We have looked at the man behind the curtain! We know its all the same old car, repackaged to look like a solution.

I'm doing what I can now by carpooling and reducing unecessary driving. I'm holding out for a REAL solution! Fossil fuel is not it. And, by the way NoSUV you don't know what it is either.
Hooch View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2006 at 5:24pm
NoSUV bought his hybrid to get in to HOV, plain and simple. I'll bet $5 his "other car" is an 8 cyclinder gas guzzler that he uses for his "non-commmuting". He likely throws all of his paper, aluminum and plastic in the trash can too. Probably doesn't doesn't check for CFC's in his cleaning supplies either. He's just on a soap box using the "tree hugger" excuse to defend the fact that he pissed away 10K on an ugly car that does very little, if anything, to help the environment since it contributes to the idling of "fossil" cars that can't maintain speed on the HOV due to the increase in SOV hybrids clogging the lanes. His rhetoric makes me gag, to the point of finally posting about him after reading his garbage for over a year....

Hooch
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2006 at 1:07pm
raymond - Have you checked out the Clinton Climate Initiative? Wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that either you haven't, or if you have, you just stick your fingers in your ears and sing la, la, la so you don't have to listen to facts.

As I recall, it was the articles YOU found and posted links to that refuted your battery claim. Just how ignorant can you really be?
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2006 at 11:08am
At least I did my own research! All I found was a Toyota website article and an old blog post from an Austrailian auto reviewer; nothing conclusive, nothing denoting a definitive, long-term solution for hybrid battery reclaimation. And certainly nothing reassuring enough for me to stake my future on hybirds. However, you have made the leap NoSUV, but you are on a sinking ship! You have sunk thousands into this technology and you have put your faith in auto manufacturers to solve the battery waste problems in the future. That is a big leap of faith.

I don't blame you for defending your choices. But don't be surprised if few others are so easily swayed. Here's a news flash: You hybrid burns fossil fuel! Its time for you to bail out; sell your hybrid, buy a flex-fuel vehicle!
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2006 at 10:19am
raymond,
Don't be silly. Flex fuel vehicles don't qualify for CF plates.
Shyaruck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyaruck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2007 at 1:50pm
Hi all!
I'm writer from Ukraine, writing book about Madonna's life. What do you know about Madonna? Please, tell me.
Thanks!
WBR, Svetlana Shmidt
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2007 at 3:49pm
Does she drive a hybrid?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic