Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Off Topic: PLEASE VOTE NOVEMBER 7th

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off Topic: PLEASE VOTE NOVEMBER 7th
    Posted: 09 Nov 2006 at 8:38am
And WEBB WINS IT IN VA!! Woo Hoo...the Dem's are back in power...

I distinctly remember someone calling them the "defeatocrats"...lol...

It's Thursday Friday people!! Have a great long weekend!

Slug'n till 2010
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2006 at 5:48am
And the results are interesting. [:I]
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2006 at 4:57pm
Cory Stewart won the chairman seat!!! Since he is a slug, let's see if he can do something about HOT and support the slug system. I know that HOT is not under his purview, but maybe he can influence the higher ups at VDOT.

Goober
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2006 at 9:57am
Hope you all did your part yesterday- I know I got my sticker!! Now its just a wait to see who wins it in VA and Montana...any word yet??

Slug'n till 2010
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2006 at 12:36pm
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]NoSb, I never said that I have disdain for our system of government. I recognize all its merits and flaws, and there are many of each. While far from perfect, I agree that it is the best form of government on Earth! However, I also recognize my right, and my obligation to take a critical view. This is not defeatist, it is a demonstration of ownership and pride in our imperfect system, as opposed to apathy. If I didn't care, I wouldn't complain so much! I also believe our government is imperfect by design, a system that is constantly in a state of evolution, constantly analyzed, criticised, and revised to adapt to the needs of the populace.

So when you ask, "where will I go?" Nowhere, I'll not abandon a system that is better for all the criticism I can heap on it! Its my duty as a citizen to be critical of the government!

Be critical, be heard, seek change, VOTE!

Good response, fwiw.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2006 at 11:51am
Like all good social constructs, a government is a balancing act: how do you accommodate the need to change occasionally with a damping down of fad-ism and short-term thinking?

But if you look at the Founders, they were trying to set up an agrarian state, not a business state. Land ownership, not wealth or credit, was the measuring stick for social position.

They were also living in a different social milieu. People were not independent -- they were links in a chain of allegiances, all the way from the indentured servant up to the King. As prominent landowners and businessmen (Lords, as it were,) Washington and Jefferson & Co. were near the top of a patronage system. When they acted, they did so on behalf of, as Washington called them, "my people", by which he meant the slaves and freeholders on his properties, his wife and dependents, and those in his "entourage".

When a landowner voted, it was like the British House of Lords voting. Not surprising that they limited the franchise, just as the Romans did in the beginning of their empire, and the British did at that time.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2006 at 11:22am
NoSb, I never said that I have disdain for our system of government. I recognize all its merits and flaws, and there are many of each. While far from perfect, I agree that it is the best form of government on Earth! However, I also recognize my right, and my obligation to take a critical view. This is not defeatist, it is a demonstration of ownership and pride in our imperfect system, as opposed to apathy. If I didn't care, I wouldn't complain so much! I also believe our government is imperfect by design, a system that is constantly in a state of evolution, constantly analyzed, criticised, and revised to adapt to the needs of the populace.

So when you ask, "where will I go?" Nowhere, I'll not abandon a system that is better for all the criticism I can heap on it! Its my duty as a citizen to be critical of the government!

Be critical, be heard, seek change, VOTE!
colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2006 at 10:50am
VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE...yes I am copying GTMP but that should be the message for us all.
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2006 at 10:35am
VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE....yes, I am a broken record.

Ah, one more day, and the end of malicious ad campaigns comes to and end!! Suh-weet relief!

Slug'n till 2010
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2006 at 2:12pm
Another link to help you find out where you go to vote:

http://www.sbe.virginia.gov/cms/Voter_Information/Where_Do_I_Vote/Polling_Place_Lookup_request.asp

VOTE VOTE VOTE-DO YOUR PART

GET OUT THERE AND VOTE!!!

Slug'n till 2010
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic