Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zipping (Merging Phenom)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sticky Bandaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zipping (Merging Phenom)
    Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 11:31am
I can't decide if zipping is a good thing or not. Does it contribute to better flow of traffic, less of a backup, or does it increase blood pressure, cause accidents, etc.?
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 12:18pm
??

GMHP was hea!
phreakingeek View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phreakingeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 12:40pm
It's a good thing, but only if the original file benefits from compression. Some files are no smaller after being zipped.

all joking aside...not sure what you mean by zipping in relation to driving in traffic...care to elaborate for the more ignorant masses?
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 12:48pm
[:p] and if you don't zip it up, it might fall out! [:p]

Same question as 'geek and 'pweeze - what in the world are you talking about?
Sticky Bandaid View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sticky Bandaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 1:08pm
zipping = merging at the exit instead of everybody lining up in the exit lane.

zipping = one coming off interstate, another going on the interstate.

Y'all must be from the south whar such a thang's never bin heard of. [:D]
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 1:20pm
Any one element moving in a system that is only concerned about its own progress sends ripples throughout the system which magnify at the far ends of introduction. Consider the slinky. Most know what I mean when you observe a slinky in action.

Now, hows that apply to traffic. One doesn't have to look far. Consider the post-merge environment on I-95 south of mile marker 152 in the afternoon. There can be no incidents at all down to mile marker 130 and you'll have at least 4 slinkies in operation during that stretch of road. Slowdowns for no apparent reason. My hypothesis is that tailgating is a major cause of those slinkies. If folks followed at a reasonable distance and speed throughout the system, the slinkies would be reduced if not eliminated resulting in an overall decrease to everyone's travel time. It's a hypothesis only, but one has to admit it has some measure of merit.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 1:31pm

Y'all must be from the south whar such a thang's never bin heard of. [:D]

I'ma Yankee..I drive my cah on the pahkway. And I don' stop or slow down ta look at flat tires, or cah accidents!!

Zipping doesn't seem like it would make a difference, anyone who rides HOV to the end would know that.
Moody Girl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by sluDgE
[br][:p] and if you don't zip it up, it might fall out! [:p]

Hee Hee [:I] Thanks for the giggle.
Elemental View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elemental Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 2:06pm
One good thing about California - they know how to do the zipper when merging - and it really helped the flow of traffic. Of course, the on-ramps had alternating lights for the different lanes of traffic to create the zipper, but even without lights, most drivers still zipped and it worked really well. Other than the weather, that might be the only positive I have to say about CA, but that's a different story.
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 2:09pm
Ah...LI,NY has the the stop-go lights leading onto the HWY also, now that I think of it, they did help a bit.

GMHP was hea!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic