Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV Lanes Closed Friday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2006 at 7:50am
Well I just got into work, took me over an hour. I was watching the HOV lanes from about 6:25 to 7:35 and the only vehicles in them where trucks putting down orange cones and 1 cop heading southbound along 395 HOV. So they had to close HOV for the buses that up until now still haven't used the road. Why couldn't they just close HOV from say 9 to 4? To be fair, traffic moved ok from about mile marker 162.5 on 95 all the way to the Pentagon, but it crawled (like usual) from 156 to 162.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2006 at 8:18am
Yep, traffic was real bad and there were no buses running, just cops at the gap points to prevent entrance. Let's keep an eye on the traffic cams today and see how it develops. I predict it will get progressively worse and turn into a disaster by 3 or 4. Hope I am wrong.

Are they going to make the HOV two way? I dont think that is possible.
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2006 at 10:00am
I assume they will do it 2 ways, if only buses are running. From what I could see in the pentagon parking lot, there were maybe 10 buses.
lcartwright88 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcartwright88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2006 at 10:49am
I am already dreading getting home today. Do you think there will be any drivers picking up slugs near 14th and G today (around 3:30 or 4:00)? I might need to take a bus and there is no VRE. I have to get back to 610 in Stafford. Any suggestions?

Elemental View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elemental Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2006 at 10:51am
Go look at the traffic cams, you can see the buses zooming down the HOV - I don't think they've gotten to the merge yet... But they do have two-way traffic on the HOV.
Elemental View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elemental Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2006 at 11:00am
Now the buses are stacking up at the merge, wonder how they are going to make that work...
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2006 at 11:20am
what "merge" are you talking about? Where the buses join the main lines? Quantico or Pentagon? Which traffic cam site are you using?
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2006 at 11:53am

Still almost no traffic in HOVs. I saw a group of about 12 buses in a convoy earlier

wtop camera site

http://www.wtop.com/?sid=604381&nid=370
Oosik View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2006 at 3:11pm
I drove up around 2 p.m. and southbound 395 was PACKED and there was no one at all moving on HOV (except for some guys who looked to be blocking some of the openings along the railings).

What amazes me about HOV is that DOT really doesn't seem to anticipate traffic issues during weekends. For example, it doesn't matter if there is a football game, a marathon or whatever with the bulk of drivers going into the city -- the HOV will be set for only southbound in the morning. I would think that DOT could better evaluate major events on the non-regular HOV usage times and adjust accordingly. In this instance, even if there was a need to transport a number of busses, given the hours of the event they probably would not have had to restrict anyone at all and still been able to fly down south with no problem.
EricWeissWashPost View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricWeissWashPost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2006 at 6:15pm
Did the closure of the HOV lanes today make anyone's commute miserable?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic