Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV Lanes Closed Friday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2006 at 6:21pm
Eric, turn on the news or check the traffic cameras. Are you serious? They closed HOV on a Friday so a hundred or so busses could go unimpeded to Quantico and back? I saw Marine one fly in to Quantico, so I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with the President using 95 HOV lanes. Public roads closed for a private dedication. C'mon, you guys should be all over this.

Hooch
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2006 at 6:29pm
Just goes to show us what a strong impact the good old US Marine Corps has. They got the HOV closed for their ceremony, but the Secret Service didn't get the lanes closed a while back for a Presidential motorcade. [;)]

Marines, the proud, the few -- or whatever their ad says.
Happy birthday, Marines![^]
EricWeissWashPost View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricWeissWashPost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2006 at 6:32pm
We are working on a story, but I'm trying to find some folks who were caught in the mess...Anyone? 202/334-4521
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2006 at 7:01pm
The only traffic I saw on the HOV was a convoy of about 15 buses arouned 10:30 am. The rest of the day ---- nothing! Over two hours to get home.

darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2006 at 9:14am
I had a terrible commute home. My workplace in Ballston at 4:05, took Glebe Road to 395. I didn't cross the Occaquan River until 6:05, and I still wasn't home. I saw altogether 3 groups of busses heading northbound on my trip home, 2 groups which I didn't see until 5:55 pm. Groups consisted of about 2 cops and 5-6 busses.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2006 at 10:31am
Has anyone heard any explanation of why they did this other than just bland generalizations about security and the fact that the line of buses was long and would have backed up onto 95?

Why couldn't they have all just stayed in hotels closer to Quantico so they didnt have to worry about it?

Also, why couldnt they just close the lanes off for a short period of time in the am and pm instead of all day? I guess it would have been too much effor to move the orange cones.

go2grl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote go2grl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2006 at 10:42am
Though the commute in the morning was normal, the traffic was horrendous coming home on Friday! From S. Capitol to Springfield took me 1 hour and 20 minutes on the 395. Total time from WNY to Stafford took 2.5 hours. I'll stay home next time.
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2006 at 11:18am
I'm curious, why were the people in the busses that much more important than all the other commuters in the first place?
Late rider View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Late rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2006 at 4:35pm
We are not that important! Oups!!I forgot...They never listen to us![:(!]
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2006 at 8:09am
Good letter re: VDOT incompetence in Marine Corps fiasco:

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2006/112006/11152006/236566
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic