Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV Lanes Closed Friday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOV Lanes Closed Friday
    Posted: 07 Nov 2006 at 8:23am
We'll see how this works out. Could create afternoon problems.
Bob

HOV Lanes Closed Friday, Nov. 10 Lanes Reserved for bus convoy to National Museum of the Marine Corps Ceremony

The Virginia Department of Transportation and Virginia State Police will close the I-95/395 HOV lanes from the 14th Street Bridge to Route 234 in Dumfries from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 10. The HOV lanes will be reserved for several hundred buses transporting guests from both the Stafford Regional Airport and Pentagon to the dedication event for the National Museum of the Marine Corps, located at Route 1 and Joplin Road in Prince William County.

http://virginiadot.org/news/newsrelease.asp?ID=NOVA-NR06-44

Message signs along I-95/395 and Route 1 will inform motorists that the HOV lanes will be closed on Veteran’s Day. Normally the HOV lanes would be open to all traffic on Friday because it is a federal holiday.

# #

CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2006 at 9:17am
Hmmm that doesn't make sense. The stafford regional airport isn't near the HOV. A few hundred buses versus inconveniencing thousands of motorists? This sounds like a presidential HOV closure to me...
merlin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2006 at 9:30am
Agreed- how does this make any sense?

Merlin
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2006 at 10:10am
But what's the real impact here?
Not that many commuters will be going to work on Friday because Friday is the federal holiday to observe Veterans' Day.
The gov't and contractor people I work with all have Friday as a holiday.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2006 at 10:15am
Thousands of people work on Friday.

And tens of thousands will be on the highway Friday pm, including a whole bunch of shoppers, workers, and long distance cars. This could blow up in VDOTs face.
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2006 at 10:35am
Ouch. Well that means I'll be driving in to work (Ballston from Woodbridge) friday. If there are going to be slugs who want to ride on the regular lanes, I can pick some up.
slugdriverandslugrider View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugdriverandslugrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2006 at 10:53am
I agree that it makes no sense, but not necessarily for the reason pondered.

The Secret Service, who are really the ones who request the HOV closures for the President, have already shown an interest in not disrupting traffic during hours that would inconvenience large numbers of commuters - so I think that postulation is out.

The real problem is that VDOT is closing the HOV for 12 hours!!! Now... we've all sat in some pretty bad traffic but the last nightmare commute I had did not even take a quarter of that duration(pretty close though).

The Marine Corps Birthday Ceremony will be in Arlington, VA at 10:00 AM. So the few buses coming up from Stafford on the 10th would have no problem sharing the HOV. (Most personnel would arrive on the 9th and be squared away already.)

The dedication ceremony in Quantico, VA will be at 1:00 PM - with the next event being the Birthday Ball in Falls Church, VA at 6:30 PM.

If dedication and viewing were from 1:00 - 4:00 PM there would be plenty of time to traverse, with minimal abatement, from Quantico to Falls Church in 2.5 hrs.

If the dedication and various other ceremonies surrounding the Corps events necessitated the action of closing the HOV lanes for a full week I would be a strong advocate of said action.

That being said... it's not necessary in this case.

This simply wasn't thought out very well. VDOT took the easy road not the socially conscious road.

SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2006 at 10:53am
I don't have a problem with VDOT doing this. But they are setting themselves up for a massive backup at the 234 exit. I'll be staying away from there.

Just imagine this happening when these lanes are owned by Fluor/Transurban... that is, once permission to do it is transmitted from Australia.

Instead of simply putting out an announcement and changing the signs and gates, the taxpayers of Virginia will have to PAY Transurban to cover its lost income!

To use OUR ROAD!
go2grl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote go2grl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2006 at 3:20pm
I know it's a Federal holiday, but there will still be a ton of people on the road traveling, shopping, or like me, heading to work. I live off the 610 and I don't want to sit in traffic for 2-3 hours in the morning just to come to work and have to turn around and do it again in the afternoon. Realistically, could the delays during the morning and evening traffic be that bad?
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2006 at 3:50pm
Last time I drove into work on a holiday (might have been columbus day), traffic moved great, but then again HOV was open. Please oh please let people just stay home during rush hour tomorrow. I was going to try the bus from woodbridge to ballston tomorrow, but with their holiday schedule I wouldn't make it home, so driving is the only way for me this time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic