Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thinking of moving to fredericksburg...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsvrxxiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thinking of moving to fredericksburg...
    Posted: 09 Nov 2006 at 11:40am
Hi,

Me and my soon to be wife are sueriously considering moving to downtown fredericksburg. I work in the district around 14th&penn/NY. I would probably get to work around eight and head out around five. Can anyone tell me the usual time the trip takes for morning and evenings/how the lines are/best spots to go to? I beleive I would be about equidistant from the Route 3/Route 17.

Cheers!

Jake
JK 14 n G View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JK 14 n G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2006 at 1:44pm
Jake, if you move downtown, it wouldn't make sense for you to use the Rt. 3 lot, as it is several miles south and west of where you are. Your best bet is going to the Rt. 17 lot. I usually arrive at Rt. 17 at 7:45 am and arrive at my office at 9 a.m., so I can't speak to the schedule you'd be following. At that time of the morning I occassionally get a ride directly to 14th Street, but more often end up going to the pentagon, rosslyn or l'efant and take the metro the rest of the way. On my way home, I go to the pentagon and get in line around 5pm.... the ride home varies, but I usually am home between 6:30 and 7 pm. Other good options include using the rt. 610 lot, as I believe there are more drivers going downtown, and more downtown pm lines going back so you can be spared the pentagon. the only trouble with 610 is that parking gets scarce, and you risk ticketing and towing. Hope this helps, good luck with your move.

Let's fill up the Rt. 17 lot and ease up on Mine Rd.!!
H84NRS View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H84NRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2006 at 3:12pm
Jake,

For god sakes DO NOT MOVE TO FREDERICKSBURG!!!!!!!!! Downtown Fredericksburg is a very nice place but buy a place closer like Fairfax County or even Arlington. It's not worth the time and frustration of commuting(even if it's slugging). It may cost more closer in but believe me IT'S WORHT IT!!!!!!!!!!! It's nice to commute only 15 minutes to a job like mine. I could of bought further South and saved money but in the long run it was well worth it!!!!!!!! Think of the time when you have to get up and the time when you would be getting home!!!!! I enjoy having 5 to 6 hours of home time once I get home. I don't have to use leave because of snow days(who wants to lose a day off or more because of that!!!!)

TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUY UP HERE!!!!!!!!
sable2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sable2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2006 at 2:45pm
Dude... Don't move to F'bg unless you can find a job in F'bg... Hate to say it, but I agree w/ H8. It's nice n' all for a feel-good family effect if that's what your looking for, but unless you already live further South and are used to a crappy commute, it is worth moving much further North. I live there and I hate coming home every day. If I lived in Stafford I'd hate it too. I'd probably hate it until I was past Dumfries.

Enjoy!
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2006 at 6:23pm
Look for a place to live in in Lorton, Burke, or Springfield. It's still one of the best commutes from outside the beltway. We bought in Burke 28 years ago just after we got married and have enjoyed every minute of living here. It was tough on us financially at first but got so much easier as time has gone by. I don't see how those who commute from south of Dumfrees can do it each day. To me, that would be unbearable. Bless them all.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2006 at 8:48am
Jake, I have to echo the sentiments of those who discourage long distance commuting to/from Fredricksburg. The hours wasted in transit each week are lost forever! Count them as hours spent away from your son, you couldn't pay me enough to add to those!

From Lorton/Springfield I still have a 45 min. to 1 hour slug commute each way! And while they are marginally more reliable in winter weather, Metro / VRE saves no time and costs about $200. each month. I can't imagine the VRE fare and travel time from F'Burg!

Hang tough, scale down, buy close-in. You may end up with a little less for your $$, but you'll get dividends back in valuable family time! Good luck!
OA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2006 at 9:00am
Jake,
I'd like to offer a slightly different perspective.

I bought in Stafford in spring of 2005 and have commuted daily to/from the Pentagon.

There are folks out there that will say I'm full of it, but here's my schedule: I get to the slug lot (Mine Road, 610) around 6am, get a ride by 6:15 and am at the Pentagon usually around 7am. Now, that doesn't happen everyday, but I've been slugging out of both 610 lots for over 18 months now and find it to be very reliable and the commute isn't as bad as some folks who live closer in. I've always managed to get to my lovely cubicle before 'official' duty hours begin at 7:30am.

Coming home usually takes around an hour, more on holiday weekends and Fridays.

I wouldn't head as far South as Fredricksburg...but, I've found that Stafford has plenty of good communting options (slug, VRE, buses) and the commute time isn't as bad as some would lead you to believe.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2006 at 9:31am
I agree with OA. Moved to Stafford in 02, started w/job in DC in 03. Commute from 610 to DC daily, I love it! I used to work retail in Springfield, same commute time, less pay, longer hours.

I wouldnt suggest moving as far as F'burg unless you want an even longer commute than 45-1 hour each way.

Slug'n till 2010
Scroll View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2006 at 1:21pm
In Genesis chapter 1 (the edited part), the essence of gorilla went before the Lord and said, "I want hair." Saith the Lord, "It's gonna cost you brains."

In other words, nothing's free. Moving farther up north (Springfield, etc) slashes commute time, but costs more in property costs. Moving to F'burg costs way less, but you'll sacrifice time.

Give a good look at 17/Warrenton Road. There's lots of homes there (old AND new), and tons of new shopping under construction. Old-town F'Burg is less than 10 minutes away. I live in Cardinal Forest, just 1/2 mile north of the Geico building. I'm 6.9 minutes from the 17 commuter lot. My AM slug ride is usually 45 minutes, with a 1 to 1.5 hour nap in the afternoon ride home.

I found on average that every mile up/down I-95 is worth $10,000 in the cost of homes, which is why I settled on 17/Warrenton Road.

My 2 bits...

Scroll
shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2006 at 2:18pm
For goodness sakes, don't move to Fredericksburg/Stafford/Spotsy unless you like sitting in traffic for long periods of time. I have lived in Stafford my entire life and have been commuting for 17.5 years and I dread the traffic and loss of time every day and it just gets worse each year. I highly discourage people from moving down this way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic