Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thinking of moving to fredericksburg...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thinking of moving to fredericksburg...
    Posted: 20 Nov 2006 at 9:51am
bumping this over the spam
sable2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sable2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2006 at 2:34pm
Happy's post is too long for me to quote, but I'd like to expound upon the part about the weather... Today for example its "just" raining and already VRE has promised us not-so-happy commuters at least 30-40 minute delays. [:(] Thank GOD there's a bar downstairs in my bldg. I'm gonna have at least two servings of somekind of white liquor for this trip home!! [:o)]

But hey, I'm not tryna rub my curmudgeon-ness off on anyone -- I realize we all gotta make choices here. Before I began working in Rosslyn I worked in Richmond and clearly, the commute southbound on 95 from F'burg is much less time-consuming and stressful than the northbound. In order to make way more cheese-chips-moulah-scrilla-dividends (baby), I made the choice to go North for work AND deal with the challenges of northbound commuting. So I'm dealing with it... today I'll just be dealing with it alco-pathically since I'm not driving.[}:)]

Enjoy!
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2006 at 1:26pm
Nah, too young for that. Just my sarcasm about HOT lanes ending slugging as we know it.

Sorry people, your stuck with me!!

Slug'n till 2010
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2006 at 1:17pm
GMHP,
[:p] So there's no truth to the rumor (from your "Slug'n till 2010" closing) that you're getting up in age and that they're getting ready to put you out to the NoVa retirement pasture in 2010? Some slugs were afraid that might be the case. [:p]

Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2006 at 11:59am
lol...three more years of slugging, 2010 is when Fluor project's their "HOT" lanes will open.

Slug'n till 2010
happycommuter View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happycommuter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2006 at 10:56am
quote:
Originally posted by getmehome pweeze
[br]Now see, that's what gets me- Why pay more to live in Burke, to have the SAME commute time as living in Stafford or the Burg for less,with(snicker) less congestion??

Slug'n till 2010

Hey GMHP,

The commute time may be the same but you have to consider where the person is going. DUDTE may be going in further in DC than other people so his commute may be the same as others who don't travel into DC(such as the Pentagon). You also have to consider where DUDTE gets dropped off and may have to walk a bit to his office. The bottomline is he has soooooooooo many options on how to get to work(metrobus, metrorail, VRE, carpool, slugging). Does metro have busses and rail down in Stafford, NO. So, that now just leaves 3 options. Also how late does VRE, carpools, and slugging go to? If DUDTE has to work late he can at least rely on metro since they operate late at night. Not sure about VRE's timetable but I could bet that slugging and carpooling doesn't go into the late night. I would rather have a house up here and have the tax write-off than deal with the commute. Again, what happens when bad weather hits? WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!!!! Traffic comes to a super crawl. Take a snow/ice day, who wants to lose a day of leave because of something like that. Metro runs regardless of the weather(unless it's something like a blizzard). I'm glad that I bought up here. I made sure that it was close to work and I don't have to worry about any weather problems or kid problems(heard about people being burden because of the distance factor). I STRONGLY URGE ANYONE WHO THINKS OF BUYING DOWN SOUTH TO RECONSIDER AND BUY CLOSE TO WORK.

I have nothing against you GMHP. At least you only have 3 more years of work :)

TRAFFIC IS HERE TO STAY IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT JUST SIMPLY MOVE AWAY
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2006 at 9:30am
Now see, that's what gets me- Why pay more to live in Burke, to have the SAME commute time as living in Stafford or the Burg for less,with(snicker) less congestion??

Slug'n till 2010
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2006 at 9:14am
Agree 100% with dudte! Many options in Burke.

My typical morning commute from the time I start the car in the driveway to sitting at my desk near the P'gon is about 35-40 minutes. And that includes a morning rendezvous with the car pool. Best thing is the return trip in the afternoon is the same amount of time, and is seldom affected by Friday afternoon and holiday southbound I-395/I-95 traffic.

Burke/Springfield/Lorton is not a bad commute, and I would think any commute that begins and ends north of the Dumfrees HOV merge is almost as good. Also, that $10,000 housing cost per mile that someone mentioned is a factor the potential F'burg resident probably should consider depending on the type and size of housing he and his bride-to-be want.
dudte View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2006 at 4:59pm
I live just off Fx Co Prkwy on the line between Burke and Springfield. On average the commute is 45 - 60 minutes. Rolling Valley slug to 18th Street or Foggy Bottom in the morning is easy, dependable. I can get rides anywhere from 6:00 am to after 8:00 am. In the evening the 19th & F slug line is a little less dependable - sometimes 30 - 45 minutes wait. But it works. I also have other options - 2 different Metro busses (18H, 18R) connect me to the Metro train either at Franconia/Springfield or Pentagon. Costs a bit - $3.50 - 4.00 each way but I read, nap, listen to the melodic "Doors closing"... Commute life in my particular area is diverse, easy, and cheap. I take $80 in pretax Metro checks monthly but prefer to slug. My late nights from Foggy Bottom require Metro. All other things being equally considered the Burke/Springfield area commute is very easy with lots of options. Slug lines to and from Rolling Valley, Bob's, Sydenstricker, etc. Destinations to Pentagon, Le'Enfant, 14th, 18th, 23rd, K, M, Reagan Building, Rossylin, Crystal City. What a system! OPtions, options. I've been here (DC area) for 3 years and have yet to drive into the District for work! And think of all the parking ticket revenue generation I've avoided...
Galah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2006 at 3:07pm
Don't do it!
I commute from Richmond, most days, have for 7 years.
I went for the good house, nice neighborhood, affordable mortgage, and DC wages, I even got a CITY and not just a suburb.
But I leave the house at 0500 and get back at 1900 and spend 4.5 hours on the road - and THAT was after I had discovered slugs (main lane SOV driving added 80 minutes to that commute, VRE adds 60 minutes to it, and AmTrak...HA! they have a 30% on time record)
The scary part is that it is ONLY GETTING WORSE, and there are no indications of improvements on the horizon, no new roads, no new lanes, no expansion of the HOV's no new rail lines...lotsa discussion, no movement.
Yep slugging's great for getting to work but what do you do on the weekends? See a concert/play in DC? catch a baseball/football game? even getting to the river/shore can be a struggle. Try driving from the Fredrickburg train station to southbound I-95 at 1700 ...
Live close to work, HAVE a life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic