Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wednesday Before Thanksgiving

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2006 at 3:29pm
Hmm... HC does sound a little STRIDENT, doesn't he/she? Gets a little UPSET about things and throws a TANTRUM for no reason over an innocent remark. Yes. Uses a lot of CAPITALS, because volume speaks louder than words.

In HC's first post, in April, he walks 10 mins. to the Vienna metro for a 15 min. ride to Arlington.... But a month later he was looking for a ride home from the Pentagon at 5:00 to, ahem, Centreville. Very fast walker, this HappyCommuter: 10 mins. from Centreville to the Vienna metro. And a fast rider, too, since Metro says it takes 34 minutes from Vienna to the Pentagon. And does the Federal subsidy really cover daily Metro use of at least $4.70 a day?

Here is a typical posting by HappyCommuter: "IF TRAFFIC BOTHERS YOU SOOOOOO MUCH THEN MOVE CLOSER TO YOUR JOB TO AVOID THE TRAFFIC, GET A JOB CLOSER TO WHERE YOU LIVE, OR JUST MOVE OUT OF THE AREA TO A LESS CONJESTED AREA AND GET A JOB THERE!!!!!!!!" Hic! (One concludes from this display that "happy" = "drunk", maybe.)

savannahr1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savannahr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2006 at 12:33pm
It has been my experience over the years that the day before Thanksgiving isn't all that bad. I used to stay until 5:00 at the Pentagon and then head down to Rt 234 commuter lot with maybe a 15 minute delay. Not bad at all. Seems when everybody leaves at noon is the worst times.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2006 at 8:57am
SO- How was it?? I heard south bound traffic was a mess in the AM..

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)
Galah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2006 at 12:24pm
I missed the morning commute and southbound -in the HOV lanes - was bearable, as long as you remembered to get off at Dumfires, waiting for the HOV merge would have been a tragic mistake. So I made it, with slugs, to 610 in about 75 minutes, the rest of the way to Richmond was a mess *sigh* but at least I won't have to do it for another year!!
slugjo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2006 at 6:05pm
Thanksgiving week is for deer hunting, not work.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2006 at 9:33am
Bumping this topic above the useless spam.

It was any easy drive down I-395 to the Va 644 exit at Springfield about 4:30 on Wednesday afternoon. But we noticed that I-95 looked like a parking lot south of there. Hope your commute home last Wednesday afternoon wasn't too bad.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2006 at 1:23pm
Worked Friday after turkey day. Picked up a very "socially loud" slug from 610 and got into DC no problem. Made the HOV lanes by 3, home by 3:40. Great quick day. Anyone else work Friday? The lot was pretty empty!

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)
Galah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2006 at 2:18pm
I worked last Friday also, didn't pick up on the northbound leg and couldn't find anyone to take southbound (checked both Crystal City and the Pentagon) around 4pm, but the main lines were smooth.
sable2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sable2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2006 at 5:58pm
I made the tragic mistake of getting off HOV at the end. I made the decision at the last minute because the line to get off at Dumfries looked equally as tragic. From Rosslyn to Massaponax took 3 hours. The last 25 miles was 2 hours and 20 minutes. Blah!

Enjoy!
Galah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2006 at 8:40am
...and we have no construction currently planned or underway which will do anything about traffic volume.

Recommend setting up a link to the WTOP's traffic web site, they have a link to the traffic cameras, using the last 4 on the southern stretch of 95 you can get an idea of the likely backup in the HOV lanes at the HOV merge.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic