Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Some more slug questions from your friends at IU
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some more slug questions from your friends at IU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2006 at 3:47pm
I have to admit, now I am getting suspicious.

Now it appears that several individuals are posting 1x each with "survey" questions, under the guise "to get new slugs using the system," and validating their inquiries with the fear inducing statement, "business professionals from the Washington D.C. area that we have spoken with have continually expressed a fear of riding to work with a complete stranger," and offer a solution "getting new slugs and helping them trust the system." Gosh, I didn't know we needed that kind of help!

We slugs ARE a trusting bunch, and regular slug forum participants have volunteered answers to these seemingly innocent inquiries, I know that I have. However we do not know how this information REALLY will be used, now do we!? All that we do know that any information that we post here becomes public property, to be used any way a viewer chooses.

I submit this advice to all fellow slugs and slug forum participants for consideration; If you have read any of my 200+ posts over the years, you know me, my views and opinions, you know that I am a daily slug driver and/or rider, and love me or hate me, I participate without reservation or ulterior motive, as most of you also do. But we do not know these surveyors!

DO NOT RESPOND WITH ANY MORE ANSWERS! The information we provide here may be used against us.

And to the "surveyors" come on down to the slug lines and talk to us in person, shake our hands, see our smiling faces, see how it works, and let us see your faces! We want to know who is so curious about our commute.
Galah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 10:44am
I would hope that any serious statistical study would not consider the comments of the comparatively few, albeit vocal, people that post to this site, statistically significant. I know we consider ourselves representative, but I can not believe that any serious science can be conducted in such an un-scientific manner with an incredibly small sample of folks who are obviously true believers.

Which means raymond may be right, these people are not likely to be who they claim to be, they may be reporters or worse...politicians from the western and southern portons of Virginia!!!!!!
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 12:57pm
Unfortunately, there are enemies of slugs as we all know, including those that are pro HOT, pro hybrid and just slug bashers. The net results is a suspicion on our part, as is natural. What is the solution to this for someone coming on the site wanting information about slugging? Get involved in this forum and build up some hit points and credibility first. But as for wanting information on the down side of slugging, I say, slug some yourself and you will see there is a small downside.

Final point. As far as I am concerned any newcomer to this site is suspicious until they have posted somewhat consistently over a period of time. Doesnt have to mean they have to agree with the majority of us, just that they appear sincere.
hank View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2006 at 11:49am
In regards to your comments about a small sample size not forming a valid statistical study, that only has a little validity to it. Your comments are not meant to necessarily prove a statistical study, this is more of a focus group we are conducting. Your answers can lead us in a certain direction with our research and then we conduct more research on our own. Thus far, your answers have been very helpful.

We assure you we are graduate students of Indiana University and none of the information you provide us will ever be used in a way other than our project.

From the previous responses we found some of the other issues to be lack of Parking space, introduction of hybrid cars, HOV congestion etc, however being informatics students these issues were not something we could address in our design solution. That is why we decided to address the issue of trust. Our study is not likely to have any direct or indirect impact on slugging. The only impact it could have is that people from different part of country will come to know about the beauty of this great system.

Soon we will have some concept prototypes that you will be able to provide you feedback on, if you wish. We will be posting this information within the coming week.

Also, if anyone would like more specific information on our project please email me and I will be glad to send you more information.

My contact information:

Kenton Hankins
hankinsk@indiana.edu
http://www.informatics.indiana.edu/people/profiles.asp?u=hankinsk (if you want to verify that I am a student)

To everyone who has helped us thus far, thank you.

CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2006 at 12:54am
Fortunately, my wife gave birth and I can respond to this at this late hour when I would normally be asleep preparing for my commute.

Are you really GRADUATE students? I mean really, you identify a small problem and ignore the obvious. Do infomaniacs pride themselves on small achievements? How about doing a survey on when riders most often go to particular sluglines which would help drivers know when to be there, or visa versa. Something like that might be meaningful. This varies considerably depending on how far from DC the slug park and ride happens to be. But trustworthiness means accepting someones word, and that has NO meaning in the slugging community. I don't accept the drivers promise to appear, he just does, because its convenient for him to be there at that time, and convenient, on that particular day, for me to meet him there. Tomorrow, it may be convenient for him to get there a little later, and thats cool, cause I may do the same. If you really want to make an improvement, you would study the times of "convenience". Just my opinion.

From the previous responses we found some of the other issues to be lack of Parking space, introduction of hybrid cars, HOV congestion etc, however being informatics students these issues were not something we could address in our design solution.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2006 at 9:18am
off topic- CONGRATS Mr. Slug!! Many warm wishes to you, your family, and your new addition!!

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)
dudte View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dudte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2006 at 10:57am
Hank

What is the name of your IU approved project?
If this is for a specific class then course # and professor?
Who is your faculty advisor?
What is your IRB #?

Legitimate IRB approved collegiate research is not hard to verify. give us the #'s and we can make our own calls. I would suspect your IRB approval also requires more research subject (us) consent than what you have provided so far. I'm not saying your not legit - yet - but you haven't done a very good job of informed consent and subject protection. If you are not to IRB yet you may be learning about the difficulty of inquiring of your subjects without their trust. We seem to trust drivers and riders (statistically) significantly more than we trust unknown and poorly identified researchers.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2006 at 1:07pm
oh oh, RLD is mad...he has typo's.

Hank, we appreciate your interest in slugging, but as you can see, if you are going to come to this site phishing for info, you really should provide some sort of proof of interest here. Thanks.

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2006 at 3:20pm
We slugs are so trusting we get in cars with total strangers and promptly fall asleep. But by God you better not ask too many questions on our website!

I think you may be real, but let's test this.

I go to IUPUI in Indy several times a year. Want to meet for dinner?
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2006 at 12:17am
Thanks GMHP, much appreciated. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic