FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTolls for ALL Lanes on I95?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
sable2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sable2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tolls for ALL Lanes on I95?
    Posted: 12 Dec 2006 at 4:03pm
[off, but result of topic]...which is why I want so desperately to move into the noisy stinky crowded city. At that rate, it would be way cheaper to send my SD to private school, if Fenty's NYC school system reform doesn't work. To heck with Spotsylvania, to heck with tree lined streets... its not like we aren't already living on top of each other in Lee's Park anyway.

Enjoy!
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2006 at 2:41pm
So in 2015 you will pay $15 to go 25 mph in the HOT lanes, or you pay $10 to go 10 mph in the regular (toll) lanes. And if you are HOV, you will get to split your toll 3 ways! What a deal.
Sheepish View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2006 at 12:46pm
I really have issues with this idea. While I applaud "thinking outside the box" in trying to resolve transportation issues, 1) no tax break is ever going to be garaunteed 2) are all that would pay going to benefit from any tax break proposed? 3)citizens will have the "opportunity" to scrap this ???? Sounds more like HOT going to the main lanes.... hmmmmm
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2006 at 4:01pm
The funniest part of this is the statement, "Funds generated from the tolls would be refunded to the taxpayers of the region...," which either is a set up for the punchline, "and if citizens don't like the new arrangement, they would have the opportunity to scrap the idea 18-24 months...," or questions the intelligence of readers. I can't imagine how they would ever do this, let alone the total folly of the statements! Does Fredrick think we are idiots?
Sheepish View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2006 at 8:15am
Just a guess, but did those tolls pay for the bypass going around Richmond? Then when finished/funded they were torn down?
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2006 at 7:58am
The tolls between Richmond and Peterburg were still in place in the late 80's (88 & 89) when I moved up to this area. I believe they were gone by 95/96.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2006 at 3:58pm
Sponge,

I definitely remember there were toll booths on I-95 between Petersburg and Richmond back in the late 60's and early 70s when the road was relatively new.

I'm not really sure how far south of Petersberg and north of Richmond there were toll booths back then. We drove on only that stretch of I-95 when travelling from Richmond south and then get on I-85 at Petersburg to head to Atlanta.

I'm sure there's some history filed away somewhere about the I-95 tolls in Va, but haven't taken a look yet.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2006 at 9:42am
sluDgE, was that a bypass? Or a bridge? Was the toll enacted to pay for some particular thing? It is not still in force, is it? I don't remember it, but it has been years and years since I took 95 south to NC.

(I do the OBX, baby, yeah! [8D])
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2006 at 12:34pm
And it wasn't that many years ago that we had to drop coins at toll booths to use I-95 in southern Virginia. I don't remember exactly how far north that I-95 was a toll road back then, but I recall paying tolls between the NC line and Richmond.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2006 at 10:22am
A couple of years ago right about the time everything started in earnest with the HOT lanes proposals, there was a Post article about a DC region think tank that was indeed talking about tolling all of the lanes on the beltway and presumably 95. That's about all I know. I was dumbfounded when I read it at the time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic