Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrid Congestion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2007 at 2:33pm
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]NoSUV and Al Gore, now there's a pair! I suspect its an affair of convenience though, NoSUVs convenience. It is convenient for NoSUV to cozy up to the ecological right-wingers and claim allegiance, as long as it supports NoSUVs POV. But since you don't participate in slugging, what do you care?

Of course I could do the same thing if I wanted to buy my way into psuedo-ecological good graces. But I'm considering a hybrid SUV and driving to work alone; does that still count? I guess, by NoSUVs standards it would, even though a number of traditional cars get better gas mileage. But I would have to change my screen name to YeSUV!

raymond, I know you have problems remembering things, but surely you can remember that my hybrid was purchased without the need for the HOV exemption.

If you are currently a driver, you should absolutely buy a SULEV - whether or not you pick up slugs. Hopefully, the slug system will become Overcome By Events and become a footnote in a historical file - after all, that's the only way the congestion problem will be solved while improving the environment. Slugs need to get out of private vehicles and into mass transit.
TheRev View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2007 at 8:07am
NoSUV - Please explain your position that the demise of the Slug system will fix the congestion problem since they will all be riding mass transit?
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2007 at 3:04pm
Rev, if you flip back to some of NoSUVs previous rants, er..., I mean posts, you'll see that NoSUV advocates solutions for other peoples problems, and then will not participate in the very solution NoSUV proposes. NoSUV does not participate in slugging and does not ride mass transit.

Kind of puts this conversation into perspective, dosen't it?!
TheRev View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2007 at 3:38pm
raymond - Correct, but I want to hear the "real" reasons NoSUV believes the demise of the Slug lines will cure the congestion, not what has been posted.
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2007 at 3:58pm
The "real" reason is that it will curb his personal congestion not having anything but hybrids and buses on the HOV.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2007 at 9:15am
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
MDC - FINALLY! It took you long enough. Slugging was a good idea back in the 90's, but now is the major cause of our congestion problems. ALL of those slugs should be on mass transit. Then and only then will the commute get shorter for everyone.

Hmmm, if I slug, commute time is about 50 mins. If I take mass transit, it's about 1.5 hours. And that's shorter how?

---------
Still waiting for NoSUV to put up or shut up.
whatwoodido View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whatwoodido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2007 at 2:31pm
And if you drive a hybrid you get to shave off even more time because you don't need to stop and pick up slugs, or wait in a slug line to be picked up.

Hybrids are a problem but not the problem, cheaters are a much bigger problem. Let's keep in mind only one of these two groups is breaking the law. The other is taking advantage of a exemption.

quote:
Originally posted by scottt
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
MDC - FINALLY! It took you long enough. Slugging was a good idea back in the 90's, but now is the major cause of our congestion problems. ALL of those slugs should be on mass transit. Then and only then will the commute get shorter for everyone.

Hmmm, if I slug, commute time is about 50 mins. If I take mass transit, it's about 1.5 hours. And that's shorter how?

---------
Still waiting for NoSUV to put up or shut up.

MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2007 at 8:21pm
whatwoodido,
This is 2007, not 2003. Back then, if you saw congestion in the HOV lanes, you could blame it on violators(even though there was no congestion). Now, it's almost entirely caused by excess hybrids.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2007 at 9:55am
Originally posted by whatwoodido
[br]And if you drive a hybrid you get to shave off even more time because you don't need to stop and pick up slugs, or wait in a slug line to be picked up.

Hybrids are a problem but not the problem, cheaters are a much bigger problem. Let's keep in mind only one of these two groups is breaking the law. The other is taking advantage of a exemption.

I agree that cheaters are a problem, but one that will never be entirely fixed.

Hybrids, however, are exploiting and exemption that is as wrong as any kind of discrimination on the planet! Why should anyone get preferrential treatment under the law for their economic status, or for making a purchase decision? Yes it may be legal (for now), but that does not make it right!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 2:46pm
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]
Originally posted by whatwoodido
[br]And if you drive a hybrid you get to shave off even more time because you don't need to stop and pick up slugs, or wait in a slug line to be picked up.

I agree that cheaters are a problem, but one that will never be entirely fixed.

Hybrids, however, are exploiting and exemption that is as wrong as any kind of discrimination on the planet! Why should anyone get preferrential treatment under the law for their economic status, or for making a purchase decision? Yes it may be legal (for now), but that does not make it right!

raymond, the same could be said about car pools. Why are they "priviledged" when they could be using mass transit? Now THAT'S discrimination!

When you really look at it, both hybrid exemption and car pools are DISCRIMINATORS for use of express lanes that other vehicles cannot use. You happen to think that HOV is the "better" discrimination technique - those of us interested in both providing an incentive for consumers to choose SULEV as well as far better fuel economy over conventional vehicles beg to differ. If EVERYONE had a hybrid, just think of how global warming would slow? But maybe you think that if we do it your way, it won't be long before your property is on the waterfront.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic