Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Annoying Slugs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluggie_pants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Annoying Slugs
    Posted: 04 Jan 2007 at 3:08pm
I have been slugging for many years and now I am a driver. A few of the slugs I've been stuck standing in line with all of these years, I now have to pick up. Unfortunately there are a few slugs that I just can't stand because they drive me crazy.

Is there a polite way to reject them if they are standing in the front of the line when I pull up? Or should I just pick them up and endure their annoyances? I willingly admit that I have passed by a slug line (even though there was a line of people waiting) and went and picked up at a different location when the person in the front of the line is a person who will drive me crazy if I pick them up and I just didn't feel like having to deal with them. Sometimes a driver just wants a break and to be able to have a peaceful trip. A few of these slugs make that impossible. They really can annoy you to death.

I always pick up as many slugs as possible when the line is long. Afterall, I've stood in line with these people for many years and appreciate the thoughtfulness. I keep the music down and just tell the slugs to let me know if the car temperature is uncomfortable or whatever.

So, I try my best to let the slugs know how much I appreciate them riding with me. However, the small number of slugs who are rude and obnoxious don't ruin the entire bunch.

Any suggestions?

Should I just bare it and pick up the annoying slugs and deal with it?

Or is there a way to say politely...

"Hey, I don't want you in my car. You annoy the crap out of me and I'd love to just have some peace and quiet without you either talking me to death with stupid comments, talking about every topic possible under the "don't talk about when slugging rule" (I get embarassed just listening to you), falling over on my shoulder and practically slobbering on me when you're in the front seat....and then comes your snoring. Also, my car is not a beauty polar. I know when I pick you up you'll open up your suitcase and start decorating your face. Then comes the perfume...enough to knock out most of the slug line if applied outdoors. I don't mind cell phone calls....but do you really need to talk for an hour straight....loud at that! I just need a break once in a while!"

I would just love to say when I see one of the few in line...."Next slug, please!" But then I do realize that you can't always get what you want....and that applies to slugging, too...
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2007 at 3:41pm

Oh my....I think we all (or most of us) have done at least one of the above at least once in our own personal slugging histories...

should we all stop slugging to save you the misery??

In all seriousness, you totally have the rite to pass on a slug, your car, your rules. BUT- as a slug and an overly sensitive one at that, I think it would be hard to politely pass on a slug without putting yourself out there as rude/insensitive/picky...

As a slug I have "avoided" drivers because of the way they drive, the way their car smells, their overly social/poitical/religious conversations....

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)
sluggie_pants View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluggie_pants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2007 at 3:49pm
quote:
Originally posted by getmehome pweeze

As a slug I have "avoided" drivers because of the way they drive, the way their car smells, their overly social/poitical/religious conversations....

I've also done the same thing when I slug. It is a very rare occurrence...and when you slug for a while, you get to know who you should try to avoid for the reasons you stated.

So, are you saying, as a slug, it's your right to pass drivers by (why would drivers not feel the same way you stated in your reply?)...but as a driver...you should just deal with it. Shouldn't it go both ways? What's the difference?
Galah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2007 at 4:15pm
Your car, your rules. If they talk to much, don't answer, turn the radio up (talk radio or NPR is suitably distracting, after all, you really want to hear that story on the radio). Temperture control and the vent fans for the beauty Parlor, directed at yourself, not the slug of course. Applying the brakes can take care of a leaner or a snorer, usually. I haven't rejected a rider, but I will admit that, beyond good morning, I don't encourage conversation.
Of course, maybe no one WANTS to talk to me.....
sable2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sable2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2007 at 5:56pm
Well, I don't know if the girl at the front of the line was annoying, but the driver I was with today passed her up for me, the second in line. I was extremely glad to get a ride, but *gulp* I felt bad for the girl in front.

Enjoy!
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2007 at 7:11am
S'Pants,
If you're that annoyed, intollerant, inflexible, and touchy in dealing with some people's quirks, just find a couple of slugs that you can tolerate -- and have them meet you in another location in the lot away from the slug line. (That's a "will call".)

It's a real shame that all slugs don't fit into your mold to be good enough to ride in your car. Just realize that you too probably have quirks that annoy others. Sluggin', like the rest of life, is a two-way street.

Galah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2007 at 11:29am

Squeeze me?? Baking powder??? I HARDLY think that what S'pants is looking for is out of line and entirely within the "rules" outlined on this very website. Totally agree that a car pool MAY be more appropriate, but it is NOT out of line to ask for some respectful consideration of the shared space created by our preferred mode of travel.

It certainly is MUCH easier for a slug to turn down a ride with a driver they would prefer not to ride with than it is for a driver to turn down a rider they KNOW consistantly exhibits bad behavior.

S'pants is just asking advice so she can politely refuse rather than having to losing it some morning and launching into a tirade.

SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2007 at 11:40am
Do the will-call thing -- you know, point at someone you know and can tolerate on the slug line. I've never heard of anyone objecting to that. Too bad if they do anyway.

litaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote litaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2007 at 1:51pm
I agree with the other suggestions. It goes both ways, if you're an "undesirable driver" than the rider should have the right to pass and if you're an "undesirable rider" than the driver should have the right to pass as well.

The whole process is too wierdly symbiotic to make it personal. I completely understand where sluggie_pants is coming from (I've actually asked friends and family to be quieter while I'm driving) so maybe if you simply say "Let's just enjoy the drive or the music or the scenery". Not everyone gets the increase-the-volume hint.

[8D]

M
slugdriverandslugrider View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugdriverandslugrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2007 at 3:39pm
What you have to do is get an air horn and a spray bottle filled with water and vinegar. Then when they talk blow the horn in their face. When they slobber on you spray them while chanting "Bad Slug! Bad Slug!

Really though, I would say the best option is to be upfront and tell them that you would rather not talk on the trip, been a tough day, need some time to think... going to be a tough day, need some time to prepare... whatever you wish.

Insensitive or situationally unaware, most people don't realize they are being perceived as annoying.

Now.... If the situation continues or reoccurs then I would agree you would be justified in passing on that person.

Most people will respect your request to pipe down on the persiflage permanently rather than risk being passed over in procession.

"Everyone deserves a second chance" - Darryl Strawberry
"Everyone deserves a third chance" - Darryl Strawberry
"Everyone deserves a fourth chance" - Darryl Strawberry
"Everyone deserves a fifth chance" - Darryl Strawberry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic