Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Police in HOV lanes in AM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rochelle45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Police in HOV lanes in AM
    Posted: 22 Feb 2007 at 10:22am
Please be CAUTIOUS in the morning on the stretch of HOV from Newington to Springfield. The speed changes so quickly from 65 to 50 miles per hour within 1/4 to 1/2 miles. The tramp for the drivers is the Officers of Fairfax are setting at the bottom of the last ramp of the HOV lane in Springfield with a RADAR gun. The manner in which you are stopped is to STAND IN THE MIDDLE OF BOTH LANES which can cause a MAJOR accident for the drivers. I have contacted the County Supervisor for the Springfield area. What I saw this morning was CRAZY and those two officers need to be written up.
Galah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2007 at 10:37am
I don't understand the speed limit change, I thought it may have been a carryover from the times when the road was under construction and VDOT just forgot to change the signs....
I have seen that technique for stopping speeders used before in Maryland...but then I thought, Hey, it's Maryland....
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2007 at 3:36pm
Specifically where were they? North or south of Springfield exhange?
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2007 at 7:28am
I saw one north of Springfield (between there and Edsall).
Galah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2007 at 9:23am

....and ANOTHER thing! Was VDOT asleep this morning? My slugs and I are coming north from 610, ready to get on the HOV and the great big sign says CLOSED DO NOT ENTER .....gates weren't down so, we went on anyway but it sure makes you hesitant....
JK 14 n G View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JK 14 n G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2007 at 2:08pm
I was a slug in a car that got pulled over by the speed trap. While I agree that the tactics used to stop folks was insane, the cops were actually really nice. They explained that the speed limit is 50 in that area due to the continued construction further ahead, and that the area was where the "arteries were bleeding in".

It's understandable to keep the speed limit 50mph, but not obvious enough for the drivers. Maybe a blinking marquee would do the trick?

Let's fill up the Rt. 17 lot and ease up on Mine Rd.!!
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2007 at 12:25pm
The HOV "50 mph zone" at Springfield is only about a mile long. [:0]

When traveling southbound on the HOVs, the "50 mph zone" begins just north of the beltway, and it extends to just south of the Franconia-Springfield (Va 7900) southbound HOV entance ramp where the speed limit goes back up to 65 mph. [:)]

All three HOV exits through this zone are from the left lane. [;)]
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 8:28am
Wow! I never even noticed those 50 mph signs before this thread was posted. I thought the HOV was 65 all the way. Thanks!
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 9:15am
I heard on WTOP there was a backup this morning as a result of police enforcement in the HOV south of Springfield.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2007 at 9:26am
We slid onto the carpool lanes at the Dale City entrance this a.m. and there was a lawman at the end of the ramp.

HE GOT ONE! Two cars in front of us: single male driver in a small sedan. Yessssss! We rode in with smiles on our faces. [;)]

BTW, we never saw evidence of the pre-Springfield backup by 8:15.

But what is up with the huge delays all week prior to Memorial Bridge? That has been adding 10-20 minutes to the commute.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic