Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAccountability and Petition Plans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 9:02am
Yes, it's too simple. Cameras can't count people in the back seats when there are darker tinted windows, or in the dark. And that's assuming that a camera can count people, which they can't. Don't suggest IR cameras because they wouldn't work during the day.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 12:24pm
Sounds like HOV-2 would work.
JRWoodbridge View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JRWoodbridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2007 at 9:04am
To me it's becoming obvious that our Delegates are out of touch with the reality of driving in the I95 HOV. While, Delegate Cole's solution of expanding the HOV and regular lanes would help out the region, it is not a short term solution and will cost the tax payers billions of dollars. I'm not sure what is meant by a "Reasonable Compromise". If the intent of the HOV is to reduce congestion and help our environment, the only way to do that is to enforce the HOV 3 and reduce the number of cars on the road.

quote:
Originally posted by No2HOV-1
[br]Message sent to VA Delegates:

Gentlemen, Last year the voters in Virginia were promised that the exemption for Hybrid cars to use the HOV with less than three persons would not be extended this year. It is my understanding that the exemption has been renewed. The traffic congestion on I-95 is due to volume. Allowing individuals to use the HOV offers no incentive to carpool and help reduce the number of cars on the road. In addition, as traffic becomes more congested, the amount of air pollution from regular cars only increases due to inefficiencies. The near term solution to reducing traffic congestion on I-95 South is to make the HOV three for all cars or even four to help reduce volume. I challenge either of you two gentlemen to travel on I-95 South between Washington and Fredericksburg at 5PM any weeknight and tell me less cars would not improve conditions. Please encourage Governor Kaine to veto the hybrid exemption as a benefit to a vast majority of Virginia voters. Thank you.

Response from Delegate Mark Cole:

I understand your concerns. The exemption for hybrids purchased before July 2006 was extended for another year. I think most believe that limiting it to hybrids purchased before July 2006 was a reasonable compromise and that will cause a gradual decline in the number of hybrids using the HOV lanes. Of course the real solution is to expand the HOV and regular lanes on I95 which is what I am pushing for.

Thanks,

Mark Cole
Delegate, 88th District
Stafford, Spotsylvania, and Fauquier Counties

wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2007 at 12:18pm
quote:

Response from Delegate Mark Cole:

I understand your concerns. The exemption for hybrids purchased before July 2006 was extended for another year. I think most believe that limiting it to hybrids purchased before July 2006 was a reasonable compromise and that will cause a gradual decline in the number of hybrids using the HOV lanes. Of course the real solution is to expand the HOV and regular lanes on I95 which is what I am pushing for.

Thanks,

Mark Cole
Delegate, 88th District
Stafford, Spotsylvania, and Fauquier Counties

translated:
"will cause a gradual decline in the number of hybrids using the HOV lanes until HOT is implemented and I and my fellow legislators won't have to deal with this issue any more"

Seriously, assuming an average 5yr life for a 1st owner hybrid (also assuming the pre-limitation tag cannot be trf to a 2nd/new owner) and the spike in sales that occured before the cutoff date was imlpemented it would seem the two neatly coincide with the above thought...[8]

NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2007 at 1:01pm
quote:
Originally posted by JRWoodbridge
[br]To me it's becoming obvious that our Delegates are out of touch with the reality of driving in the I95 HOV. While, Delegate Cole's solution of expanding the HOV and regular lanes would help out the region, it is not a short term solution and will cost the tax payers billions of dollars. I'm not sure what is meant by a "Reasonable Compromise". If the intent of the HOV is to reduce congestion and help our environment, the only way to do that is to enforce the HOV 3 and reduce the number of cars on the road.

[br]

Not the only way. Another way is to go back to what it was when the express lanes were first introduced and use them for buses only. Express lanes then become congestion free and because the number of cars in those lanes becomes zero, the environment becomes better. But you have to ignore the mess in the regular lanes to come to either your conclusion or the one offerred here.

However, both express and regular lane problems are better solved by both going back to pre-1975 legislation for buses only, and adding the provision that SULEV can also use the express lanes. Congestion is still solved for the express lanes, the environment is still better (much better, since the SULEV would also be used for non-commutes), and the regular lane congestion is mitigated by removing SULEV from those lanes.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2007 at 1:30pm
Wrong, as usual, NoSUV.

The goal is to move the most people in the fewest vehicles. Eliminating carpools would not drive all those people to ride the bus, because they simply won't do it. (Like you, who won't ride the bus.)

So eliminating carpools would only dramatically increase the number of vehicles in the regular lanes.

Sadly, what you are envisioning is exactly what Fluor/Transurban have in mind: they call it BRT for Bus-Rapid-Transit. It is a mega-bus vehicle capable of carrying many more people than one of the traditional highway bombers that Omniride has. A BRT is something more like a short train or a double-semi.

Fluor's plan all along has been to build BRT stations along I95 and push all the carpoolers onto the mega-buses for a ride to the Pentagon, since these creatures can't negotiate the District's streets. Read Fluor's proposal and you'll see.
Hooch View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2007 at 9:49pm
Hey stupid, slugs contribute to the environment by getting cars of the road. Unfortunatley, those of us who bus/slug from down south (234) have had our commute times increased substantially by self serving hybrid owners who drive right by lines of people waiting in commuter lots for buses or slug rides, choosing to clog the HOV lanes. I've actually started counting hybrids that pass the bus in the morning. One day last week, 8 out of 10 vehicles that sped past the bus were hybrids. Not one had a second passenger. I didn't really think about the impact until I got within about a half mile of the pentagon and hit the backup for the exit. HOV's out the whazoo, and you'd be surprised (maybe not) how many of them took the right lane, which is for a right turn, and then turned left. Then they cut in to the correct lane to turn in to the parking areas of the pentagon. Typical self serving hybrid owners.

Hooch
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2007 at 1:58pm
If population is the problem, then eliminate SOV for hybrids dimbulb. Voila, more people in less cars. It's not like there aren't well over 10K SOV hybrids in HOV.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2007 at 4:15pm
I don't see how that would lower the number of SOVs.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2007 at 10:17am
NoSUV, there are no plans to make a bus do what you said: express to my destination. No bus goes directly from Horner or PM straight to State. Carpools do, however.

Did you ride the bus today?

Have you EVER ridden the bus? Have you EVER ridden the Omniride bus?

I do all the time. I have a much more informed opinion of bus riders than you do, since I am one myself, and literally rub elbows with them all the time.

You know NOTHING about the bus system here. Your opinion, as usual, is worthless.

On days like today, when so much worse is going on in the world, your self-centeredness, your arrogance, your elitism, your ignorance, your goading and me-firstism, your selfishness and hypocrisy, are extremely irritating. No one understands why you are on this board. Go away.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic