Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slugs Refusing to Wear Seatbelts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slugs Refusing to Wear Seatbelts
    Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 9:54am
What is the State Law in VA and DC regarding wearing of seatbelts? I picked up a slug yesterday who wanted to know the answer to this when I reminded him to put on his seatbelt. I told him I didn't know, but it was a good idea anyway. His indicated since he was in the back seat he didn't think VA law required him to wear a seat belt. He eventually put it on and was not a happy camper and slammed the door when I dropped him off. I guess he didn't like being forced by the driver to wear his seatbelt.

The way I feel, it's my vehicle and any passenger in it is going to wear their seatbelt regardless of what any state law says, but I guess some of our esteemed slugs feel differently.
go2grl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote go2grl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 10:00am
This is what I found for seat belt laws in our area:

DC's seat belt law requires the driver and all passengers to be properly buckled up at all times, in the front and back seats. This requirement applies to passengers in all vehicles, including taxicabs. As with child safety seat violations, District law allows police to stop a vehicle solely because drivers and passengers are not properly buckled.

In Virginia, seat belt laws for passengers only apply to children up to 16.

Regardless of the law, you have every right to require your passengers to wear their seat belts. Even if it isn't required, if you get into an accident it not only protects the person wearing the belt, but others in the car as well.
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 10:05am
I got this from Va DMV web site:

Virginia law states that law enforcement can cite anyone driving a vehicle in which an occupant through age 15 is not wearing a seat belt or is not properly restrained in a child safety seat. Further, the law also provides that drivers stopped for other violations can be cited if they are not buckled up. This also applies to all front seat passengers 16 years and over.

Thus, it appears that the law does not apply to persons riding in the back seat. However, you are the driver of the vehicle, and will be held responsible for injuries to the occupants of the vehicle should an accident occur. You have every right to insist that your passengers buckle up for this reason alone. Additionally, an insurance company may cause unnecessary aggravation during a claim if you allowed your riders not to buckle up.
Scroll View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 10:12am
I had a slug not buckle up in my back seat last week. I asked him to buckle up, and he said VA law didn't require. I politely/firmly told him, "Perhaps, but I insist on it in my vehicle. Please buckle up." He did so, and that was the end of that.

Scroll
Galah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2007 at 11:04am
Unbuckled backseat passengers become missles upon impact and endanger the front seat passengers (not to mention the medical liability you assume for their prolonged recovery after they pass through the windscreen of your vehicle at 60+ mph)
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 8:34am
I've sat in the back where the buckle has fallen under the seat cushions and I couldn't buckle up. Has made for some uncomfortable commutes to/from work. If I can't sit in the front seat, I pass the ride up. My life is more important than riding in a car without a seat belt.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 10:16am
If you're involved in a front end collision, I'd hate to be the person in the front passenger seat. The airbag is coming at you at 150mph, and the unbuckled slug behind you is coming at you at 60mph. Ouch! I always make my slugs buckle up, and when I slug (and end up in the front passenger seat) I make sure the slug behind me is buckled up.

---------
Still waiting for NoSUV to put up or shut up.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 11:33am
Your car, your rules. Dont like it, ride mass transit..(ha ha...)

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)
LDOMAJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LDOMAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 11:42am
I apply the same rule in my car, buckle-up or wait for another ride. I pay the insurance and will most likely be liable if there is an accident so I don't want unbuckled bodies flying around my vehicle if I can avoid it.

It is not usually an issue...
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 11:44am
my view as a slug- you may be pleasant, you may drive a nice safe looking vehicle- but I have NO idea how good a driver you are, never mind all the other drivers around us. I wear my seatbelt all the time.

You can see from old posts, that was not always the case with me. A fellow slugger set me straight. :')

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic