Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Afternoon Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rosslyn Slug Line Suggestions Needed!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rosslyn Slug Line Suggestions Needed!!
    Posted: 23 Feb 2002 at 1:17pm
If you have any suggestions on how to improve the Rosslyn slug line please post your comments! As you may know, the Arlington Police Department issued a warning that drivers would be ticketed as a result of the vehicle congestion from the slug line starting Mar 2002. I have contacted the department and will try to work out an agreement, but I would like your input/ideas/suggestions/etc.

Please reply with suggestions!!!

Sincerely,
David

Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2002 at 8:16am
I recommend that the Stafford line move and the current line stay for Potomac/Horner/Tacketts. If that doesnt work after a couple of months then we consider moving everything. The line was set up with a great deal of effort and by Prince Wm slugs and it is Stafford that is creating most of the slug related problems. Even if you dont agree with this it is only fair that they move first. Possibilities for a new line include Ft Myer Dr southbound only one-half block away if the police will allow. (You can pick up GW Pkwy to 395 or go around the block to pick up 110 as before). I dont think the north end of Moore will work because not enough room. If police want to contact me to walk around and look at these I will do that. However I wonder what flexibility Arlington will have on this issue. They must remember the benefits to all - reduced traffic and smog!
sparsons View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparsons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2002 at 2:34pm
Here are a few requirements that I think a decent location should offer, then my personal recommendation for the new location (note: drop-off points remain flexible)

- Easy entry/exit for both pedestrians (a.k.a. slugs) and vehicles
- Easy for "newbies" to find on a map
- Doesn't seriously impede traffic flow
- Offers limited shelter in case of inclement weather
- Not in proximity to metered parking, parking garage entry/exit, taxi stands or bus stops
- Within reasonable proximity to Metro

I walked around the area today and only came up with this recommendation: Wilson Blvd (SE) before the Newseum walking bridge, just past N. Lynn, and just before entry onto 110 South.

There appears to be sufficient curb space, absence of parking meters, bus stops, and taxi stands. Even with vehicles lined-up on the curb, there is sufficient room on the left for unimpeded traffic flow to 110 South (this proposed location provides easy access to 110 South-- heaven forbid it should close again. There's an overhang that would provide limited shelter during inclement weather. Maintaining "line order" is made easier because a majority of slugs will have to walk from one direction (NW) to line-up, thus facilitating first-in/first-out order. Although there is a parking garage entry/exit close to the walking bridge, its entrance would be a great starting point for the line, and not necessary create a problem.
OBTW...my walk will be longer .
Eric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2002 at 9:57am
An interesting temporary measure was pointed out to me yesterday PM... If the line of slugs "flipped" around, i.e. if the head of the line was closest to the Metro crosswalk and the line then extended back up toward Wilson, then there would be several more car lengths available for the line of waiting cars. Note that the sidewalk is wide enough that if the line of slugs gets too long, it can loop back around.

- Eric.

Gary View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2002 at 2:09pm
Having worked in Rosslyn since 1994, I have noticed that Nash street between Golds Gym and the Arlington Temple is not very busy. It is also easy to get to via the skywalk from the Metro. If Arlington would allow the slug line to form on the Arlington Temple side of the road, and remove a couple of the parking meters, there is plenty of sidewalk/curb space to operate both lines, have easy access to Metro, and be out of the way. This would also prevent U-turns since drivers would be able to choose their route at the Nash/Fort Myer intersection.

Just another suggestion.....

GARY
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic