Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sign Petition Re: VA Civil Remedial Fees

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2007 at 6:49am
[?] Are the complaints & petitions working [?]

Read this article with the headline "Virginia Lawmakers May Reconsider New Road Fees".

http://news.wjla.com/news/stories/0607/434977.html

The article also discusses why they are "fees" as opposed to "fines" on "abusive drivers" and why they don't apply to non-Virginians.
Galah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2007 at 10:43am

I'll sign the petition IF it says, get rid of the fees and raise the gas tax -OR- it says change the VA constitution to make fines resultant from traffic violations will be applied to the maintainence and improvement of the highway system.

I don't object to this system of fees as long as they don't start giving quotas to State Troopers.

WE NEED BETTER ROADS!
thorpesa View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thorpesa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2007 at 11:48am
I agree that WE NEED BETTER ROADS! However, the onus should not just be put on VA drivers. CYA Kaine -

"I've got to say there were options on the table for financing a system that would have applied to out-of-staters like a gas tax and things like that. The public overwhelmingly didn't want that, the legislature didn't want it, so this was one of a number of items we put on the table to raise funds," said Kaine. Let's get this straight - the legislature didn't want it, I don't remember them asking us if a gas tax was okay - do you? Maybe there was public outcry when Kaine was doing all his Town Hall Transportation meetings - so, guess what VA because you didn't push that a gas tax was okay (which would have gotten money from everyone to include out-of-state vehicles, trucks, etc.) - you are going to be punished in a different way, with very hefty fees. Unless of course you are perfect and don't make any driving mistakes - this is relative and will remain to be seen.

Also, not sure if I read the article correctly that SluDgE gave a link to but the way this is written:

"The 'abusive driver' measures impose "civil remedial fees" paid in three annual installments that could top $1,000 for such offenses as driving under the influence..."

makes it sound as though if you add it up you will only have to pay up to $1,000 if you are hit with the "driving under the influence" fee, no - if you read (7) Fee Schedule in the New Virginia Code 46.2-206-1, item (c) DUI and related offenses the fee you will have to pay will top $2,250 if I calculate it right: $750 x 3. Not that I advocate that anyone should be driving under the influence.

Anyway, can anybody explain to me what 46.2-860 RD - Fail to Give Proper Signal - Misdemeanor (C)2 Misdemeanor 1 means. Does this mean if you already have Reckless Driving, which I assume the "RD" stands for, and don't properly use your turn signal you get hit with this? Or, does it mean that if you get stopped for not using your turn signal properly you get hit with this, no matter what your driving record is? Either way, start using those turn signals all the time!!
IH8TRAFFIC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IH8TRAFFIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2007 at 12:04pm
Myself, I'm a good driver. Have had tickets in the past so I'm more careful now as to driving. I don't object to the heavy fines because some of these dee dee dee drivers need to "get-it-put-to-them" for not caring about other drivers safety. What I do object to is that it only applies to Virginians. Make it apply to everyone and I'm happy. Oh yeah, these fines better go to the road improvements and not to the Dulles rail project. I'm for the rail to go out there but all the squabbling and bickering about it is just not worth putting the "fees" towards that project. GET THE ROADS IMPROVED FIRST!!!!!!!
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2007 at 12:44pm
A couple of things to consider for those who are in favor of these fines. In general, I agree that the abusive drivers need to be punished. But in terms of the tickets that are issued each year, what percentage do you think goes to the really bad drivers vs just speed traps, cameras, and trickery that are basically targeting the average driver? Think of how easy it is to fall into a speed trap in a 35 zone and you are halfway to getting a 1000 fine.

I just think that when they start hammering the average guy (whether it is him or his teenager) there will be a major backlash.
CJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2007 at 8:00pm
Is there a fine for slow people driving in the left lane? How about people who don't know how to merge "at speed" on a highway and insist on merging into 65mph traffic at 35mph? I know one of the fines is for not signalling, that alone should gear up a lot of money since most people find signally a sign of weakness. Basically, these fines are a bunch of garbage! Virginia raised our taxes last year because they said they had a budget shortfall, then two months later came back and said they had all kinds of money left! What happened to THAT cash?? I know I never got a refund for the overpayment to Virginia!

CJ
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2007 at 7:14am
Here's an article about the new Virginia fees that appeared in USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-06-29-Va-new-driving-laws_N.htm?csp=34
thorpesa View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thorpesa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2007 at 8:28am
CJ: Your response made me laugh. [:D] I was just thinking that the other day - the part about driving slow in the left lane, and not merging at speed onto the highway. How about fees for people driving 5-10 MPH below the speed limit on a two lane road - isn't that designated as impeding traffic[?] Of course I have never seen anyone pulled over for doing that!
12GaSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12GaSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2007 at 7:27pm
quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE
[br][?] Why are the fees only applicable to Virginia drivers? [?]

Is there some federal law/regulation that precludes the fees from also being levied on out-of-staters? (From my experience, it seems the worst reckless driving offenders, at least on the Interstates, are drivers with plates on their cars from states north of Virginia.) Can't Virginia allow "equal opportunity" on this and let reckless and dangerous out-of-state drivers contribute, too?

What gives?

12GaSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12GaSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2007 at 7:31pm
Shouldn't the equal protection clause of the Constitution apply here? Out of staters can violate the same laws but are treated differently simply because of where they live. Why not on the basis of religion, color, sex, or political party? Our delegate Bobby Orrock voted for this measure and gave a lame excuse in the local paper that it was part of an all or nothing package. Nonsense. Something this foolish should have made the decision easy. I'm for punishment of traffic law violators but let's be up front about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic