Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why is it "Hybrids vs Slugs"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is it "Hybrids vs Slugs"?
    Posted: 29 Sep 2007 at 2:32pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]When hybrid drivers are replacing their hybrids after 2-3 years en masse, it makes you wonder about their lifespan and reliability. My car is six years old, and still drives like new. There were virtually no Priuses on the road when I got it, and Civic hybrids weren't around until my car was almost two years old. Today those "old" hybrids are a dying breed.

MDC - My Prius is a 2002 with >91K miles. "En masse?" Not hardly.

You know that you are the exception, don't you? If you only have 91K miles, then your car is barely middle aged. What happened to all of the other ones?

Several trips per week I don't see even one of the older Prius models. Two years ago you rarely went in the HOV lanes for more than a minute without having one within sight.

Did all of the ones we used to see break and go to hybrid heaven?
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2007 at 1:29pm
crewshell,
You are almost there. When you are looking at the balance sheet, on one side you have the cost of construction. On the other, not only do you have the fuel savings, but you also have the environmental impact of emissions. Hybrids produce 20% of the greenhouse gases as conventional like sized vehicles - 1/15 of SUV or light truck. The labor cost you quote is at best misleading - if the labor weren't working on this, they'd be working on that (or on welfare).
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2007 at 1:24pm
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]When hybrid drivers are replacing their hybrids after 2-3 years en masse, it makes you wonder about their lifespan and reliability. My car is six years old, and still drives like new. There were virtually no Priuses on the road when I got it, and Civic hybrids weren't around until my car was almost two years old. Today those "old" hybrids are a dying breed.

MDC - My Prius is a 2002 with >91K miles. "En masse?" Not hardly.
crewshell View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2007 at 8:58am
For 2006 http://cnwmr.com/automotiveenergy/

For 2005 http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/03-31-2006/0004330990&EDATE=

I don't think it takes a lot of mental freedom to agree its possible that a car like the xB or xA which is incredibly “simple” gets great gas mileage and does not utilize pollution rich products like nickel batteries and complex propulsion systems could consume less "energy" over its life time than some hybrids. When looking at this you’ll also need to look at how much the car costs. Why? Because for the average consumer each dollar they earn and then spend on their vehicle represents their labor, and they labor includes pollution costs, driving to work, work byproducts, etc… It’s a complex issue to determine the “most green” car and to simply say that car is most eco friendly simply because they have good gas mileage and low emissions is a falsie.

Anyway, the point I am raising is that people need to look at the TOTAL picture, the TOTAL energy consumed to operate a vehicle, not just tailpipe emissions or gas mileage.

(P.S I am not poking a troll, just having a friendly discussion)
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2007 at 10:32pm
When hybrid drivers are replacing their hybrids after 2-3 years en masse, it makes you wonder about their lifespan and reliability. My car is six years old, and still drives like new. There were virtually no Priuses on the road when I got it, and Civic hybrids weren't around until my car was almost two years old. Today those "old" hybrids are a dying breed.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2007 at 4:38pm
quote:
Originally posted by crewshell
[br]NoSUV

Just a point to make. Hybrids are not the most eco friendly cars on the road. The energy it takes to produce the vechicle, the batteries, the waste, everything involved with the Hybrid along with some of their over hyped stats make small cars like the Kia Rio or Scion xA more eco friendly.

Just a point.

Are you seriously saying that the energy used to create the vehicle is greater than the energy saved over the lifetime of the vehicle when comparing to Kia Rio or Scion xA? Got any facts on which you base that? Can you compare energy emissions in creation to energy emissions if used for 100,000 miles?

Or are you just poking the troll?
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2007 at 2:58pm
HA HA HAAAA HAAAA AHHHH SNORT....

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2007 at 8:42am
Dammit, stop poking the troll!!!!!!!
crewshell View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 7:16pm
NoSUV

Just a point to make. Hybrids are not the most eco friendly cars on the road. The energy it takes to produce the vechicle, the batteries, the waste, everything involved with the Hybrid along with some of their over hyped stats make small cars like the Kia Rio or Scion xA more eco friendly.

Just a point.
slugjo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2007 at 11:02am
This reminds me of an old 1930's Popeye cartoon, "Let's You and Him Fight." It's fun to check this forum on rare occasions and see if NoSUV is still at it. I won't engage him, but obviously others enjoy arguing with an ignorant person who cannot even evaluate the validity of his own argument, or they would follow scottt's advise and not feed the troll.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic