Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What would you do in this situation?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KStephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What would you do in this situation?
    Posted: 30 Jul 2007 at 10:04am
There was about 40 people in line on a very hot day. A shorter heavy set lady with dark hair arrives at the end of the line. She sees someone she knows about 4 people away from the front of the line and places her bag on the ground to hold her spot and goes to chat. After a very short time of talking to the friend she runs back to get her bag and returns to the front of the line. Soon they were next to go. They passed up one ride because they couldn't go together. At that point I was hoping all the cars would only take one. Then I wanted to ask her if she felt more important than everyone she just bipassed. She and her friend at one point turned around and I kindly said aloud "How RUDE!" Where were the slug police when you need them?! This made me realize, really, what could we do.
Sheepish View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2007 at 11:17am
If they decide they want to ride together, I think the slug closest to the front of the line could move to join the friend farther back without angering anyone else in line.

I think the next time this happens to you, you should politely offer this resolution to them both pointing out it is rude and unfair to those who were already in line.
Oosik View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2007 at 11:29am
While I don't think saying "How RUDE!" could be expressed in a "kindly" way, I do think you had every right to say "Excuse me, but all of us waiting in line would appreciate it if you did not cut in line." I would go up and speak to the "ladies" as privately as possible.

If they ignore you, then it's time to really be unkind and poll everyone in line: "Who believes that this lady should be able to cut in ahead of everyone else because she found her friend at the head of the line?" Whether she moves back or maintains her place the lesson will be set for her and every other slug.

Given the formality that slugging has achieved over the years and the frequent influx of new slugs, VDOT (or voluntary contributions) should create slug rules to be posted in pick-up locations.
ohio 7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohio 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 8:09am
Oosik, I like your method. It would be really irritating to be in a long, hot (or frigid in winter) line and have someone who has no class just waltz ahead of everyone. Like I said, no class or consideration for those that they have cheated.

It would be great to see everyone that she passed up jump in front of her each time a car pulled up and say: "I'm in front of you" and get into the car until her former place came up next. But, alas, not everyone would be willing to do this, thus rewarding this behavior and giving others of that ilk ideas to do that themselves one day.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 3:52pm
Hubby and I had this problem back in the day. We'd slug home together, one of us would always get there first, and squeeze in line next to the other one, after about a week, we realized it was rude (we were new to the slug system) and the first to arrive would stand to the side of the line and wait for the other, then get in line. Its only fair.

Slug'n till 2010 (when the HOT lanes roll in)
Oosik View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2007 at 12:15pm
I actually had something similar happen at a ski hill. Some guy saw a friend of his up ahead and somehow managed to push his way up front. Since this was all ahead of me, I didn't say anything. Then the guy had the gall to call up someone behind me and told him to come up to the front. That's when I told him, very loudly, that if he wanted to ride up with someone he should wait for the friend and it wasn't fair for him to have cut in line either. Others around me agreed and told the guy behind us to just wait his turn. In the end, I rode up in the gondola with both of the two guys who absolutely refused to meet my icy stare.

Most line cheaters are cowards and know they are wrong. Letting them get away with their line violations will only enbolden them.
AveMaria View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AveMaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2007 at 1:52pm
Oosik's example supports the popular idea that line etiquette (and other basic (U.S.) manners/protocols) doesn't just apply to "THE SLUG SYSTEM", it applies to ALL social interaction beyond your front door.

Perhaps we should instead sympathise b/c some were raised by wolves. [8D]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic