Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAgainst HOT Lanes Petition, Contact Info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spidermonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Against HOT Lanes Petition, Contact Info
    Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 6:08pm
[This is from a reply to another post I made]

The online website that Jody refers to is:

www.petitiononline.com

I thought about starting one myself this weekend... then I thought better of it since writing is not my strength.

Does anyone find themselves reasonably competent to start a petition like this???? Let's try to get this grassroots ball rolling....

BTW---if you haven't yet done so, sign the repeal the VA Civil Remedial Fees for Traffic Offenses petition (there are 167k (3k since Sunday when I signed))

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?va3202&1

spidermonkey

spidermonkey
spidermonkey View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spidermonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2007 at 6:12pm
I received back a response from Corey Stewart, chairman of BOCS. Here is his reply to my contact.

--------------

As an outspoken advocate of HOV, fellow
commuter and slugger I have opposed HOT Lanes from the day they were
introduced and have led the BOCS in opposition to their implementation.
I hope you will continue to help me fight HOT Lanes stop the adverse
impacts they would have on the slugging system. I will continue to
oppose Hot Lanes but the only way to keep this from moving forward is
to
get all the "Slugs" to contact Governor Kaine who currently with
Chairman Connolly from Fairfax supports HOT Lanes.

--Corey

www.governor.virginia.org

Phone: (804) 786-2211
Fax: (804) 371-6351

----------------

Here is some more important contacts:

VA Secretary of Transportation Office:

http://www.transportation.virginia.gov/OfficeInfo/contactForm.cfm

Fairfax Chairman Connolly:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/chairman/

VA Governor Kaine Contact:

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/AboutTheGovernor/contactGovernor.cfm

Let raise a little ____!

spidermonkey
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2007 at 1:02pm
Hi Spidermonkey. In today's Fairfax Extra of the Wash. Post there is an article about Bryan Ault, the creator of the abuser fee petition. He plans to present the petition to the lawmakers and the governor. I would love to see the same thing regarding HOT lanes happen. I emailed the governor and VDOT two months ago but never received responses. The abuser fee petition got the delegates attention. The same is needed here. I hope someone will start one. I don't have the computer know-how to do it.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2007 at 2:02pm
Something like this

We the undersigned strongly oppose the I-95/395 HOT lane project for the following reasons:

It should be against federal and state law to convert an existing HOV lane to HOT.

We object to the secretive nature of the Public-Private Partnership negotiations.

We object to having a private consortium control the most critical interstate system in the U.S.

There is inadequate capacity on 395 to support thousands of single occupant toll vehicles and re-striping will not add capacity due to bottlenecks.

We believe that within a short time after the lanes become operational, a move will be made to convert the HOV-3 to HOV-4 and/or begin charging tolls to carpools.

The citizens of Virginia deserve to know all of the terms of the agreement and have input into the process before the agreement is signed.

We are concerned that this system will harm HOV by crowding the corridor, and in so doing will have long term negative consequences on commute times, air pollution, and parking.

Other options should be explored including conversion of one of the regular lanes to HOV or HOT or adding a HOT lane to the regular lanes.

We must preserve the most successful HOV system in the country. We need more carpools, not single occupant cars.

NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2007 at 2:34pm
quote:
Originally posted by Jody
[br]Hi Spidermonkey. In today's Fairfax Extra of the Wash. Post there is an article about Bryan Ault, the creator of the abuser fee petition. He plans to present the petition to the lawmakers and the governor. I would love to see the same thing regarding HOT lanes happen. I emailed the governor and VDOT two months ago but never received responses. The abuser fee petition got the delegates attention. The same is needed here. I hope someone will start one. I don't have the computer know-how to do it.

Jody,

When I emailed the gov, I ended up getting a 2 page letter from the State Sec Trans, who pointed me to VDOT spokesman Jeff Caldwell. Jeff, in turn, passed me over to Corey Hill of DRPT. Both Jeff and Corey were at the Information meetings.

If my experience is anything, individuals writing to the governor won't help.

There are big differences between abuser fees and HOT lanes. While just about everyone hates abuser fees, the same cannot be said about HOT lanes.

What happens if you start a petition and relatively few people sign it? Wouldn't that be worse than no petition at all?
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2007 at 2:47pm
Based on the posts here, I think riders and drivers who utilize the slug line would sign a petition.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2007 at 3:33pm
The political firestorm has not hit. There is too much confusion and disinformation. The firestorm will happen after HOT lanes are in place for a few months.

An online petition would not work yet, but a paper petition might help.

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spidermonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2007 at 6:53pm
quote:

What happens if you start a petition and relatively few people sign it? Wouldn't that be worse than no petition at all?

Well, that would be a *bad* thing but I'm not sure that it would be worse, since without some sort of intervention it is going to happen anyways, and more than likely the whole thing will be fashioned to be *against* slugs (i.e., be contractually so loose so that any changes could happen over time as the HOT lanes management deemed appropriate, whenever they deemed appropriate; that is, change the rules about 3+/motorcycles/public transportation vehicles being free, $$$, etc.).

If worse comes to worse I will attempt to craft a petition online but, as I said, writing such things is not my strength/forte' and given the advice the web site gives about crafting it properly initially being very important... I'd rather be the last chance guy to do it. I would start from some of the verbiage that Bob suggested.

IHMO, pressure must be applied very quickly!

spidermonkey
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spidermonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2007 at 8:19pm
Ok dang-it. When something maddens you like this does me, you just throw caution to the wind, rollup your sleeves, and get dirty. I need some input/feedback though. I am going to move this thread to another one, I'm going to call "'HOT Lanes Online Petition'-Request for Feedback". I'm going to start with Bob's suggestions, tweak it a little, then request feedback so that this thing doesn't turn out to be a dud. So please provide meaningful feedback. Look for something shortly.

spidermonkey
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spidermonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 4:36pm
FWIW---

VDOT's HOT Lanes Project Manager contact info is:

Mr. Larry Cloyed
larry.cloyed@vdot.virginia.gov

spidermonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic