Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWashington Post Dr Gridlock and HOT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cavvie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Washington Post Dr Gridlock and HOT
    Posted: 22 Aug 2007 at 2:53pm
The word is getting out on the anti-HOT petition. Someone wrote in to Dr. Gridlock and he published the link in his online blog. It will also appear in the print edition too I assume. Here is what was said:

Anti-HOT Lane Petition Online

A commuter from Prince William County wrote in to advise us that opponents of the process Virginia is following to create express toll lanes along I-95/395 have a petition online. I'll discuss that in an upcoming Dr. Gridlock column, but I thought some of you might like to hear about it now and have an online link.

Dear Dr. Gridlock:

The citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia are tired of the secretive nature of the study regarding the conversion of the High Occupancy Vehicle lanes to Hight Occupancy or Toll lanes on I-95.

The Virginia Department of Transportation and Fluor Daniels, the contractor, have had numerous "public" meetings at which they tell the citizens of Virginia how this system will work, but they refuse to hold an open forum to allow direct questions from the citizens of Northern Virginia and provide answers to those questions.

It appears that the conversion decision has already been made and these public meetings are merely a method by which our elected representatives can say that the public had numerous opportunities to comment.

Therefore, an online petition has been created in an effort to send a message to our elected representatives that this public-private partnership process and the conversion of HOV to toll lanes must be stopped until the process becomes more public and less private. Citizens concerned about the secretive nature of the process, can register their concern at www.petitiononline.com/NOTsoHOT/petition.html.

Dr Gridlock replied:

I went to last month's VDOT forum in Woodbridge and thought Dennis Morrison, who was about to retire as VDOT's regional administrator, did a good job of addressing as many commuter questions as he possibly could. But there are some important questions that he acknowleded he could not answer, such as how the new system would distinguish between solo drivers who have paid the toll and cheaters. And even though the plan calls for free access to carpoolers, what exactly locks that guarantee into the deal?

So I think there are plenty of questions that commuters should expect to have answered -- in public -- before Virginia proceeds.

Lots of comments to this blog (17 so far) with one individual trying to explain how they will enforce it and one ANTI-HOV rant which is the type of individual the politicians are trying to court.

Here's the link to the blog:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/getthere/
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2007 at 3:52pm
Eric Weiss of the Washington Post might be another source to write an article about the petition. The more people know about it can only help get signatures.
spidermonkey View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spidermonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2007 at 9:23pm
Yes, getting the media moving on this topic is crucial to getting more information out!

Way to go Scott!

I wrote Eric Weiss and others at other local papers, but haven't gotten (or seen) any reply.

I would encourage all who are interested to bombard our local media outlets with emails, letters, phone calls. This is the only way to get Washington DC area coverage on this issue which will raise awareness, and hopefully, generate mass outrage at what VDOT is doing to our publicly funded roadway---the one that thousands of DC area commuters rely on daily.

Keep the efforts up folks. It is not in vain (yet).

spidermonkey
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2007 at 4:55pm
I sent an email to Channel 9 news asking if they would broadcast a segment about the anti-HOT lanes petition. Sent them links to the petition and the slug page to get locations where they can interview the drivers/riders and requested they mention the petition on air to alert people to its existence. I told them it was similar to the anti-abuser fee petition voicing strong opposition to the addition of HOT lanes to the HOV lanes, and pledging that if delegates vote to approve the agreement between the Commonwealth of VA and Fluor without getting any concessions from Fluor that carpools will always ride free (thereby protecting the slug line) then the undersigned would not vote for them in the November elections.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic